India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Sign in to follow this  
SSSS

CB Radios - Worth to have one?

A small flashback [ As I recall, it was the summer of 2014, a group of 6 friends, 3 cars (Alto Lxi, Accent & Octavia) were on the way to get Lehd.

It was a dream come true for us, after a long planning of about a year and overcoming several problems including begging the manager for 3 weeks leave.

The trip initiated, Bangalore to Ladakh, a mighty trip for the little alto (a story to share). Everything was cool until we reached Manali and took a day halt to explore the region. Enjoyed the place and did what most of the grand torturers does on the way to Ladakh, get the car washed properly before leaving Manali.

We left manali a little late that day maybe at around 12 PM, the Accent started having issues and we felt maybe its because of lack of oxygen in the air, we were just 80 kms away from Manali and not even my Alto was feeling that stress. We continued the trip after the group's (self proclaimed) mechanic (Octavia's owner) inspected the car and gave his verdict as 'No Issue'.

Just after 40 more kilometres, the Accent stopped, and refused to start. The mechanic tried his best with his tool box but problem was nowhere to be found. We were stuck in middle of nowhere and it was dawn already. We decided that one car would go ahead and find some mechanic shop and arrange the tow, as we lacked the tow cable in our prep box. T

he Octavia left and we waited, been waiting from an hour now, and saw a local car passing by. Signaled them to stop and told them the situation, the friendly couple had a CB Radio in their car and they tried finding someone with a tow cable and found one Force Traveler nearby with the cable. We were saved, as the driver of the Van not only towed the car but also helped used finding the mechanic. Meanwhile the group's mechanic was roaming somewhere else trying to find something, definitely not HELP. ] End flashback

What is a CB Radio?

A CB or Citizen Band radio is for the purpose of general population use. This is a short distance radio communication system between individuals.

8cd6c242-85cc-470a-bef2-11a673b61e87_300

How important is CB (Citizen Band) Radio for a trip like Ladakh?

Somewhat important, it is useful when there is no mobile network available and a communication is required. But it is worth when more people have the CB radio in their vehicle and are actually tuned to the correct frequency. It is certainly useful for a group of cars travelling and wants to communicate (Clarkson - May - Hammond) while on the move. Yes a Walkie Talkie may fulfill the need but you would need a multi channel walkie talkie which again require a licence. Also, walkie talkie would require the charging and that means another dock on the dashboard, whereas CB radios can be connected to be battery directly and do not require any additional charging arrangements.

Are CB radios LEGAL in India and does it require any Licence? 

Absolutely Legal and No licence required. As the name suggests, Citizen Band radio is meant for the general population use.  There is a set  frequency band that extends from 26.957 MHz to 27.283 MHz. As per the  Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1933, by Notification No G.S.R. 533(E) dated 12 August 2005( Click here to read the Notification), the establishment of, maintenance of, working with, possession of or dealing with in wireless equipment operating in Citizen Band (CB) was exempted from licensing.

Why is CB Radio not very popular in India?

The answer is somewhat simple to answer, Indian market has seen the uprising of personal car market in only last two decades, where as before that the sale what somewhat limited and the buying power of consumer was low. In countries where like USA where CB radios are pretty popular and are general accessory of any long hauler. Even in India, many transport companies in order to make their truck, cargo and people safe are opting to get CB radios fitted in their fleet.

Albeit the concept is very old, in India the idea of having a two way radio in cars as an accessory is seldom.

channel.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent article @SSSS
We are planning to purchase CB radios from the past two years.
Some how I felt them too complicated/expensive.

Permission issues, bands, area of usage..list is endless.

Now I have decided to buy it.

I am looking at some thing that can communicate up to 500 meters, which is  good enough for my requirement.

Any suggestions?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ranger said:

I am looking at some thing that can communicate up to 500 meters, which is  good enough for my requirement

Most people consider US brands as the best, though most of them are now made in China. When I bought for myself, I went for Cobra. Cobra is considered one of the best. 500 meters is pretty low, a CB radio can easily exceed the range of 20Kms on plain terrain and at least 5 to 8 kms in forest or on hilly terrain. If 500 to 1 km is your requirement, i'd suggest a walkie talkie with 3 to 5 kms max range. These on one charge can easily work for 12 hours and keeping a spare battery would have enough juice to keep the talkie working for 24 hours straight. I brought one for myself while in UK in 2012 where it was legal but in India multi frequency scanners were illegal. But later when researched myself, found only those were illegal that can scan police frequencies. http://www.wpc.dot.gov.in/Docfiles/National Frequency Allocation Plan-2011.pdf . So mine were legal, but electronics brought on ebay don't last long, so does the talkie. 

