India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

20 hours ago, kishorerao said:

Guys can someone please suggest the route and pit-stops to Ooty from Hyderabad and best place to stay in Ooty

I'm planned to go on 16th December 2018

Welcome on board  Kishor. 

Hyderabad to Ooty can be done in a single day. 

You need to stop very early in the morning. 

How many days you are planning?

Ideal plan :

• Start early morning at 5AM from Hyderabad
  • Reach Mysuru by evening 
  • Take accommodation in Mysuru 
  • Start early in the morning from Mysuru and visit Bandhipur Safari, early morning at 5AM start is must since it is over crowded in December.  You may miss safari
  • Mysuru to Ooty has two routes, take 36 hair pin route, it is shorter and adventurous to drive 
  • Regarding places to visit in Ooty tell us your number of days.
  • Like 2

Hyderabad to Ooty road trip plan:

Day1 : Hyderabad to Mysuru

Day2 : Mysuru to Bandhipur Safari 

Day2 : After Safari visit Ooty

Day3 : Ooty local exploration

Day4 : Ooty local exploration

Day5 : Drive to Mysuru

Day5 : Visit Mysuru palace

Day 6: Mysuru to Hyderabad

Best places to visit in Ooty'

• Upper Bhavani Lake
  • Emerald Lake
  • Avalanche Lake
  • Botanical Gardens
  • Doddabetta Peak
  • Cairn Hill
  • Bandipur forest safari
  • Kotagiri
  • Coonoor

Check this link for more details:
https://www.india-drive.com/index.php?/topic/251-hyderabad-to-ooty-road-trip-report/

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, kishorerao said:

Im planned to go on 16th dec 2018

Hi @kishorerao

Do check out the thread below for all the details regarding the drive to Ooty from Hyderabad.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2018 at 4:23 PM, kishorerao said:

Guys can someone please suggest the route and pit-stops to ooty from Hyderabad and best place to stay in ooty

I'm planning to go on 16th December 2018

Hi Kishore 

I have done the Hyderabad - Ooty during November First Week

We took Hyderabad - Kurnool - Anantapur-Bangalore-Mysore- Nanjangud-Gundlupete-Bandipur-Gudalue-Ooty

Road Condition:

Hyderabad to Bangalore - Super Smooth Road except few speed breakers 

Make sure you are crossing Bangalore before peak hour traffic

Bangalore - Mysore Road would be little busy 

Mysore to NanjanGud  Bandipur except few Roads are smooth

We took Gudalur Route i.e., Long Route instead of MaisanaGudi i.e., 36 hair pin bend route from Mudumalai

Make sure You Enter and cross Bandipur/Mudumalai before 9:00 P:M as Forest gates would be closed .

-- Being winters evening become dark soon and also expect Fog hence drive carefully in the ghat section and often it rains too

Bandipur Mudumalai Forest stretch has some speed breajers and Pot Holes too 

Gudalur to Ooty Stretch - Few places in the ghat has potholes and one must be extremely careful in negotiating the turns....

-- We stopped by Hotel Nandi Upachar Before Bangalore Near By Nandi Hills 

--  Ooty  A2B [ Adyar Anand Bhavan Hotel ] is the Best Hotel for Break Fast and Meals .

- Stayed at Hotel Preeti Classic Coonor Road - Its a  3 star Hotel and I know a friend in Mysore who works with a Travel Agency and he has booked the room for us

This Hotel has got 224 hour hot water supply and nice parking space....2700 Rs it was with extra bed as we were 4 Adults and  2 kids and 1 infant 

-- Note: Ooty hotel check-in timings are from 12:00 P:M Hence make sure to reach by 12:00 P:M and they count the day till 12:00 P:M Next day  , whatever time you check in

do check whether they have Hot water Supply through out the day .. I am attaching few hotel pics too

-- If you are doing Mysuru to Ooty in day time then try to visit Himavad Gopala Swamy Betta Temple took right and travel 11 km after Gundlupete...timings are 8:30 - 4:00 P:M

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4503.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

IMG_4535.JPG

IMG_4551.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4604.JPG

IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

IMG_4759.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0963.JPG

IMG_20181104_133820.jpg

IMG_20181104_134056.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:45 PM, travel.rtc said:

I have done the Hyderabad - Ooty during November First Week

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4503.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

IMG_4535.JPG

IMG_4551.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4604.JPG

IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

IMG_4759.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0963.JPG

IMG_20181104_133820.jpg

IMG_20181104_134056.jpg

Hi @travel.rtc, Thanks for sharing the essential details about your recent trip to Ooty. Have you done the safari at Bandipur?

