India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

SK01

Detailed Discussion on Tyres

Tyre Brands  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite tyre brand? (India)

• Micheline
    • Bridgestone
    • MRF
    • Yokohama
    • Pirelli
    • Continental
    • Goodyear
    • JK
    • Apollo

I have recently upgraded to Continental tyres along with 15inch alloy wheels(which are white).

Got a good deal at Stunnerz Madhapur.

I got everything inclusive for 38k.

Once I get time, I am planning to paint the alloys to black, what do you guys suggest? 

• Like 1

I have recently upgraded to Continental tyres along with 15inch alloy wheels(which are white).
Got a good deal at Stunnerz Madhapur.

I got everything inclusive for 38k.
Once I get time, I am planning to paint the alloys to black, what do you guys suggest? 

How much did the tires cost?
  • Like 3

I don't remember the exact split up.

I have upgraded to 195/65/R15 continentals.

Once I get time, planning to get the wheels painted!

IMG_20180810_151153-02.jpeg

IMG_20180810_135902-01.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/14/2018 at 11:13 AM, karthik said:

In simple words,

Bridgestone : Durability

Micheline : Performance (less noise, comfort) 

I feel Micheline's are perfect for highway drives. Specially for sedans.

Also consider Continental's they as good as Micheline. 

Speed rating:

indice-vitesse.jpg.3b092451c818b61733d16491319a9f69.jpg

Load rating

Load_speed_index1.png.5ff4b604055e640f5e0fa2cd5a9c2868.png

how to read tyre specs:

tyre-size-chart-south-tire-specs.jpg.534077485e06c6fb1d98b8e26f2b5c7d.jpg

What’s the use of larger rim size? I see manufacturers giving larger radius for their top end models. For SUVs what kind of rim size is preferred? Smaller one or else larger one?

• Like 2

I guess most of us seems to confuse between tyres, rims and which one to go!

Regarding Rims:

• Don't change your rim size unless you know what you are doing. This will directly impact suspension setup. 
  • Some of the brand top cars do give higher rim size. If suspension parts are same for lower model vs high end model, it's safe to upgrade. This is not true for luxury or performance oriented cars. They do have different suspension parts for top end variant.
  • Is it worth to upgrade my rim size? Unless you are driving performance oriented car or by upgrading to higher rim size, you are getting too good tyre (better brand/performance/comfort), it's not worth at all and remember higher the rim size, pot holes damage your car more. Upside, if you get better tyre, the handling performance increases drastically

Regarding Tyres:

• As mentioned earlier, there are multiple types of tyres exist (comfort, performance, long running)
  • Typically Bridgestone/Apollo/MRF and other brands offer hard wall compund tyres. These tyres take lot of abuse and runs for miles. Downside, they deliver performance nature
  • All performance oriented tyres are soft wall compound tyres. They are perfect for high speed cornering to better breaking. Downside, they dont run for long and can be noisy. Potholes can easily damage them and pricey.
  • Comfort oriented tyres offers blend of long running and smooth riding. Best of both worlds, master of none

• Like 3

18 hours ago, nitin88 said:

I guess most of us seems to confuse between tyres, rims and which one to go!

Regarding Rims:

• Don't change your rim size unless you know what you are doing. This will directly impact suspension setup. 
  • Some of the brand top cars do give higher rim size. If suspension parts are same for lower model vs high end model, it's safe to upgrade. This is not true for luxury or performance oriented cars. They do have different suspension parts for top end variant.
  • Is it worth to upgrade my rim size? Unless you are driving performance oriented car or by upgrading to higher rim size, you are getting too good tyre (better brand/performance/comfort), it's not worth at all and remember higher the rim size, pot holes damage your car more. Upside, if you get better tyre, the handling performance increases drastically

Regarding Tyres:

• As mentioned earlier, there are multiple types of tyres exist (comfort, performance, long running)
  • Typically Bridgestone/Apollo/MRF and other brands offer hard wall compund tyres. These tyres take lot of abuse and runs for miles. Downside, they deliver performance nature
  • All performance oriented tyres are soft wall compound tyres. They are perfect for high speed cornering to better breaking. Downside, they dont run for long and can be noisy. Potholes can easily damage them and pricey.
  • Comfort oriented tyres offers blend of long running and smooth riding. Best of both worlds, master of none

Very well written. So you mean to say higher the rim size, higher the performance and higher the damage on bad roads. Smaller the rim size, lower the performance and lesser the damage on bad roads isn’t it?

and what are the benefits with smaller radius  tires

and larger  radius tires? 

Edited by SK01
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2019 at 11:57 AM, SK01 said:

So you mean to say higher the rim size, higher the performance and higher the damage on bad roads.

It all depends on tyre profile. 

When you up size the rims from 14inch to 15 inch, the tyre profiles (side wall height in layman terms) should go down in order to maintain the same radius. 

search_tyre3.png

For Indian roads anything below 60 ride quality goes down unless your suspension setup is good. 

Upgrading from 165mm to 175mm (width) wont make a huge difference. 

Upgrading from 165 to 205mm, difference can be felt.