3 hours ago, Ranger said:

Some how I felt them too complicated/expensive.

It is one of the easiest DIY you can perform on your car,

What is needed:

1. CB Radio [ UNIDEN , COBRA , MIDLAND ]

2. Antenna [ MIDLAND , COBRA ]

Power connectors comes with the CB Radio, but sometimes depend on the brand. Cobra and Midland do deliver the power cables and connection blue prints for easy install. Do look for which model comes with the bracket if you want to install it somewhere on dashboard. Otherwise would need to buy separately.

Antenna is very important, this allow the radio to transmit and receive signal more precisely. Two type of antennas are available, internal antenna which are fixed on top of front or back windshield and external antenna which are detachable and require a long wire when fixed on top of the car. The external antenna nowadays have suction cups for easy use. My experience say external antenna are much better than internal one as they have long thick copper wires and that wire also act as an antenna when power is on. 

Lastly, setting up and tuning the radio is also important, they come with a manual, but again they are just another gadget and I believe anybody can easily understand that part.

Thanks

~ Sam

• Like 2

I think CB  radio is legal in India.

I have ordered a set yesterday after seeing this post.

Model Baofeng BF-888s Walkie Talkie  (Black)

On 10/16/2017 at 2:15 PM, SSSS said:

Are CB radios LEGAL in India and does it require any Licence? 

The model that I bough it legal?
Can you please confirm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, karthik said:

I have ordered a set yesterday after seeing this post.

Great, Once you receive it let know.
We are planning to use them during meetups.

It can be very helpful during convoy drives.

Price looks very reasonable. 

What is the range? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ranger said:

What is the range?

It is under 5 kilometres. 

I read 

Citizen Band (CB) Radio, which has both base stations & walkie talkies can be used without a user’s license. They operate on 27 Mhz.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, karthik said:

Citizen Band (CB) Radio

CB Radio's are different from regular Radio's.
Please confirm with the seller, If they are license free.

• Like 2

Received my Kit,

According to my seller, it is 100% legal to use. 

Also, it can be tuned to CB radio frequency. 

Will check with local vendors. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By SSSS
      Hello fellow enthusiasts,

From last couple of month I have been planning a road trip from Hyderabad to Goa. Though I been to Goa last December for the new year celebration, but somehow google maps messed up the whole  trip and at some point of time I was driving on badly paved 8 feet wide road in some jungle which google considered the fastest(Google should also have an option to select 'Safe Roads'). Another issue I faced was the love of Karnataka for Speed breakers. So this time I am very much aware to be on the best route possible to avoid any such incidents. Some research online and on other forums yields the below routes.

Hyderabad - Goa
      Route 1
      Gachibowli -> Zaheerabad -> Humnabad -> Gulbarg -> Vijaypura -> Bagalkot -> Belgavi -> Baga  

Route 2
      Gachibowli -> Deosugur -> Raichur -> Bagalkot -> Belgavi -> Baga

Route 3
      Gachibowli -> Pargi -> Mudhol -> Shahabad -> Jevargi -> Sindagi -> Bagalkot -> Belgavi -> Baga

Which is the best route in terms of road condition at present? I hope to have better knowledge before I leave for Goa this time.

Also I want to know any Route via Maharashtra is suitable? If If after Vijayapura I can drive into Maharashtra and then to Goa.

Route 4
      Hyderabad --> Jadcherla --> Raichur --> Lingsugur --> Mudgal --> Hungund  --> Bagalkot --> Belgavi --> Kanakumbi --> Bicholim --> Baga (Goa)

Please Suggest. Thanks in advance.

Best places to visit in Goa and accommodation information 
      https://www.india-drive.com/index.php?/topic/9-go-goa-gone-hyderabad-to-goa/

~Sam

• By RajG
      After staying abroad for five years.
      I decided to come back to India for good.

