India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Sign in to follow this  
Kumsi

A photolog, Dubai

Random clicks from Dubai

AS SALAAM WAALAIKUM!!!! all the way from the UAE to my dearest INDIA DRIVE family….:D

It has been only 5 months months since I have moved to Dubai, but OHH HELP ME GOD!!! It feels like ages. I miss home in Hyderabad, I miss food in Hyderabad and most importantly, I miss driving in Hyderabad. A big shout out to all my dear friends of the India Drive group. I cannot wait till I get to meet you all again and go on yet another drive.

Though I have been away from all the action, the whatsapp group and the app are surely a great way to keep a tab on all the latest happenings. I am envious of all the guys who made it to the Kolisagar trip. A night under the shimmering skies is one of the things not many can experience these days considering the urban setting we are all in and the pollution. Some of the pics were truly spectacular.

Coming to my point for today, while I was moving out of Hyderabad, me and the moderators (@Gowtham Varma and @Satya Sagar) were joking around with an idea of having a UAE chapter to the India Drive group with me trying to be my patriotic best here in UAE with my India Drive propaganda….:D After almost three months of unbelievable driving lessons and a battery of tests, I finally managed to get a driving license here in the first attempt....and I have been told it is an achievement to be proud of. I am yet to buy myself a separate set of wheels to go road tripping on my own....so till then I get to tag along my sister and my brother in law whenever they go around places. 

My sister and her family have been extremely generous for letting me stay with them in their beautiful home right bang in the middle of Dubai and imagine my delight to find that my brother in law is a fellow driving enthusiast and even he loves cars like I do…😊 They have been generous enough to drive me and show me some good places during the weekends, which I feel are worth sharing with everyone on this forum. Considering Dubai is just a three hour flight away and thanks to the no frill airlines, quite an economical international travel…. I would have said destination too, but the cost of living here is insane. But, if you can save up for a while and stretch your pocket a bit, DUBAI is the place to visit for 10 days of PROPER FUN

Not a great photographer, but this beautiful city and my the sweet camera on the galaxy s7 has brought out the best in me.....Till the time I venture out on a proper road trip, I intend to keep adding photos to this post.

These pics are meant to be eye candy for all travel and car lovers, some of the places covered must be on your things to do or places to visit list if you plan for a trip to Dubai....also, please give me a shout out if you do plan a trip..people tell me I play a damn good host...:D ;)

Enough of the blabbering,I will do the photos do the talking.Hope you all like it.

20170422_182714.jpg

• Like 7

Dubai Creek

A boat ride across the Dubai creek is fun thing to do after you have visited the local Souq (market) area. The market is an exuberant and lively place filled with shops selling spices, dry fruits, incense, perfumes and other Arabian collectibles.....definitely worth your visit....

You also have a few boats with restaurants on them which ferry you along the creek for a couple of hours in the evening while you enjoy a delightful time with friends and family over dinner....I haven't gotten a chance to experience that yet.....will definitely post a few pics once I have....

20170418_131100.jpg.050f0028cb6bcbed941bdd6e00cc59ca.jpg

20170418_131243.jpg

20170418_131128.jpg

20170418_131232.jpg

20170418_131224.jpg

20170418_131237.jpg

20170418_131207.jpg

20170418_131126.jpg

20170418_131520.jpg

• Like 3

DESERT SAFARI

One thing that you cannot miss while you are in Dubai.

While a barrage of companies and travel agencies offer desert safari trips, only a few of them ensure that your time and money is well spent. You have options of choosing from a Land Cruiser and a Hummer.....time & duration of the desert safari....and also the exclusivity of the camp in the desert....You can go around with a normal group....or have one entire camp for yourself, if you go in a large group....

A normal and the most recommended package involves AED 200 per head (equivalent to INR 3600) where a car comes and picks you up at 3:00PM in the afternoon from your place of stay and drops you back at the same place at around 10:00PM in the night. 

Your car joins a convoy of 15-20 other cars at a staging area like shown below and then heads to Dune Bashing followed by a couple of hours at a camp in the middle of the desert, where you are treated to some Arabic food, Sheesha (hookah) if you like to try and some folksy dances and performances. All  of this included in your fee of AED 200 per head. 