I would recommend to cross the forest region and the 36 Hairpin section after Mudumalai before 6 PM at the max. Though the gates stay open, the road is pretty risky and the forest region would get dark during winters. You would not enjoy the forest drive after it gets dark too :) 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KSK
      We (my son and me) went to Kondaveedu Fort on Jan 13, 2019, in our Baleno. It is approximately 275 km from Hyderabad, and drive time is around 5-1/2 hrs.

Route:
      Hyderabad -> Narketpalli -> Narsaraopet -> Phirangapuram -> Kondaveedu Fort

Short Note:
      Kondaveedu Fort is situated in a beautiful spread of Kondaveedu mountain ranges, located 1700 feet above the sea level and at a distance of 26 kms from Guntur, Andhra Pradesh. The fort being located on a hill top, the view from this place is awe inspiring. And driving through the newly-laid continuous hairpin bend (almost 20) ghat road is exhilarating to say the least. It is a shame that this beautiful place, once flourished as the capital of Reddy kings, could not fast become a tourist hotspot. It is only in recent years, tourists from across the state are thronging the place and enjoying the scenic beauty of the area.

We started from Hyderabad at 5:30 am and reached the fort by 10:30 am. We drove to the top of the hill, spent some time, took some photographs, enjoyed beautiful view of natural scenery and returned back. Unfortunately, we could not get into the fort as renovation work was still going on. Later, we went to Mangalagiri and Kanuka Durga temples and returned back to Hyderabad same day by 7:15 pm. Total trip distance was 635 km.

Since Kondaveedu Fort can be reached easily via road and has excellent roads, I would recommend going here for a picnic and returning on the same day. However, if you want to crash, put up in any hotel in Guntur. Although the roads have been maintained, there are not many options for food and drinks around the fort. However, presently renovation work is going on and no tourists are allowed to go to the top of the hill. We were fortunate enough to be allowed.

• By TDI
      *All pictures will be posted at the end of the topic*

Total Odo was 2600kms. We did it in 3 full days.

The initial thought was to go Goa.
      But I heard that, Munnar temperature is dropping to sub zero and we can experience frost and fog.
      So I convinced my brother for Munnar road trip. I thought of taking my Mitsubishi Lancer (1999 model, Stock condition). but dont want to take risk in ghat section. My brother owns Hyundai Eon newly bought. Hardly we are 2 and can go without missing any space comfort.

Planned to go by 10th of Jan in the early morning 3 Am. But due to my hectic second shift timings, I couldn't had enough sleep. 

10th Jan 2019, Thursday

Woke up at 7am and took Orr at ghatkesar entry and halted Shamshabad by 9am. Had good breakfast started by 9.30. I have taken the pilot charge and slowly accelerated to 100kmph. we feel the small car Eon is stable at 100kmph for cruising and braking. didnt gave halt anywhere. by 12:30 we skipped kurnool and halted for lunch at Ananthapur by 14:30.

The temperature outside is around 30* . felt bit irritating in driving. slowly crossed penukonda and took halt for petrol pump.
      There I spotted KIA's new sedan. photos will be attached at end. departed from that place and seen KIA's plant for the first time. Its a very large.
      Realised that our average speed is coming down. then we planned to skip Bangalore city. Google maps didn't shown proper route. but I followed the suggested route by one of our members. ( He is Mr. ***)

We have taken branch lane at devanahalli town and heading towards Hoskote.
      Its a single lane and bad road. full of traffic with loaded trucks. didnt check the time but we reached Hoskote. (Hoskote is on Bangalore- Tirupati highway * Old Madras highway formally).

Then next hurdle we have to cross Hosur. Even this is a very busy road. can see lot of cabs and loaded truck. We reached Hosur by 19:00 approx.

Thats where we took back our NH7/ 44. Thats full of 6 lane and full of hectic moving traffic. all people are rushing minimum speed of 80kmph. Their all driving shows full of recklessness.
      all junctions are equipped with blue LED lights blinking in weird way. its very disturbing. We crossed krishnagiri and felt happy after that. All chennai pax diverted completely.

Slowly we reached dharmapuri by 20:30. Had Excellent dinner at Arya's bhavan. Proceeded towards Salem. Basically Salem is a very main junction. It holds roads coming from chennai side, bangalore side, coimbatore/ kochi side and kanniyakumar/ Madurai side.

