India-Drive
Sign in to follow this  
Pralay

Indian government BANS bull-bars on cars and SUVs: Action to start soon

Recently, The Ministry of Highways and Road Transport has banned all crash guards on cars and SUVs in India. A vehicle is designed to soak maximum impact of a crash and protect its occupants and the pedestrians. A crash guard alters the design and may result in a fatal injury to the pedestrian, or the occupants. It also violates the law, for increasing the predefined length of a car due to installing bull bars.

bumper-guard-s-cross-in-india-500x500.jpg.b04f4fd61fbc217578aad38696214210.jpg

front-grill-guard-for-eeco-sport-lfe026_p_1074984_81751.jpg.1eacfcdeabb42dbf825969c62906b272.jpg

download.jpg.9195a1b040e52716e163d8c497dcc336.jpg

In the next few days, RTOs and traffic police personnel across India may be seen acting against bull-bars & penalizing drivers for running them. Also they may insist getting these hazardous accessory removed from vehicles, which they did a few years ago, after a Supreme Court judgment made window tints illegal on cars running in India.

Though state notification in this regard, is not known at the time of writing this post, related letter issued by GOI is below:-

Bullbar-Banned-in-India.jpg.b569a6245bd252fb7409037f7a12a23a.jpg

This is really a welcoming move from the authority, hope more such rules will come up to take safety measures. Also I sincerely hope, RTOs & Police will not cause harassment in the name of power & also will not be ignorant when it comes to follow basic safety rules (wearing helmet, seat belts, wrong lane driving, triple riding etc.)

Cheers!

Images are representational purpose & not to harm any brand/company's goodwill. Image Courtesy: Google 

• Like 2

Lovely, I was expecting a post on this from you  a day ago when this news was out and there you go @Pralay Thanks much for sharing this with all the members and spreading the awareness.

I definitely feel that it is not a good sign to have a crash guard for these vehicles as they are not pedestrian friendly. These cars are produced on considering major aspects such as crash analysis w.r.t both pedestrian safety and in car passenger safety. And these bull guards change the whole dimension of this picture. Right step taken by the Government and I hope people would understand the situation by getting some awareness on this rule about its pros & cons and act accordingly.:)

• Like 1

Fantastic write up.

Finally a sensible decision by government. 

Bull bars are increasing at the alarming rate. 
Cabs like Xylo + Bull bar is a deadly combo, they drive as if they own the road.

Main disadvantages with bull bar

• It may block airbag sensor during a collision
  • Lack of pedestrain safety,  manufacturers work so hard on crumple zones to improve the pedestrian safety during a collision. 
  • Direct impact to chases during hi speed collision 

Waiting to see our Hyderabad police reaction.

8.JPG

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, sagar said:

Lovely, I was expecting a post on this from you  a day ago when this news was out and there you go @Pralay Thanks much for sharing this with all the members and spreading the awareness.

I definitely feel that it is not a good sign to have a crash guard for these vehicles as they are not pedestrian friendly. These cars are produced on considering major aspects such as crash analysis w.r.t both pedestrian safety and in car passenger safety. And these bull guards change the whole dimension of this picture. Right step taken by the Government and I hope people would understand the situation by getting some awareness on this rule about its pros & cons and act accordingly.:)

Thanks @sagar for your kind words! And I kinda like to share information or whatever little knowledge I have, so did It. :)

41 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Waiting to see our Hyderabad police reaction.

This is epic & @Ranger was spot on to find the picture!! :D:D 

Great man!

• Like 2

Haha.. That's a good catch @Ranger:D And I'm sure every Innova in Hyderabad has got that. My brain has been mapped at the moment in such a way that, I really am not able to recollect the way how this Innova looks without the bull guard :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, sagar said:

My brain has been mapped at the moment in such a way that, I really am not able to recollect the way how this Innova looks without the bull guard :P

After you pointed this out, morning I realised that, same goes for activa. Without those SS(or iron but steel plated) crash guard activa does not look complete. It matches so perfectly that, the original looks dull at times without those crash guard. :D

• Like 3

Haha... I just saw an active on my way to office without the bars and it looks very naked :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can still see many cars with bull bars.

Is the rule active?

My office cab has huge bull bar.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pralay said:

Meanwhile, Bull bar dealer takes Indian government to court against ban!! As per the source hearing is on 06.02.2018

Source: https://www.cartoq.com/bullbar-dealer-takes-indian-government-to-court-against-ban/

Haha... Pure stupidity. Inspite of acting against this after knowing the adverse effects and disadvantages of having a bull bar to any car, all they do is this now. I have gone through the news that the action by the cops has already begun by charging them with upto 5000 INR in Delhi. But, I still see our in town cop's Toyotas with the bull bars. I feel they haven't started it yet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pralay said:

Bull bar dealer takes Indian government to court against ban!!

