India-Drive
SSSS

HYDERABAD to GOA - Best route at present?

PLEASE VOTE FOR THE BEST ROUTE  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Best Route for Hyderabad to Goa (Baga)

• Gachibowli -> Zaheerabad -> Humnabad -> Kalaburgai -> Vijaypura -> Bagalkot -> Belgavi -> Baga  
    • Gachibowli -> Deosugur -> Raichur -> Bagalkot -> Belgavi -> Baga
    • Gachibowli -> Pargi -> Mudhol -> Shahabad -> Jevargi -> Sindagi -> Bagalkot -> Belgavi -> Baga
    • Hyderabad --> Jadcherla --> Raichur --> Lingsugur --> Mudgal --> Hungund --> Bagalkot --> Belgavi --> Kanakumbi --> Bicholim --> Baga (Goa)

13 hours ago, Guest kannaiah said:

Hi Sagar

Can we go in a gear-less bike from Hyderabad to Goa
route is Hyderabad - Mahbooobnager - Raichur - Belgaum - Goa

We are planning to start at 2pm in the afternoon and without night halt anywhere!

Also any tips would be helpful.

Hi Kannaiah,

You can do this quite well on your gearless vehicle but you have to be very watchful about the highway traffic and your very long travel time :) 

If it's possible I would recommend you to start off early in the morning and as suggested by @Ranger I would recommend you to take the route via Kalaburagi instead of the route via Kalaburagi.

Be very cautious while you ride in the ghats region as it is going to be very dark. And I be a little dicey in saying this that it's definitely not safe during the night as you might have to pass through isolated regions in the dark :) 

Do let us know after you are done with your trip. Waiting for an inspiring story from your end :D 

• Like 4

Guest Devraj

I m travelling tomorrow from hyderabad to goa via humnabad bagalkot route. Just wanted to know  if I have to go thru vijayapura or can just move from kalaburagi to bagalkot directly. TIA

15 hours ago, Guest Devraj said:

I m travelling tomorrow from hyderabad to goa via humnabad bagalkot route. Just wanted to know  if I have to go thru vijayapura or can just move from kalaburagi to bagalkot directly. TIA

Hi Devraj, You don't have touch Vijayapura.. You can drive down directly towards Bagalkot via Kalaburagi.. That's the best options you've got :) 

• Like 3

So the new best route is Via Kalaburgai?
Even I heard from one of friend that Raichur road is under construction!

Kindly avoid Raichur route.

• Like 3

Latest update :(from last weekend)

Hyderabad - Zaheerabad - Humnabad - Kalaburgai - Bagalkot - Belgaum - Dodamarg - Baga

Except for few bad stretches after Kalaburgai.

The road is pretty decent!

Chorla Ghat : Bad

Amboli Ghat : Bad

Stick to Dodamarg route.

• Like 5

Guest Amit

I am going to north Goa and planning to on 13th Oct morning (4am). Pls recommend Best route without speed breakers and non tiring. Traveling with kids. I am confused. Help appreciated

12 hours ago, Guest Amit said:

I am going to north Goa and planning to on 13th Oct morning (4am). Pls recommend Best route without speed breakers and non tiring. Traveling with kids. I am confused. Help appreciated

Hi Amit, 4 AM is the best time for you to start to Goa.

Gachibowli -> Zaheerabad -> Humnabad -> Kalaburgai -> Vijaypura -> Bagalkot -> Belgavi -> Baga 

The above is the best recommended route for you as per the available road conditions. All the roads to Goa are actually messed up but this is a lot best compared to the rest of the options.

You should be reaching your destination by 6 or 7 PM considering both breakfast and lunch breaks in between.

Drive safe and Happy journey. Do update us back on your experience about the road conditions after you get done with your trip...

• Like 4

Guest Amit
9 hours ago, sagar said:

Hi Amit, 4 AM is the best time for you to start to Goa.

Gachibowli -> Zaheerabad -> Humnabad -> Kalaburgai -> Vijaypura -> Bagalkot -> Belgavi -> Baga 

The above is the best recommended route for you as per the available road conditions. All the roads to Goa are actually messed up but this is a lot best compared to the rest of the options.

You should be reaching your destination by 6 or 7 PM considering both breakfast and lunch breaks in between.

Drive safe and Happy journey. Do update us back on your experience about the road conditions after you get done with your trip...

Thanks Sagar. This sincerely helps

11 hours ago, Guest Amit said:

Thanks Sagar. This sincerely helps

Please update when you are done with the trip.
One of my colleague is planning to do it on next weekend. 