20170605_172251.jpg

20170605_172100.jpg

20170605_180402.jpg

20170605_172313.jpg

20170605_191050.jpg

• Like 3

DUNE BASHING

Warning: This is not for the faint hearted or people with motion sickness. When you are in the passenger seat of a Land Cruiser during the dune bashing, you are hanging on for dear life. 

Dune bashing is done only in Land Cruisers or Hummers....and the drivers must have a special license for doing so....Let me put it this way, if driving in real life was a game, we are playing with the difficulty level set at "EXPERT"....these drivers operate in "GOD" mode......:) 

20170605_175112.jpg.18ea29a3eb19c307754c306abd885551.jpg

20170605_175025.jpg.9cf369252e84b0a34b628f9f67735ee5.jpg

20170605_174228.jpg.63a26299761cf1965dfacc8162c19e38.jpg

20170605_174738.jpg.cd8ebf7620013e313a8c3b4120c66391.jpg

20170605_175055.jpg.31f137dfd7cbf3b9d5e7b2ef94c0b371.jpg

20170605_174921.jpg.b7f18ee02e05103a46465548757f39a4.jpg

20170605_175055.jpg.31f137dfd7cbf3b9d5e7b2ef94c0b371.jpg

20170605_174921.jpg.b7f18ee02e05103a46465548757f39a4.jpg

20170605_175122.jpg.685912a2864e0cd0c4a4fa65e6487fbc.jpg

20170605_174559.jpg

20170605_174734.jpg

20170605_174950.jpg

20170605_174942.jpg

20170605_174833.jpg

20170605_175955.jpg

20170605_175355.jpg

20170605_182002.jpg

• Like 5

Al-Qudra

An oasis located around 70-80kms away from Dubai is a beautiful location to go for a late afternoon drive during the weekend or an overnight camping trip. Small ponds of water scattered across a large patch of land with clear horizons in the background makes a great spot for watching the sun rise and set....

It is advisable to pack your food and drinks (non alcoholic strictly) from your home / hotel as the limited options around this place might not be to everybody's liking. 

You find people from all nationalities and all age groups visiting this place to spend a good time and just escape the hustle bustle of the city. A good place to visit during October while the temperature is the most comfortable. Summers are crazy in the middle east and so are the winters.

Though you find people driving down to this place in Sedans and hatchbacks as well, it is advisable to get yourself a 4 x 4 to be safe, just in case...;)

20170422_181358.jpg

20170422_182458.jpg

20170422_182939.jpg

20170422_182714.jpg

20170422_182835.jpg

• Like 5

Those pictures are eye candy.
Excellent write-up Kumsi, very inspiring.
Waiting for more adventures.

Please keep updating the post.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, driveking said:
Those pictures are eye candy.
Excellent write-up Kumsi, very inspiring.
Waiting for more adventures.

Please keep updating the post.

Thanks man....will try and keep posting.

Wonderful write up @Kumsi #following this post for more pics..!! Special mention to your "God Mode" wordings, :):) makes me wait to get in to those beastly LC's 

Believe me it is great fun, I have a couple of videos too in which i barely managed to capture the dune bashing from the passenger seat.

I am trying to edit it, will try and post them soon.

• Like 3

Beautiful pictures kumsi.
You have great writing skills, I can see passion in each every word you have penned down.

4 hours ago, Kumsi said:

I finally managed to get a driving license here in the first attempt.

Congrats!
I heard getting a license in Dubai is nightmare. 

Questions?
1. Indian(tourist) driving license is valid in Dubai?
2. International driving license is mandatory to get Self drive?

3. How expensive are self drives like Toyota LC. (per day)

4. Best time to visit Dubai?
5. Can we take rental on those dunes?

We shall definitely come down to Dubai :)

• Like 2

Beautiful pictures kumsi.
You have great writing skills, I can see passion in each every word you have penned down.

Congrats!
I heard getting a license in Dubai is nightmare. 

Questions?
1. Indian(tourist) driving license is valid in Dubai?
2. International driving license is mandatory to get Self drive?
3. How expensive are self drives like Toyota LC. (per day)
4. Best time to visit Dubai?
5. Can we take rental on those dunes?

We shall definitely come down to Dubai 

thank you for your kind words...

Getting a license in UAE is a nightmare for people who do not have prior experience in driving...or people who are not accustomed to good practices like indicating, maintaining lane or using mirrors....otherwise it is not so unreasonable as people make it out to be....just that there are a battery of tests involved and this takes a lot of time...hence the frustration....especially for expats from the Indian Subcontinent......

