Ranger

Dash Cams in India

Our traffic system is getting worst day by day. After lot of deliberation I finally took the plunge and bought a dash cam.

If you love doing road trips, it is a worthy Investment.

Advantages

-In India bigger vehicle is always guilty during accidents, It doesn't matter who made a mistake. Dash cam helps in getting the first hand evidence.

-Undisciplined drivers and abusers can be kept at a bay. Last week a cab driver(Innova) cutting lanes like a maniac got stuck behind me. After overtaking me he started abusing. I simply pointed the cam and he drove off.

-Record your road trips. You don't need to fiddle with your SLR if you find an awesome view while you are driving.

-These are widely popular in Russia. Come very handy specially during Insurance claims.

-You can easily capture the Hit and Run cases.

-In some remote areas people try to stage an accident to extort money from you. Dash cam helps in preventing it.

-Dash cams are getting advanced. Dash cams are now directly connected to phones via App.

-If you want to share any video you can easily transfer the video to your phone and share it. All this can be done without any external device.

• Like 2

How dash cam works?

Dash cam is a fix it and forget it device.

Dash cam will start and stop automatically as your car moves.

You don't need to fiddle with the controls every time.

Usual cameras write data to the memory card. Once the memory is full It stops working. But dash cam loops the videos, It will overwrite memory card on the top of the previous videos.

In the case of any misfortune event. Advanced dash cam automatically saves those videos to a different location preventing them from the over write.

Saved video consists of footage before and after the crash so that you don't miss any details.

Dash cam will have a wide angle lens It helps in covering more area than a regular cam.

Dash cams will have better night vision.

• Like 1

Dash cam Installation.

Model : Xiaomi YI Smart Car DVRPrice: 6k/- (ebay India)

Ebay link

It took one week for the shipment to arrive, It has one year seller warranty.

1.jpg

Unpacking : Package consists of a camera, glass mount, dual car charger and long wire.

2.jpg

Camera has 165 degree wide angle lens,which is very high compared to the other models in the market. I tried to purchase a black colour camera, but the stock is not available.

3.jpg

Camera settings.

6.jpg

• Like 1

Installation is very easy. mount the camera, tuck the long wire into roof lining followed by A-Pillar and dash board.No tools required for the set-up it just a plug and play.

image_2836.jpg

Camera mounted on the windshield. No dangling wires across the windsheild.

image_2839.jpg

View from the front. I have pasted a black carbon fiber sticker so that camera wont stick out.

image_2837.jpg

Dual charging point is included in the package.

image_2838.jpg

Build in Wifi Support. Download the YI DVR App. You can instantly share the pictures and videos.

image_2840.jpg

• Like 1

Nice post Gowtham.

It will be more helpful, if you can share some pictures and videos.

• Like 1

I am planning to do a small trip this weekend. I will share pictures and videos in the coming week.

@vijay

Please click on the link for the sample video. Will post more, when I get time.

• Like 1

Dash cams are really helpful!! Long story cut short! We faced a situation few days back where a speedy biker(without helmet) suddenly appeared infront of our car(moving slowly. I can say gear 1) and started blaming us pointing that it's our mistake.

We saved the video immediately from the dash cam and showed it to the people who surrounded us!!

Everyone realised whose mistake it was and dispersed!!

So guys dash cam is a must in every car!! Indian government should make it mandatory for every car makers to install the dash cam by default!!

• Like 2

Dash cams are really helpful!! Long story cut short! We faced a situation few days back where a speedy biker(without helmet) suddenly appeared infront of our car(moving slowly. I can say gear 1) and started blaming us pointing that it's our mistake. We saved the video immediately from the dash cam and showed it to the people who surrounded us!! Everyone realised whose mistake it was and dispersed!!

So guys dash cam is a must in every car!! Indian government should make it mandatory for every car makers to install the dash cam by default!!

Agree with you, It should be built in for the new cars.

Commercials vehicles and cabs should have them.

Government should impose a new rule, No insurance claim without a dash cam.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing guys..

It's a nice little device helpful to record and share all types of incidents happening during our every day drive, such as Bad Drivers,accidents etc. that would benefit a lot of people and also make them visually see things that we have actually witnessed...

Can you suggest the best available dash cam in the market..?

• Like 1

Hi, I recently bought this same Xiaomi YI Smart Car DVR which was shared in this post..

I'm very happy with this built quality and its resolution which not only helps me get good videos but also great pictures..

but i'm facing a visibility issue during the night drive in the cam..

Is there a better version for this as I do most night drives most of the time..

On 12/13/2016 at 2:40 PM, kamal said:

Hi, I recently bought this same Xiaomi YI Smart Car DVR which was shared in this post..

I'm very happy with this built quality and its resolution which not only helps me get good videos but also great pictures..

but i'm facing a visibility issue during the night drive in the cam..

Is there a better version for this as I do most night drives most of the time..

Actually I'm pretty new to this. I was surfing www.dashcamtalk.com

You may want to compare there and check

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vishu Varanasi said:

Gowtham -- thats an awesome post. Makes the whole topic pretty clear and simple.

BTW - Any more videos of the dash cam while driving?

Video from the dash cam during night. Watch in 1080P.

• Like 2

Srinivas :Just wondering, Can we use sjcam action cam as dash cam in car.

You cannot use action camera as a dash cam. Following are the reasons. 

1. Dash cam has Auto start and stop feature. No need to fiddle with controls every time you start the car.
  2. Dash cam has Accident detection, It automatically saves the video to a separate folder.
  3. Heat management, Action cams wont even last for month with continuous charge. 
  4. Wide angle, Dash cams generally has more coverage area than actions cams.
  5. Dash cam is like fix it and forget it. It cannot be same with action cam.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Vishu Varanasi said:

Here's how to change your yi dash cam from Chinese to English.

My dash cam is still in Chinese language.

But my mobile app is in English! 

You will hardly touch the dash cam once it is installed.

Did you receive your dash cam? 

Nice article.
Does it record rear view?

Miles to go before I sleep

• Like 1

Nice article.
Does it record rear view?

No it won't, only front recording.
  • Like 2