• Like 1

Guest Shaji

I am travelling to North Goa from Hyderabad next week. Which is the best route option ? Travelling in my polo with my family. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, Guest Shaji said:

Which is the best route option ?

Hi Shaji,

North Goa  ->  Belgavi ->  Bagalkot -> Vijaypura -> Kalaburgai -> Humnabad -> Zaheerabad -> Gachibowli 

The above is the current best route to Goa.. I would recommend you to start during the early hours around 5 AM atleast for your drive to be stress free..

• Like 2

Dear All,

I completed my Goa Trip this week.  My observations summarised as below.

Route :

Onward: Hyderabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga (Night Halt) -Bijapur- Mudhol - Gandhiglaj- Amboli-Sawantwadi -Arpora Baga.

Return : Baga-Chorla-Belgaum-Gaddanakeri cross (Bagalkot Outskirts) - Bijapur -Gulbarga (Night Halt) -Humnabad -Hyderabad.

Road:

Onward Journey:  Between Humnabad to Gulbarga there is one narrow bridge (one vehicle can pass at any time) & not more than 5 locations where there is diversion due to road work. You have to be literally on the edge if it is dark  (Due to diversion & deep excavation), should be very well manageable in day light. Between Bijapur & mudhol , few bad stretches are  there.  The Road from  sankeshwar till Amboli is  bad & I don't see  any repair work currently happening. Due to monsoon, they are even worse.

Return Journey : The Roads on Chorla ghat are very good in comparison with Amboli (Very few bad patches). Belgaum to gaddankeri cross (bagalkot) is very good. From Bagalkot to Bijapur i.e last 30 KM towards Bijapur, huge Road work is going on & literally speed is reduced. 

Other than these few observation, overall road condition is good. Hyderabad to Humnabad is the only 4 lane, everything else is normal double road highway without any dividers , but many of them with very good white boundary markers.

Don't always trust google I mean, it always  tries to show the shorter village roads rater than   Highways, for example: NH 50 directly connects, Gulbarga-Bijapur-Bagalkot, But google shows a route Gulbarga - Gangapur-Sindagi-Devar hippargi-Basavan bagewadi-Bagalkot, which is 20-30 KM shorter, but not sure of the road conditions.  You have to do a full preparation with interim stops to be feed into the google as stops, so that you are always on highways.

Also having a Car in Goa, is very helpfull.

Edited by p3k
Spelling Check
  • Like 2

Dear All,

I completed my Goa Trip this week.  My observations summarised as below.

Route :

Onward: Hyderabad-Humnabad-Gulbarga (Night Halt) -Bijapur- Mudhol - Gandhiglaj- Amboli-Sawantwadi -Arpora Baga.
Return : Baga-Chorla-Belgaum-Gaddanakeri cross (Bagalkot Outskirts) - Bijapur -Gulbarga (Night Halt) -Humnabad -Hyderabad.

Road:
Onward Journey:  Between Humnabad to Gulbarga there is one narrow bridge (one vehicle can pass at any time) & not more than 5 locations where there is diversion due to road work. You have to be literally on the edge if it is dark  (Due to diversion & deep excavation), should be very well manageable in day light. Between Bijapur & mudhol , few bad stretches are  there.  The Road from  sankeshwar till Amboli is  bad & I don't see  any repair work currently happening. Due to monsoon, they are even worse.

Return Journey : The Roads on Chorla ghat are very good in comparison with Amboli (Very few bad patches). Belgaum to gaddankeri cross (bagalkot) is very good. From Bagalkot to Bijapur i.e last 30 KM towards Bijapur, huge Road work is going on & literally speed is reduced. 

Other than these few observation, overall road condition is good. Hyderabad to Humnabad is the only 4 lane, everything else is normal double road highway without any dividers , but many of them with very good white boundary markers.

Don't always trust google I mean, it always  tries to show the shorter village roads rater than   Highways, for example: NH 50 directly connects, Gulbarga-Bijapur-Bagalkot, But google shows a route Gulbarga - Gangapur-Sindagi-Devar hippargi-Basavan bagewadi-Bagalkot, which is 20-30 KM shorter, but not sure of the road conditions.  You have to do a full preparation with interim stops to be feed into the google as stops, so that you are always on highways.

Also having a Car in Goa, is very helpfull.

Thank you for the update.
Very helpful information.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SSSS
      What is a CB Radio?
      A CB or Citizen Band radio is for the purpose of general population use. This is a short distance radio communication system between individuals.

