India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Hi team, 

Last week my friends have been here and camped at this view of the Gandikota gorge.. Sharing the pictures here 😊

F816F023-8A1F-48CA-AAD1-DC1651F60480.jpeg

B4F296FA-3F32-4BEA-803F-ADA49D7CCEBE.jpeg

5F7AFB2D-A7B3-4F55-90D7-6FA307BA6F8C.jpeg

39C85883-875F-445B-A75D-44372B81D2F1.jpeg

5954BDE2-384B-4EE5-BF51-61A1C6FAE978.jpeg

20A20F55-5619-4A4A-84D7-47F26CBE10A5.jpeg

6CBD1B9C-82EC-4E7C-8994-D0EFEB531FC2.jpeg

77FE0E95-9BBD-46CC-AF47-36EB2339762F.jpeg

E2CE042A-5268-4C14-AB76-0EA38BB30290.jpeg

2A3F6B1D-5A3F-4EF9-B17B-507BDF169D51.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice share Sudhir, SO this was the camping ground on the edge of the gorge which everyone were talking about all this while :D 

• Like 5

Yes, after going through this discussion, I wanted to share these pictures of the campsite. Looks beautiful. These were clicked with their mobiles so, couldn’t get them well but I can imagine the kind of sunrise they have enjoyed at this site 😍

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, hsudhir said:

Yes, after going through this discussion, I wanted to share these pictures of the campsite. Looks beautiful. These were clicked with their mobiles so, couldn’t get them well but I can imagine the kind of sunrise they have enjoyed at this site 😍

True. They might have woken up to a beautiful sunrise view at the gorge. Could you share the price details of the campsite at this place ?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hsudhir said:

Last week my friends have been here and camped at this view of the gandikota gorge.. Sharing the pictures here

Thank you for sharing.
Moving it to a separate post.

So that it will be helpful for other members. 

Can you get more information about pricing and facilities?

• Like 3

Is it private camping ground, 

Can't we take our own tents?

Is it legal camping?

• Like 2

Gandikota changed a lot since my last visit. 

I went there in 2014,

Place is almost empty, we are the only people in Harita resort.

Now it is very difficult to find an accommodation during a weekend. 

It became very commercial.

Camping is exciting.

Hope ID team plans a meetup to Gandikota. 

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Ravi
      Right from childhood, I always had this inner desire to stay alone for a certain period of time, do my chores, live my life all by myself, without my mother helping me nor my dad telling me what to do. I wanted to lead an independent life. This was because I never left home for any part of my life. So I took up this oath for myself that I would travel solo for at least 1 week of the 52 weeks in a year.

This year,2017, was no different. It was 4 day trip within the Telugu states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.

Hyderabad- Srisailam-Nalla malla forest- Nalla malla jungle camps- Gandikota- Hyderabad

The numbers :
      Car : Hyundai elite i20
      Mileage : 16.5kmpl (tank full to tank full)
      Total trip : 935kms

It was not a pre- planned trip. Just as when things at home were at peace, a little effort to persuade mom paid off, a quick search in the India-drive paved the way for this trip.

A Teaser !

Day 1
      Drive day is the only day I would wake up so early in the morning (read 4 am) without even alarm setting off.
      Started at 5 am, and the plan was to reach Srisailam Dam before crowd sets in and explore the route from Srisailam temple to Nalla Malla Jungle resorts

Gachibowli ORR - Dindi Reservoir- Srisailam

Smooth roads and early morning fog made the drive refreshing!

Reached Dam by 8:30am, crowd was sparse

Clicking ample pictures, chugged along at a leisurely pace

Moving along reached the top of Srisailam. I wanted to savour the moment, found a calm place over looking the dam. Spent a moment in tranquility and drove on.

I am a self proclaimed atheist, so skipped visiting the temple and drove down the hill towards Dornala.

With smooth tarmac and winding Ghats, the roads up until Dornala Junction were smooth as silk

The drive got rugged and bumpy after taking a right at Dormala Junction, leading towards Bairutly on the Vijayawada- atmakur Highway.The road passes through thick and dense Nalla Malla Forest.It is a single lane, potholed road with heavy truck traffic, often veering off the road to allow truck to pass by.

As irritating as it can get, and as bumpy as it could be, the silence in the forest and green cover has more than made up for the effort put in driving through this route.

Stopped by a thick canopy of heavily grown bamboo trees/plants on either side of the road, turned off the engine, windows rolled down and a breath of fresh air brushes your hair.

Blisss!! Savour the moment!The canopy was so dense, even sunlight couldn’t peek through, hence no photographs!

Reached Nalla Malla Jungle Camps by 2:30pm. The manager was kind enough to arrange for some home made meals for my lunch.
      The resort had 4 double occupancy cottages and 3 tent like looking rooms and one dormitory.