To answer your questions:

1. If you want to drive in Dubai during a tourist visit, you need to have the International driving permit. International driving permit is not valid if you are here on any other visa except a tourist visa / temporary visit visa. However, I would advise that people with no prior experience of driving experience outside India must not attempt to drive here.....rules are very different and strict....fines are enormous and not to mention, it is very dangerous....Public transport is awesome....we might as well stick to that during short visits.

2. Yes. International driving license is mandatory to get a self drive. Not sure if the International driving permit issued by the Indian RTA qualifies as sufficient for the same. I will do some research on this and give you an update.

3. Dubai offers you a whole spectrum of cars to choose from for self driving.....right from a kia picanto to a ferrari or a lamborghini.....prices vary from as low as 80-90 AED per day to 2500-3000 AED per day.....a land cruiser would be somewhere around 500-600 AED per day (* AED in today's rates would be approx = 18 INR)

4. Best time to visit Dubai would be anytime between September to March.....when the sun is not beating down on us.....every september Dubai has an expo called Gitex which is like Thanksgiving sale for electronics....the expo held for 3 days is surely a thing that you don't want to miss if you are a gadget freak and are looking to buy some cool new toys....

Also, for the past 4-5 years, the New Year's eve fireworks show at the iconic Burj Khalifa has become a spectacle and one of the most awaited annual events in the world....so, if you can stretch your budget a bit, and make smart reservations, it will make for once in a life time experience.

5. Desert Safari and dune bashing is strictly for drivers with the license to drive in those conditions. There is a separate training program to learn driving on sand...and you can apply for it only after you have been driving in the UAE for a minimum of 5yrs.

The closest experience you can get is riding a quad bike / ATV at the desert camp during the desert safari trip. Charges for which are over and above the AED 200 for the safari.

Sent from my SM-G935F using India-Drive mobile app

• Like 2

Amazing pictures [mention=30]Kumsi[/mention] Do we have to Hire a car to do the dune bashing or can we rent any for a self drive?

It is a package....offered by a few companies.....you pay 150-200 per head in case of 1-2 people or around 600 for 5-6 people.....the land cruiser will come and pick you up from your doorstep and drop you back after the trip... you cannot drive on your own..

Sent from my SM-G935F using India-Drive mobile app

• Like 3

Lovely photolog @Kumsi The dune bashing pictures look like one extreme adventure. I am going to be present there soon... Is there a night stay on the sand dunes?

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 7:28 AM, sagar said:
Lovely photolog [mention=30]Kumsi[/mention] The dune bashing pictures look like one extreme adventure. I am going to be present there soon... Is there a night stay on the sand dunes?

Thanks sagar.....yes...there are a few agencies who offer night stay options too.....charges might vary based on whether you want it to be completely private or semi private.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2017 at 4:55 PM, Kumsi said:

To answer your questions:

Very helpful information :)

We shall come down some day, get ready to host us.:ph34r:

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By SK01
      Roadtrips... long drives... holiday to the hills driving our car, gives a high to all the drivers. Driving to the beaches or to the unexplored hills with our family or friends is an all-time favorite activity. Driving is fun, but a single error makes it a disaster.

All drivers know the feeling - a frightening realization behind the wheel of the car when a wave of drowsiness hits, that you may be too tired to go on. A blink of an eye is all it takes for one to end up trapped inside a toppled car or a badly mangled car in the opposite lane.

20% of the accidents on Indian Highways are caused by driver fatigue says a survey. It all happens in seconds, as said above, in a blink of an eye. Drowsiness is extremely dangerous.

Pushing yourself beyond the limits, just to make it on time or just to boast to your friends of your achievements of "non-stop 800kms drive" is the last thing you would want to do.  

You Can’t Afford to Drive on Through Fatigue

Fatigue is a serious concern for everyone on the road. Feeling sleepy makes a driver, less attentive, and affects the driver’s ability to make quick decisions. You need to be able to navigate, merge safely, respond to unpredictable drivers, accidents, potholes or even the sudden appearance of a cattle. 

Delayed reaction time can mean the difference between life and death – for you, or another person on the road. A tired mind also has more trouble concentrating, making it difficult to judge speed and distance. 