How important is CB (Citizen Band) Radio for a trip like Ladakh?
      Somewhat important, it is useful when there is no mobile network available and a communication is required. But it is worth when more people have the CB radio in their vehicle and are actually tuned to the correct frequency. It is certainly useful for a group of cars travelling and wants to communicate (Clarkson - May - Hammond) while on the move. Yes a Walkie Talkie may fulfill the need but you would need a multi channel walkie talkie which again require a licence. Also, walkie talkie would require the charging and that means another dock on the dashboard, whereas CB radios can be connected to be battery directly and do not require any additional charging arrangements.

Are CB radios LEGAL in India and does it require any Licence? 
      Absolutely Legal and No licence required. As the name suggests, Citizen Band radio is meant for the general population use.  There is a set  frequency band that extends from 26.957 MHz to 27.283 MHz. As per the  Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1933, by Notification No G.S.R. 533(E) dated 12 August 2005( Click here to read the Notification), the establishment of, maintenance of, working with, possession of or dealing with in wireless equipment operating in Citizen Band (CB) was exempted from licensing.

Why is CB Radio not very popular in India?
      The answer is somewhat simple to answer, Indian market has seen the uprising of personal car market in only last two decades, where as before that the sale what somewhat limited and the buying power of consumer was low. In countries where like USA where CB radios are pretty popular and are general accessory of any long hauler. Even in India, many transport companies in order to make their truck, cargo and people safe are opting to get CB radios fitted in their fleet.

Albeit the concept is very old, in India the idea of having a two way radio in cars as an accessory is seldom.

• By ksa171983
      Finally I did a good trip in my new car with family and did a decent  amount of miles which was quite an adventure due the flood warning at mangalore , zero visibility warning at chikmangalur.

Route:
      Hyderabad-Chikmangalur-Dharmasthala-mangalore-Udupi-murdeswar-kumta-hyderabad.

We had our stay booked for 2 nights at chikmangalur,1 night  at mangalore,3 nights at kumta.

Chikmanglur Stay: Treebo Sunrise (9/10) but one staff named Dharani was just outstanding.
      Mangalore Stay:Treebo Pappilo palace(3/10). Bad staff, bad rooms.
      Kumta stay: Blue ocean sands (8/10) isolated place near beach. It was isolated due to weekdays but when we were checking out on Saturday we saw the crowd coming in. The place was very peaceful and I like peaceful places

Car:Jeep Compass Deisel Limited.
      Total distance : 2291.6
      Mileage:16.2

Day1 :: Towards chikmangalur
      I had two route options to take one was a diversion from Ananthpur which looked short and the other one was through Hassan highway towards chikmangalur.
      Enroute saw that KIA motors factory was in full swing .
      Some pics below from day 1.

Reached a decent hotel called treebo sunrise at chikmangalur by 7pm.
      it was raining cats and dogs in chikmangalur when we reached.So roaming anywhere in such heavy rain after sunset was not recommended by the hotel staff so we just walked around the city with raincoats and umbrellas . 

Day2 ::
      We got up early to watch the sunrise from baba budan or mullayangiri. But we were stopped at the checkpoint citing no visibility in the ghat section and was asked to come once the rain comes down. We tried out luck at 10 am and were allowed in.Then the amazing greenery with a bit of drizzle while going up to mullayangiri was just heaven.Unfortunately right after 30 min rain fall was super heavy and driving up the hill became tough.

Then we drove down with lot of difficulty due to slipping surface . The vehicles were stopped at the check post again .
      So we through it going other way to bababudan peak as once we go out of the checkpost we may not be let in.
      But saw the below and figured that I was the only one on this route and decided to turn back and out as it was becoming dark at 3 pm 😡😳🤔

Drove around the beautiful city and checked out some places and headed back to the hotel.

Day3 ::
      Kemmangudi and local temples was on my list for the day and some pics from that day .

Did some local site seeing and again drove around the city where there was no traffic and only rainfall and the smell of earth was there. Mind you that the temperature was around 14 degrees.
      Rest of the day we were discussing the options and best way to reach mangalore . Shiradi ghat was closed since Jan-2018 and would open around July after the renovation work so the only option wasn’t charmadi ghat Which was not in a great condition because that was the only current route towards mangalore (with trucks,buses,cars,etc etc)

Day4 ::
      Accepted to challenge the rain and weather and headed towards Dharmasthala temple through Charmadi ghat. The drive was not at all easy and the curves were filled with broken roads, potholes.Way too many buses and trucks were there.
      But of course the visuals onto my right and left were just amazing.

Towards Dharmasthala by 10 am and reached the temple by 12:00.Out of the temple by 3:30 pm and reached mangalore by 5:30 pm and rested the entire evening.

Day5 : Local mangalore tour with some temples , famous pabbas ice cream.