You can use this calculator to understand how upgrade works.
http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm

• Like 2

I had BRIDGESTONE tyre in TOYOTA ETIOS VD-SP, but after crossing 41000 km , both front tyres punctures.It took me around 3 to 4 months to detect the punctures as they leak  very slow. The pressure was coming down to 25/22/18 PSI from 35PSI in 3 to 4 days time. First  time when I really suspect the puncture ,I got them repaired in HARSHA TOYOTA during my annual service . After that FRONT RIGHT was ok but FRONT LEFT started giving issues after some long drives.  After 1st repair at HARSHA TOYOTA ,  the front left tyre  punctured 3 times around the same place.  By that time my ODO was reading around 43000 km (FEB-2019).  Despite of this PUNCTURE issue , all 4 tyres looks to be perfect. The TREAD DEPTH was absolutely perfect in all 

As the front left tyre developed frequent puncture issue, I was little nervous. Than considering the below factors , I decided to replace all 4 tyres in my CAR.Some people suggested me to replace only front two tyres  and even some suggest to replace only 1 tyre.....😃 However I stuck to my decission of replacing all 4. I am not sure If my decision was correct .........🤔🤔

1. The tyres  are now 5 year 6 month old. They are getting older and would have replaced them around 50000km.

2. As per HARSHA TOYOTA , they suppose to recommend the tyre replacement in next servicing

3.  My long drive habit.  The tyres must be in perfect shape.

I went for an urgent Tyre replacement on Sunday (3rd Feb 2019) . All the  Tyre shops around GACHHIBOWLI (MICHELIN, BRIDGESTONE,GOOD YEAR....etc) were closed except MRF (MRF Exclusive, Leela Tyres, Gachibowli). I did not have any other option as next day I was suppose to travel on official work for couple of days . So decided to go with MRF ZLX .... Each tyre cost me Rs. 4800 including fitting and replacement charges.... Total I paid Rs. 19200/-.

It is now almost 2 months, I am using MRF ZLX and did not feel much difference with BRIDGESTONE. Lets see how it goes  after some years...

Sometime I think I should have gone with MICHELIN/APOLLO after looking all the reviews....but is MRF is that bad ........😪 😪..after all it is also a trusted Indian brand. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BORNDRIVER said:

Sometime I think I should have gone with MICHELIN/APOLLO after looking all the reviews....but is MRF is that bad ........😪 😪..after all it is also a trusted Indian brand. 

Michelin is the best of the lot which is followed by Continental and next to consider would be Bridgestone.. It is better to ignore Apollo, MRF, Goodyear, JK tyre brands..

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, sagar said:

Michelin is the best of the lot which is followed by Continental and next to consider would be Bridgestone.. It is better to ignore Apollo, MRF, Goodyear, JK tyre brands..

Yup .....Truly speaking I listened CONTINENTAL for the 1st time....😃

As  I have already changed my Tyres with MRF ones...there is no look back.......😂😂  Lets continue and wait for next opportunity which may not come soon . Till that time use MRF to the best extent possible and enjoy drives..😃

As I said before recently I changed all my 4 tyres to MRF ZLX  at around 43K odometer reading (.5yr 6 months) The earlier ones were factory fitted (BRIDGESTONE).

What about the spare tyre ?

The  factory supplied spare tyre was  used only once at around 42.5K for 1 km only and it does not have alloy wheels. The MRF showroom guys told that the spare tyre is still in good condition and not to change  . So I did not change . Truly speaking I was  not sure what to do.

I have still kept two replaced BRIDGESTONE tyres as they still looks to be in very good condition. Should I replace the  spare tyre (used only once for 1km in 5yr 6 months time) with one of the used BRIDGESTONE tyre ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BORNDRIVER said:

Should I replace the  spare tyre (used only once for 1km in 5yr 6 months time) with one of the used BRIDGESTONE tyre ? 

Not required. You can leave it.
There wont be any problem as long as the tyre size is same (radius), grip/pattern/brand wont have any effect on overall drive.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Not required. You can leave it.
There wont be any problem as long as the tyre size is same (radius), grip/pattern/brand wont have any effect on overall drive.

Thank you Ranger. 

When I was replacing the old tyres with new ones , I just checked both were 185/60R15 84H, TUBELESS & STEEL BELT RADIAL. I did not check any other thing (I think I should have checked the MANUFACTURING DATEs.....Will go down and check now.....😃). Anything other to check when taking a new tyres ?

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:29 AM, BORNDRIVER said:

(I think I should have checked the MANUFACTURING DATEs.....

This needs to be surely known as the rubber for long in it's tyre shop starts to gets brittle when it is kept unused for a longer period. This also happens when the tyres on the car are not used for a longer period. Bobbles are formed on the tyres causing a bumping effect while running on the road for every rotation of it's wheel.

2 hours ago, sagar said:

This needs to be surely known as the rubber for long in it's tyre shop starts to gets brittle when it is kept unused for a longer period. This also happens when the tyres on the car are not used for a longer period. Bobbles are formed on the tyres causing a bumping effect while running on the road for every rotation of it's wheel.

I just checked MRF ZLX tyres in my car and found one tyre is 4918 and other one is 4818. So they are manufactured in Nov-2018 & Dec-2018 . I put them in Feb-2019 . I guess it should  perfectly alright.

However for other two MRF ZLX tyres , I could  not able to  find the same..... May be they are on the inner side of the car.  I can only see DOT 7R 90MLX...and no digit or number after that...

• Like 1

They should be alright having being manufactured just about an year ago by the time of your purchase .. Btw, Kudos to your patience for putting in this effort to know these details 😅

Completed 10k with my continental setup. They are silent and grip is excellent. Worth the investment. 

• Like 2

On 4/2/2019 at 9:09 PM, sagar said:

They should be alright having being manufactured just about an year ago by the time of your purchase .. Btw, Kudos to your patience for putting in this effort to know these details 😅

👍