Entering a trance-like state while driving is a trait we notice quite often while driving on highways at a constant speed, at constant cabin temperature. This is known as Highway Hypnosis. Becoming attuned to your body and its need for rest and sleep will make you a safer driver.

Warning Signals that It’s Time to Get Off the Road

Driving requires your undivided attention. If you notice one or more of these signs, it is time to get off the wheel and rest.

Frequent yawning & fidgeting   
      Frequent lane changes without knowing  
      Tailgating  
      Erratic Braking  
      Inconsistent speed  
      Delayed reaction time  
      Missing on turns and signboards  
      Missing to check on ORVMs IRVMs  
      Missing to use indicators   
      Rolling down the window for fresh air  
      Blurred vision or frequent blinking  
      5 Tips to Combat Fatigue

1. Surveys show that a short nap can increase alertness and significantly lower the risk of driver fatigue. Take a short twenty-minute nap, preferably before you become too sleepy.

2. Avoid medications that may induce drowsiness. 

3. Eat a healthy and balanced meal at regular intervals. Lack of proper food leads to a drop in blood sugar levels which makes us drowsy. Also, heavy meals make us lazy and sluggish increasing the drowsiness. 

4. Coffee, smoking, turning up the volume on the radio and fresh air only work for short periods of time. Do not rely on them to keep you alert. (Personal experience, play those songs that give you a good feeling. Not too loud and not too much music. Play it at a medium volume, this will help you cruise at a constant speed making you feel attentive.) 

5. Stay hydrated and also keep switching between ‘recirculating’ and ‘fresh-air’ modes on the air-con. A change in temperature helps you stay more alert. (Personal experience, roll down the window and allow fresh air and those traffic sound to enter the cabin. Hearing those makes us attentive and lets us drive till we find a good tree to rest under.)

Above all, never forget to take naps at regular intervals. It's not only beneficial to you, but also to your car, its engine, and tires.  If you are really tired, never attempt to drive beyond the limits. It's your maturity and safe driving habits that ultimately call you a good driver, not your "800kms non-stop achievements". 
    • By SK01
      Exploring Yanam Part 1

Origin: Ramachandrapuram, East Godavari, Andhra Pradesh.
      Destination: Yanam, Puducherry.

Route Taken: Ramachandrapuram - Tallapolam - Draksharamam - Kuyyeru - Yanam
      Start Time:5:10AM
      Distance: 27KMS
      Time Taken: 1hr 
      Car: Honda City VX i-VTEC
      Mileage: 13.2KMPL
      Road Condition: Mix of good, average, bad and worst. 
      Scenic Views: Single lane roads with beautiful scenes at either side of the roads. The roads are surrounded by lush green farms on either side. 

Trip Report

Yanam, the place that I first visited in 2013, when I was 17. And this time again I wanted to visit the place only to know it better and love it more...

Started early in the morning at 5:10 and reached the area in 1hr. 

The only thing I thought I could do in the place is to take the initial sunrise photo touching the waters. That's a beautiful sight and I never missed that. But surprisingly this time I got more than what I expected. I got to know about the area more and explore the area and the backwaters. This time, unfortunately, I could take my favourite shot, the sun touching the waters because of clouds. But got a chance to explore the area a bit. 

It was 7:00 AM, the sun just started rising pushing the clouds aside. And there I saw a person in a white shirt and white pant, assumed him to be a local and approached him to inquire more about the place. To my surprise, he turned out to be the government boat operator. Upon asking him, he arranged a boat ride into the waters and at 7:15 I was on the boat moving gently on the backwaters. 

The boat driver Ramakrishna, is a very nice guy. I finished taking photos and started talking with him. he spoke many things, from the political situation in Puducherry and Andhra Pradesh, their lives, the local MLA and not to forget, the insider information about the place.  Yanam, a very beautiful place, mostly unexplored and left undeveloped. "Yanam chala manchi ooru Saru, Kani Chala mandi teliyaka raru. Tourists perigite maku income perugutundi" said the boat driver. 
      Yanam indeed is a really beautiful place, there are many places to explore from Yanam. 