Day6 :
      Checked out of mangalore towards Udipi.
      Spent time at Udipi temple and Malpe beach (really beautiful) from 12 to 3pm.
      Stopped at murdeswar for around 90 min and reached Kumta at 7:30 pm .
      The entire road from mangalore towards kumta was under construction with Toll Booths being constructed as well. For sure after an year this entire stretch is going to be lovely awesome 😎.

Day7&8 :
      We did not take accommodation in Gokarna and instead stayed at Blue Ocean Sands resort at Kumta .Walkable from the beach thought felt isolated at the resort as being a weekday there were no folks at the resort .I would give 6/10 to the resort but 10/10 to the staff. Some pics below from the beaches in Kumta, gokarna.Gokarna we spent more time at OM beach as there was hardly any crowd and it was very peaceful.We went to a God forbidden 🚫 beach called kudle which lacked sense of cleanliness, filled with garbage,liquor bottles, plastic covers and even dead dogs.Then I am told that locals and shack owners would get the beach cleaned around August end as business would be there from August to March.

Day9 :
      we checked out at 6 am towards Hyderabad and reached home at 7 pm.Took around 1 hour break.

Had to go through another forest ghat which was beautiful and very pleasant as it had rained previous night.
      Once that forest drive was over the entire stretch till Raichur highway was a nightmare with very bad roads , animals and people walking across the roads as they do in their gardens.
      Reached home at around 7 pm.

Ended the trip with below reading of my entire trip.

Below were the routes taken by me ::
      Hyderabad to chikmangalur 

Chikmanglur to Mangalore via Dharmasthala

Mangalore to Kumta via Udipi and murdeswar

Kumta to Hyderabad via gangavathi-Raichur

NOTE:Many thanks to the ID team who shared their experiences about their previous travel on this route.

• By RajG
      After staying abroad for five years.
      I decided to come back to India for good.

Reason for the drive?
      You will find out soon.. 🙃

Top three places to visit in Chikmagalur:
      1. Mullayangiri
      2. Baba Budangiri
      3. Jehri waterfalls

Route 1:
      Best route from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur
      Hyderabad --> Kurnool --> Ananthapur --> Doddaballapura --> Visveswarapura--> Hassan --> Chikmagalur

Hyderabad to Doddaballapura : Excellent 4-lane toll road
      Doddaballapura to Visveswarapura : Single road, road condition is average, but helps in avoiding Bangalore traffic.
      You can skip Banaglore traffic using this bypass.
      Visveswarapura to Hassan : Excellent 4-lane toll road
      Hassan to Chikmagalur : Single road, road condition is excellent.

It took us around 13 hour to cover this route, while coming back from Chikmagalur to Hyderabad. 

Route 2:
      Worst route from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur
      Hyderabad --> Kurnool --> Ananthapur --> Challakere --> Hiriyur --> Chikmagalur

We took this route, while going from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur, just to check the status.
      It is a bad decision.  Roads are very bad once you divert from Ananthapur. There are some mud tracks. Too many diversions. No proper dhabas. No proper fuel options. Avoid this route at any cost.  

Hyderabad to Chikmagalur four days road trip plan and hotel details:

Day 1:
      Hyderabad to Chikmagalur town
      Accommodation in Chikmagalur town
      On day 1, it is better to take accommodation in the Chikmagalur town.
      Reason? Accommodations are cheap and good in the town.
      By the time you reach Chikmagalur it will be evening, it is better to stay in town.
      Most of the sight seeing spots are under 40~50 kilometres from the Chikmagalur town. 