This was my allocated cottage!

The rest of the day was spent in leisure, talking to the staff about the safari the next day and their lively hood in such dense forest.

Day 2
      It was quite a while since I had such peaceful sleep. Owing to such calm, non-polluted area and beautifully maintained rooms sound sleep was inevitable.

Since it was holiday and festival of Diwali, the resort had no guests. I was the only moron I guess who wanted to elude the city pollution.

So I had the whole day to myself and I was up and ready by 6am for the safari.

A quick breakfast and off we went

The safari vehicle

The crew consisted of a driver (working as a driver for forest officers for the past 6 years) and local ‘gudem’ guy, Saidulu, who entered the safari vehicle with an axe. Safety I would think!

It was a 8km circuit through the jungle I was told and would take about 2 hours for the safari

When I asked the driver, what would be the odds of finding the Big Cat, he replied recklessly “very very very slim”

Just then, he slammed the brakes of the shoddy safari vehicle and spoke to Saidulu

He got down with the axe and did this ..

Meanwhile,continuing my chat with the driver and looking around to spot the tiger, he asked me to get down the vehicle and walk with him. Apparently he found something odd at a distance.

Walking along..

“Its a female” the driver reckoned!

How? I spurted out!

Looking at the edge of those pug marks, the rounded edges denote female. Male would have claws which would have dug deep into the mud, he explained!

We decided to leave the vehicle behind and start walking.

In excitement left my Camera in the vehicle (Facepalm Moment!)

As we walked along, we found more pug marks and we were sure to find a few a small distance ahead.

We walked for almost an hour, in search of the Wild cat but to no avail.

We came across one of the bunkers/ rest areas for men who patrol the forests. There is one such bunker for every 40sqkm and they have 8 men guarding the area round the clock from poachers!

Sadly though there have been reported cases of deaths caused by Tiger attacks on these men.

This is the path taken by people who visit the Holy shrine of Srisailam during Maha Shiva ratri.This path transverses through the thick jungle, amassing a distance of 80kms.

Enroute they have 3 pitstops, each at a temple which provides free food.They would cover the distance in about 11hrs flat.

We were already Walking along the thick forests for almost 3hrs now and I was almost drained.

Spotted a few deers here and there

We sat down at a small pond under the shade of a tree.

I asked Saidulu more about his life and what do they do to survive.

He very simple replied “ government free rice isthadi, avi udakapedithe ganji osthadi, ullipaya & mirapakaya ikkada pandistham, aviti tho tinestham.dabbulu sampadinchali ani em undadu saaru ikkada”

(Translation: Govt gives free supplies of rice, we cook and extract porridge. We grow onions and chilli, we eat rice along with it. We don’t think about earning money)

He was very vivid in whatever he told us, what problem they often encounter, how his childhood was.

After a while he was kind enough to invite me to his ‘Gudem’

It was an hour walk through the forest again. My eyes never stopped trying to spot a tiger though.

There were about 35 people living in the ‘gudem’. They seemed content with what all they had, the kids were smiling and the ladies had their own avagatxion of either raising kids or singing their daily chores away.

Lunch, was their staple food. A bowl of rice porridge, onion and chilli as accompaniment!

(Left my camera in the vehicle & phone battery drained out. Hence no pictures)- Sorryyy

After spending time with the local ppl , we started our long walk back to the resort. While we were walking back i was fortunate enough to spot a few cubs playing at a distance.

No means to capture, it was just see and enjoy.

After a long day, dozed off early as I had made plans to visit Gandikota the next day.

Day 3:
      Plan was to reach Gandikota as soon as possible and relax during sunset time at the view point.

After breakfast, spoke to the manager there and bit adieu to the staff.

Bairutly- Atmakur-Jammalamadugu- Gandikota

It was a 3.5hrs drive with roads varying from single late to beautiful 4 lanes.

Reached Gandikota by 2pm.

Explored the surrounding area of Kottalapalli, famour for windmills

The service road leading to the Windmills

It was too hot and humid, and I drove back to the resort to rest till evening.

Made it to the view point by sunset time, and it was heavily crowded.

Had an early dinner and dozed off. The beds and rooms were ill maintained at Haritha resort. I could barely sleep.

Day 4:
      Woke up early, had little breakfast at the resort and started my drive back to Hyderabad by 8 am

Gandikota-Kolimigundla-Belum Caves-Owk-Betamcherla-Orvakal-Kurnool-Hyderabad

All the rounds were either 2lane or 4 lanes opening upto beautiful lush green fields on either side of the roads.

Stopped by Owk Resevoir, which was full owing to bountyful rains they received this year

Had lunch at food pyramid at Kothakota.