All the national highway through salem is like gliding on the city with one single fly over. Awesome roads those are. The advantage of taking NH7/44 is, we no need to divert anywhere. all the road join this highway and divides their own. 
      Now, I feel bit drowsy and heading to Dundigul. Any how I managed 80kmph and used all my energy to reach dindugal. There we have to take right towards Theni/ Munnar.

11th Jan 2019, Friday

Almost 00:30 we took right turn towards Theni/ Munnar. we can use same road for Kodaikanal also. I handover steering to my brother and took power-nap.
      Its a double road without divider. Every junction, there are strong barricades arranged in zigzag way.  Somewhere before theni. A police checkpost arrived. police asked us the details and check our luggage, car and car docs. they allowed to pass from there. Later crossing then, ghat started with a strong hairpinbend. 
      The road has fresh tarmac and having cat eyes. Lots of hairpin bends and the elevation taking us drastically up. I feel temperature is coming down for every 2-3 hairpin bends.
      approx 40-50 curves and easy 20 hairpin bends we crossed, (Watch for fallen stones on the road) and reached kerala border checkpost. through out ghat we got 4G internet (FYI).
      thats where we had great ride seriously. And from then around 80kms , its a bad road. some places with no road. We can clearly seen the roads are washed out due to land slides. The temperature is really chilling outside. finally we reached Devikulam. At this place I have seen clear sky with infinity stars shining. This will be the best place for night photography. by this time its our own risk. we cannot spot any human presence. those are very remote places during night. by 05:00 we reached munnar. and my brother booked a nice room at pallivasal. its on munnar kochi ghat.

Had sleep till 10am and woke up.  just took drive aback to munnar and had a very good breakfast at sangeetha restaurant(Pure veg). took drive to Top station. we can spot a big lake with dam and tea plantations while going. the climate was not so good to enjoy and photography. may be I reached in wrong time. Try some farm fresh carrots at stalls. be prepare for parking. as thats a narrow stretch, so can take parking a bit outside. I collected the information about the cold place where the temperatures goes subzero.
      We are completely tired and driven back to room and had sound sleep very early.

12th Jan 2019, Saturday

Woke up in the morning 5 and vacated our room by 5:50. took drive to munnar first and had tea in a bakery. Thats too chilling climate outside. I can approximate 6-7* C.
      We were actually returning to Hyderabad by covering few places. I took the drive and heading towards Udumalpet.  while going out from munnar, I saw people gathered beside a small lake.

There I found water is emitting vapor. After getting down from the car, literally my fingers were freezing. I have taken my jacket and camera with me. 
      Spotted frost on grass and photographed few moments.between beautiful sun rise moments started. So I decided to move on from that place.
      The road again going up from the actual plane. There we crossed so many tea plantations. these are actaully beautifull than top station plantations. the road is bit mixed with bad patches. overall you fell, this what munnar is.

U can see a mile stone mentioning about sea level. thats 5500 meters. I missed to take that click. after going some distance, the road slowly takes to you to down. Later you will enter into annamalai wild life reserve. the road is bit narrow. u will follow a valley through out in the right side. be very careful on that road with upcoming traffic. 

By 9:00, we reached a forest checkpost. Hardly its 15 kms to Udumalpet. then we have to take to left towards Coimbatore. with the help of google maps we skipped coimbatore. reached mettupallyam by 12:00.

Had good lunch at Kallar Railway gate. 

My brother taken the steering for nilagiri ghats. this is bit tough than munnar ghat in traffic and ghat elevation. I didnt planned any ste visits in ooty except chocalates shopping.
      we continued to masinagudi, thats actually 70kms to get down. there is another route, which can takes u down in just 35kms. unfortunately traffic police not allowing any vehicles. probably its a one way.

we crossed mudumalai and bandipur. later halted at nunjangud for sacks. took mysore outer ring road towards bangalaore. he still we can skip bangalore city while coming from mysore side. we can take left at Maddur, towards Kunigal. the road is 2 lane without divider and occational speed brakers. thats awesome road u can drive. After reaching Kunigal, u can find an awesome Mangalore bangalore highway with 4 lane with divider. U can take that road till Nelamangala. after reaching nelamangala, u can take road to dodballapur and then to chikballapur. these two road are with bad patches and will all single road. There we have taken our NH7/ 44 towrds Hyderabad. My brother driven all the way to hyderabad with 3 power naps.

13th Jan 2019, sunday
      We reached Hyderabad by morning 9:30 safely.
      All the photos can be accessed through below link.

• Gandikota meetup on January 26 and 27th