Reason for the drive?
      You will find out soon.. 🙃

Top three places to visit in Chikmagalur:
      1. Mullayangiri
      2. Baba Budangiri
      3. Jehri waterfalls

Route 1:
      Best route from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur
      Hyderabad --> Kurnool --> Ananthapur --> Doddaballapura --> Visveswarapura--> Hassan --> Chikmagalur

Hyderabad to Doddaballapura : Excellent 4-lane toll road
      Doddaballapura to Visveswarapura : Single road, road condition is average, but helps in avoiding Bangalore traffic.
      You can skip Banaglore traffic using this bypass.
      Visveswarapura to Hassan : Excellent 4-lane toll road
      Hassan to Chikmagalur : Single road, road condition is excellent.

It took us around 13 hour to cover this route, while coming back from Chikmagalur to Hyderabad. 

Route 2:
      Worst route from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur
      Hyderabad --> Kurnool --> Ananthapur --> Challakere --> Hiriyur --> Chikmagalur

We took this route, while going from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur, just to check the status.
      It is a bad decision.  Roads are very bad once you divert from Ananthapur. There are some mud tracks. Too many diversions. No proper dhabas. No proper fuel options. Avoid this route at any cost.  

Hyderabad to Chikmagalur four days road trip plan and hotel details:

Day 1:
      Hyderabad to Chikmagalur town
      Accommodation in Chikmagalur town
      On day 1, it is better to take accommodation in the Chikmagalur town.
      Reason? Accommodations are cheap and good in the town.
      By the time you reach Chikmagalur it will be evening, it is better to stay in town.
      Most of the sight seeing spots are under 40~50 kilometres from the Chikmagalur town. 

Accommodation :
      Name : Hotel Blue Perl Chikmagalur Price : 2.5k per day (3 pax) Hotel Rating : 5/5 New construction Car parking is avilable Rooms are modern and neat Gobibo url  
      Day 2: 
      Chikmagalur town to Mulyangiri
      Mulyangiri is a must visit place in Chikmagalur, it is the highest peak in Karnataka. It is around 20 kilometres from town.  Roads are little tricky but, it is accessible by all cars. Dedicated car parking available 200 steps from the parking, need to some energy to climb. Carry water and don't litter. There is temple at the hill top, with beautiful view. Weather can be spoil sport, some time visibility is almost zero and some times it is clear. Luckily we experienced both  
      Accommodation :
      Name : Kuteer home stay Price : 14k per day (6 pax) Food : 4k per day (6 pax)  (Includes: Bonfire,Lunch, Evening snacks, Dinner and breakfast) Hotel Rating : 4.5/5 Food : Only vegetarian, but the quality is good, would rate 5/5 Location is tough to reach, low GC cars will have tough time.  But they have jeep facility (for less  experienced drivers better to take jeep and park the car at the parking) Resort is very isolated better to visit only in group. View from the resort is best. They have two villas, each villa can accommodate around 10 members.  Staff is very supportive.  Carry all the stuff along with you, there are no shops/hotels around the resort.  You can carry your own liquor but it is tricky if you get caught at the forest check-post. Forest check-post is present at the entrance of the hill section, they check the cars randomly. For booking you can call the resort owner. You need to do the full/advance payment while booking. Issues? Too many insects, but it is expected when we say in the nature.   
      Day 3
      Jahari waterfalls, it is around 2 kilomters from the home stay. You can visit this place in home stay jeep. 4x4 territory, don't attempt in your own car. Since we stay very close to waterfalls, we reached the place early. It is completely empty, not even a single person is present. Baba Budangiri is a must visit place.  Once you enter Baba Budangiri road drive till the end point, i.e Manikyadhara waterfalls. There are multiple view points.   
      Accommodation :
      Same as above

Day 4 :
      Drive from Chikmagalur to Hyderabad.
      It took us around 13 hours. We started around 9AM and we reached home around 10PM. We also tried the famous Kothakota chicken, food is strictly average.  