Reached hyderabad by 1:30pm

The car was battered to the maximum extent with dust and mud and it was cleaning time in the evening.

It got all the pampering it deserved

All in readiness for the next drive!!!

Until then, Drive safe!!!

P.S : After I forgot to carry my camera during the safari, I have decided to make this " All Mobile camera pictures only" trip. Sorry for the shady images if any  

• By Freakouts Adventure
      Hello, we are going to conduct event for corporate team outings for the people who are looking for destinations from hyderabad for weekend getaways. You can book if you would like to go for a night camping in Island which is located in Lakavaram Lake. 

Hyderabad to Laknavaram Trip

Distance :                                            210 Kms
      Journey time :                                    5 Hours (Own vehicle) 
      Activities at Lakanvaram Island:     Kayaking, Night Camping, Water Roller, High Rope Activities

For Bookings visit this link: http://www.freakouts.com/campsite-laknavaram-lake
    • By Fly With Shaunak
      Visiting a friend in Hyderabad and thereafter traveling to Gandikota & Belum Caves as a part of blogging trip / exploration...  

I will be leaving from Pune by train on 11th Aug 2017 at 7 pm. Any one willing to join are most welcome. 
    • By varunc
      This was in August 2014 after a very boring and hardworking week which meant we had to get away on a drive to chill out. So after browsing for places nearest to Hyderabad, we narrowed down on Gandikota, popularly known as the Grand Canyon of India. Gandikota is located in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh and got its fame due to the gorge formation caused by the river Penna. 

Planning:

When: August. 1
      Drive: Ford Fiesta
      Fuel Type: Petrol
      Route: Hyderabad - Kurnool - Gandikota
      Distance: ~400 kms
      Local Tour Distance: ~100 kms
      Time: 9 p.m. (August 1st) - 1 a.m. (August 2nd) {4 hours including breaks}
      Mileage: Avg. 16 kmpl (with AC)

Places:

Orvakal (Natural rock formations)
      Belum Caves
      Gandikota - The Grand Canyon of India

Route: Hyderabad ---> Kurnool ---> Orvakal ---> Belum Caves ---> Gandikota ---> Gooty ---> Hyderabad.

Execution:

Our initial plan was to start in the wee hours of Saturday and reach Gandikota by evening but changed our plan and left on Friday night. The journey began at 9:00 p.m. from Manikonda and got onto the brilliant ORR and Bangalore highway. After a seamless drive till Jadcherla, stopped for dinner at our favorite restaurant called 'Drive-In' which is on the highway after crossing the toll at Jadcherla. After a sumptuous dinner, we continued our journey and reached Kurnool town at around 12:30 a.m.

Not having made any prior reservations, we went in search for a hotel to crash for the night. Based on suggestions in Google, we zeroed in on DVR Mansion near SBI circle. It was a pretty decent deluxe AC room. With lot of driving to be done the next day, we dozed off and got up fresh at 7:00 a.m. in the morning. After some nice complimentary breakfast and coffee, we checked out and started our journey to Orvakal Rock Garden, our first destination of the day.

Orvakal is a place situated about 30 kms from Kurnool on NH-18 which is the Kurnool-Ongole route. It is famous for its natural igneous rock formations. Although the AP Tourism website claims to have boating and rock museum, we couldn't find either and there was construction work going on. After a slight drive up-hill, we had a decent view from the top with the rocks in the background. We started to get some clicks with our new Nikon D3200. Next on the list was Belum Caves.

Glimpses of the rock garden

Beautiful natural igneous rock formations

Our drive up the picturesque landscape

And our principal photography began

Orvakal rock gardens is a mix of sandstone & limestone all over

We got involved in some 'Rock Climbing' activities

We stopped at a longer crack, probably about 20-25 ft high

Belum caves, supposedly the longest caves in India after Borra, is about 80 kms from Orvakal. The route is decent not the 4-lane highway so took us about 2hrs to reach the place with breaks. There was an entry fee of about Rs. 50 and we went exploring deep inside the caves. People with breathing problems have to be careful as the caves are quite deep with not many air vents. After taking several pictures of the beautiful caves, we were completely exhausted by the time we finished our exploration.

Few pictures of our journey down to the Belum Caves

Entrance to the caves, Tunnels inside the caves and broken stalactites.

And our underground rocks tour begun

The second largest cave and one of the longest caves of the Indian Subcontinent

Sculpted by nature, Belum caves have spacious chambers, passages, all creations of the water flow

Main Sections of the Belum Caves

A stone pillar inside the Belum Caves

Carves formed by the flow of underground water

One of the small caverns

The lighted up narrow pathway

Caves photo-walk

Muted lighting adds to the mystery and beauty of these caves

• Mobile App downloads