Accommodation :
      Name : Hotel Blue Perl Chikmagalur Price : 2.5k per day (3 pax) Hotel Rating : 5/5 New construction Car parking is avilable Rooms are modern and neat Gobibo url  
      Day 2: 
      Chikmagalur town to Mulyangiri
      Mulyangiri is a must visit place in Chikmagalur, it is the highest peak in Karnataka. It is around 20 kilometres from town.  Roads are little tricky but, it is accessible by all cars. Dedicated car parking available 200 steps from the parking, need to some energy to climb. Carry water and don't litter. There is temple at the hill top, with beautiful view. Weather can be spoil sport, some time visibility is almost zero and some times it is clear. Luckily we experienced both  
      Accommodation :
      Name : Kuteer home stay Price : 14k per day (6 pax) Food : 4k per day (6 pax)  (Includes: Bonfire,Lunch, Evening snacks, Dinner and breakfast) Hotel Rating : 4.5/5 Food : Only vegetarian, but the quality is good, would rate 5/5 Location is tough to reach, low GC cars will have tough time.  But they have jeep facility (for less  experienced drivers better to take jeep and park the car at the parking) Resort is very isolated better to visit only in group. View from the resort is best. They have two villas, each villa can accommodate around 10 members.  Staff is very supportive.  Carry all the stuff along with you, there are no shops/hotels around the resort.  You can carry your own liquor but it is tricky if you get caught at the forest check-post. Forest check-post is present at the entrance of the hill section, they check the cars randomly. For booking you can call the resort owner. You need to do the full/advance payment while booking. Issues? Too many insects, but it is expected when we say in the nature.   
      Day 3
      Jahari waterfalls, it is around 2 kilomters from the home stay. You can visit this place in home stay jeep. 4x4 territory, don't attempt in your own car. Since we stay very close to waterfalls, we reached the place early. It is completely empty, not even a single person is present. Baba Budangiri is a must visit place.  Once you enter Baba Budangiri road drive till the end point, i.e Manikyadhara waterfalls. There are multiple view points.   
      Accommodation :
      Same as above

Day 4 :
      Drive from Chikmagalur to Hyderabad.
      It took us around 13 hours. We started around 9AM and we reached home around 10PM. We also tried the famous Kothakota chicken, food is strictly average.  

Total trip cost (6 members)
      Accommodation : 5k(day 1) + 14k(day 2) + 14k(day 3) = 33k Fuel : 11kmpl (1600 kilometres) = 10k Food : 3k(day 1) + 4k (day 2)+ 4k (day 3) + 4k (day 4) = 19k  
      Picture credits: @Ranger
    • By Krish
      A day to be remembered forever, 2016 is the year that I have joined in this beautiful group since then Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve was always on my bucket list. many attempts plan since then and nearly after two years, I got the chance to go. I don't want to stress more on the routes and other details as there are enough threads regarding the same. rather I would like to share my favourite photos that I have shot in my three days stay and safari and Pangdi and Madnapur gate. never the less I will share with you people some necessary information like stay, safari details, gates, and some knowledge of wildlife that I have gained. 

Started at 6:00 in the morning from Kompally and reached by 3:00 in the afternoon. remember that no one can help you with the routes. it's always better to contact someone at the resort and ask them to guide you in person. except Jio, no other sim card is going to work. I stayed at Mahua Tola Resorts, I can say that it is the best in the place. a  bit on the higher side, yet friendly staff, manager and good food. we were the only family the three days and never we felt insecure. Manager Shukla is a very nice person, he will come with us to the Safari and make it a very memorable and enjoyable one. 

Coming to the safari, it's always good to ask the resort people to book. because at the gate I have seen few facing some problems. if it's the resort people, its hassle free. this is personal opinion though. 

As people see, it's not so easy to spot a tiger. a tiger spotting depends on our luck. a tiger mainly sits just beside or few meters away from us inside the forest, yet not visible most of the time. it's just because of the bamboo trees. Tadoba is full of bamboo trees and that makes it very difficult to spot one even if it near us. you will be tempted by the pugmarks, but not always you'll see a tiger. I was really lucky to spot Tigress Junabai with her cubs on my last day safari with the resort manager Shukla at Madhapur gate. Ultimate sightings I can say. It is my father who spotted her while she was resting under a tree shade few meters away from us covered with bamboo trees. 

I'm not a pro, yet telling my experience with the camera focusing modes and how I got a perfect focus mode settings by experimenting and with the knowledge I have on focus modes which I have learnt studying few books, articles and discussing it in our WhatsApp group. 

The device, Sony Alpha A6000 with 55-210mm zoom lens. manual mode, shutter speed around 1/500 and above, ISO range 4000 (thanks to my cameras high ISO range ie, 25600), Aperture F:6.3

Focus Mode: Auto, Focus Area: Wide, Metering Mode: Multi

This was the mode that I have shot at first only to get the defocused face of a tiger. Thought "this is over, I'm not going to get any more beautiful photos". thought of the focusing modes and settings I have learnt before and adjusted it again to try my luck. 

Focus Mode: Auto, Focus Area: Centre, Metering Mode: Spot

And then I got some amazing pictures. 

Used Auto Focus Continues while the subject was moving and I can say that this is the camera for super fast autofocus. never missed a detail while shooting with this in AF-C mode. 
      You can check out the langur monkey and male spotted deer jumping. shot in AF-C mode with shutter sped around 1/1000 or above. couldn't get a zoomed one because of the lens. 

Here are the pictures. 

PS: I have written Neelghai female. but that's a male Sambar deer. 

• Mobile App downloads