Total trip cost (6 members)
      Accommodation : 5k(day 1) + 14k(day 2) + 14k(day 3) = 33k Fuel : 11kmpl (1600 kilometres) = 10k Food : 3k(day 1) + 4k (day 2)+ 4k (day 3) + 4k (day 4) = 19k  
      Picture credits: @Ranger
    • By Krish
      A day to be remembered forever, 2016 is the year that I have joined in this beautiful group since then Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve was always on my bucket list. many attempts plan since then and nearly after two years, I got the chance to go. I don't want to stress more on the routes and other details as there are enough threads regarding the same. rather I would like to share my favourite photos that I have shot in my three days stay and safari and Pangdi and Madnapur gate. never the less I will share with you people some necessary information like stay, safari details, gates, and some knowledge of wildlife that I have gained. 

Started at 6:00 in the morning from Kompally and reached by 3:00 in the afternoon. remember that no one can help you with the routes. it's always better to contact someone at the resort and ask them to guide you in person. except Jio, no other sim card is going to work. I stayed at Mahua Tola Resorts, I can say that it is the best in the place. a  bit on the higher side, yet friendly staff, manager and good food. we were the only family the three days and never we felt insecure. Manager Shukla is a very nice person, he will come with us to the Safari and make it a very memorable and enjoyable one. 

Coming to the safari, it's always good to ask the resort people to book. because at the gate I have seen few facing some problems. if it's the resort people, its hassle free. this is personal opinion though. 

As people see, it's not so easy to spot a tiger. a tiger spotting depends on our luck. a tiger mainly sits just beside or few meters away from us inside the forest, yet not visible most of the time. it's just because of the bamboo trees. Tadoba is full of bamboo trees and that makes it very difficult to spot one even if it near us. you will be tempted by the pugmarks, but not always you'll see a tiger. I was really lucky to spot Tigress Junabai with her cubs on my last day safari with the resort manager Shukla at Madhapur gate. Ultimate sightings I can say. It is my father who spotted her while she was resting under a tree shade few meters away from us covered with bamboo trees. 

I'm not a pro, yet telling my experience with the camera focusing modes and how I got a perfect focus mode settings by experimenting and with the knowledge I have on focus modes which I have learnt studying few books, articles and discussing it in our WhatsApp group. 

The device, Sony Alpha A6000 with 55-210mm zoom lens. manual mode, shutter speed around 1/500 and above, ISO range 4000 (thanks to my cameras high ISO range ie, 25600), Aperture F:6.3

Focus Mode: Auto, Focus Area: Wide, Metering Mode: Multi

This was the mode that I have shot at first only to get the defocused face of a tiger. Thought "this is over, I'm not going to get any more beautiful photos". thought of the focusing modes and settings I have learnt before and adjusted it again to try my luck. 

Focus Mode: Auto, Focus Area: Centre, Metering Mode: Spot

And then I got some amazing pictures. 

Used Auto Focus Continues while the subject was moving and I can say that this is the camera for super fast autofocus. never missed a detail while shooting with this in AF-C mode. 
      You can check out the langur monkey and male spotted deer jumping. shot in AF-C mode with shutter sped around 1/1000 or above. couldn't get a zoomed one because of the lens. 

Here are the pictures. 

PS: I have written Neelghai female. but that's a male Sambar deer. 

• By SSSS
      Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Recently I was on a road trip to Goa and enjoyed a lot. The hunger of being on road never ends, so with some long discussion with my better half and parents, we came on a decision to take a Road Trip to Bhutan. The plan is set, dates are fixed and I have started working on the itineraries. The chosen month is April, as very less time is left, I am turning to you guys to suggest me the required preparations for the trip. We would be four travellers, the vehicle would be Hyundai Xcent SX 2016 model with less than 10K on it. As it is my parent's car and is mostly driven by the driver, I'd be getting everything serviced. The trip would start from Jabalpur (M.P) to Thimphu (Bhutan) to Jabalpur (M.P). An approximate total of 3500Km, plus 300km miscellaneous. I have some questions and would really appreciate if get the answers from the experienced people of this forum.

1. Best route?
      2. How many halts?
      3. How many days in Bhutan (West)?
      4. Luggage Carrier, would it be an issue for a sedan?
      5. Luggage Career Vs Roof Box, which is better?
      6. IceBox, is it required?

That's it for now, sure would have many more questions later.

~Sam

• Mobile App downloads