The first one, 

Bhairavapalem Mangrove Forests (Where we can find many rare migratory birds. It takes 2 hours to come and 2 hours stay on this island. Total of 6 hours. Price for 10 is 6000 INR) Koringa Mangrove Forests And many small unexplored islands (We can find many migratory birds)  
      I think the area should be developed, but that development shouldn't destroy the natural beauty and serenity of the place. The local activities early in the morning, sunrise, birds chirping and the fishing activities are really beautiful and the development should not destroy these...

Part 2 coming soon... I'll be writing about the places that in have visited in part 2.  

Places to stay:
      The Regency Hotel (best for families as per trip advisor) Sarva Inn Puducherry Government Guest House   
      Few Pictures

• By SK01
      Hey all,

Dussehra vacations are on the way and I started planning from today itself for my next wildlife trip. 
      Woke up in the morning to see a mail about the vacations 😁
      for me its going to be a long holiday from 13th October to 21st October.

What could be more happier on a Monday morning than opening a mail about the long holidays... 😍

So coming to the point,

I request people over here to give some information about the forests reserves in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, AP mostly as I will be spending most of my time in Vijayawada and Ramachandrapuram (EG Dist).

Been to Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve this year  visited Nallamalla forests the previous year, and Maredumilli forests before Nallamalla (couldn't spend much time though). this time also I'm planning to visit some place and want to spend some time, at least a day or two in the forest. 

everyone please give the list of places which will also be useful for wildlife enthusiasts like me as there are very less posts on wildlife here. 

• By SK01
      A day to be remembered forever, 2016 is the year that I have joined in this beautiful group since then Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve was always on my bucket list. many attempts plan since then and nearly after two years, I got the chance to go. I don't want to stress more on the routes and other details as there are enough threads regarding the same. rather I would like to share my favourite photos that I have shot in my three days stay and safari and Pangdi and Madnapur gate. never the less I will share with you people some necessary information like stay, safari details, gates, and some knowledge of wildlife that I have gained. 

Started at 6:00 in the morning from Kompally and reached by 3:00 in the afternoon. remember that no one can help you with the routes. it's always better to contact someone at the resort and ask them to guide you in person. except Jio, no other sim card is going to work. I stayed at Mahua Tola Resorts, I can say that it is the best in the place. a  bit on the higher side, yet friendly staff, manager and good food. we were the only family the three days and never we felt insecure. Manager Shukla is a very nice person, he will come with us to the Safari and make it a very memorable and enjoyable one. 

Coming to the safari, it's always good to ask the resort people to book. because at the gate I have seen few facing some problems. if it's the resort people, its hassle free. this is personal opinion though. 

As people see, it's not so easy to spot a tiger. a tiger spotting depends on our luck. a tiger mainly sits just beside or few meters away from us inside the forest, yet not visible most of the time. it's just because of the bamboo trees. Tadoba is full of bamboo trees and that makes it very difficult to spot one even if it near us. you will be tempted by the pugmarks, but not always you'll see a tiger. I was really lucky to spot Tigress Junabai with her cubs on my last day safari with the resort manager Shukla at Madhapur gate. Ultimate sightings I can say. It is my father who spotted her while she was resting under a tree shade few meters away from us covered with bamboo trees. 

I'm not a pro, yet telling my experience with the camera focusing modes and how I got a perfect focus mode settings by experimenting and with the knowledge I have on focus modes which I have learnt studying few books, articles and discussing it in our WhatsApp group. 

The device, Sony Alpha A6000 with 55-210mm zoom lens. manual mode, shutter speed around 1/500 and above, ISO range 4000 (thanks to my cameras high ISO range ie, 25600), Aperture F:6.3

Focus Mode: Auto, Focus Area: Wide, Metering Mode: Multi

This was the mode that I have shot at first only to get the defocused face of a tiger. Thought "this is over, I'm not going to get any more beautiful photos". thought of the focusing modes and settings I have learnt before and adjusted it again to try my luck. 

Focus Mode: Auto, Focus Area: Centre, Metering Mode: Spot

And then I got some amazing pictures. 

Used Auto Focus Continues while the subject was moving and I can say that this is the camera for super fast autofocus. never missed a detail while shooting with this in AF-C mode. 
      You can check out the langur monkey and male spotted deer jumping. shot in AF-C mode with shutter sped around 1/1000 or above. couldn't get a zoomed one because of the lens. 

Here are the pictures. 

PS: I have written Neelghai female. but that's a male Sambar deer. 

• Our picks