This will at least take 1 year to come to a conclusion.
Slowly everyone will forget about it.

Most of our govt. guys have bull bars attached to their cars. 

As I mentioned earlier, I support this movement which are fitted on 4 wheels, however I am not convinced why the crash guards on a bike should be removed? The crash guard/leg guard had saved many rider in the past, from getting their leg injured. I own Activa & met with an accident few years ago, where I fell down on my left side with the Activa. You can find it here, in the prologue section:-

I can still feel the pain in my knee joint due to the fracture & ligament tear, while writing this post. Had there be a bike with a crash/leg guard my leg would have been saved & I could still run as fast as before! :(

Point is if some guard is saving someone then what's the problem. Also mostly these guards are not as much protruding as cars. What will happen? Probably it may result an unnecessary scratches on our car's side panel if rider want to squeeze in between, right? 

Firstly, the same can happen without crash guard as well. So scratches can never be ruled out even if these guards are uninstalled from the bikes. Scratches will bound to happen once you are on road, come on! Secondly, even if we agreed that scratches only happen due to these leg guards & not due to anything else, then what? After all, we can fix the panel & it will be as good as new, isn't it? With zero dep facility probably one need to pay some small amount, that's all. Heck, you can recover the entire amount from the biker as well. At least none will be physically hurt right? Because, my legs will never be like before, it can’t be repaired like a car, it can’t be repainted like a new one! :(

With no proper traffic control in most of the cities (forget about small towns), horrible road conditions (especially during monsoon when rider can’t judge the depth of water filled potholes), numerous jaywalkers, etc. bikers are more vulnerable than a car driver. In an event of going over potholes & falling down, these crash guards can save their legs. In an event of sudden crossing of other vehicles, biker may fall down to negotiate him, these crash guards will surely save them.

I hope authority will re-think the matter & will issue a further notification/circular to change the words suitably to provide exceptions to bikes.

PS: No I don’t own any bike, no I am not so called "rider". I love cars, but I love lives more than that.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 3:04 PM, shiva said:

I can still see many cars with bull bars.

Is the rule active?

My office cab has huge bull bar.

I think the rule is yet to be started in Hyderabad.

Meanwhile, yesterday, one of my colleague saved around 30K, based on my guidance & tips. Accessory shop quoted him around 34000/- for all the accessories including every kind of crash guards possible. He bought a Creta. Heck, why to put unnecessary things on such a lovely.. lovely looking car! I politely showed him this notification what he dint know about. I told every accessories in your list are useless, please don't waste money. But finally manged to convince him to remove accessories worth of 30K. Heck, whose money was that!!?? :D 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2018 at 1:05 PM, Pralay said:

But finally manged to convince him to remove accessories worth of 30K.

Haha, He is lucky to have you.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:05 PM, Pralay said:

Heck, why to put unnecessary things on such a lovely.. lovely looking car!

Current trend is alarming. 
Most of the so called SUV's have bull bars by default. 

Totally fed up with the cabs(specially Xylo and Winger) with bull bars.
They keep bullying other cars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ranger said:

Haha, He is lucky to have you.

Yes he was lucky indeed..:cooler: He started asking what else I can put on my car! (Oh god! if money is itching in your pocket, give me some!!:D)

I told you can fit a rolling sun shade, pure leather seat covers (no, the car does not have airbags on seats) and probably a cuff plate with LED logo!

• Like 2

On ‎11‎-‎01‎-‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Pralay said:

I think the rule is yet to be started in Hyderabad.

Meanwhile, yesterday, one of my colleague saved around 30K, based on my guidance & tips. Accessory shop quoted him around 34000/- for all the accessories including every kind of crash guards possible. He bought a Creta. Heck, why to put unnecessary things on such a lovely.. lovely looking car! I politely showed him this notification what he dint know about. I told every accessories in your list are useless, please don't waste money. But finally manged to convince him to remove accessories worth of 30K. Heck, whose money was that!!?? :D 

Haha.. Hyundai loots people on accessories. Good that you have guided your friend for his benefit. :D

1 hour ago, sagar said:

Haha.. Hyundai loots people on accessories. Good that you have guided your friend for his benefit. :D

No no, actually he got the quotation from accessory shop near Madinaguda. (So far as I remember, it was Scholar accessory shop, just behind Madinaguda up bus stop)  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pralay said:

No no, actually he got the quotation from accessory shop near Madinaguda. (So far as I remember, it was Scholar accessory shop, just behind Madinaguda up bus stop)  

Oh.. ok. Because, I had come across this situation during my car purchase which I felt were not needed. And they were costing a bomb.