India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Sign in to follow this  
abhinay1189

A day trip to Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Balmuri Falls from Bangalore

Ride for the trip

IMG_20170604_180057108.jpg.893cf3125e2770b077a0cede7d840e25.jpg

Layout of the Sanctuary of Ranganathittu bird sanctuary.

IMG_20170604_151120330_BURST001.jpg.571494765ea357faeba8e0096573806b.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary

Maps Link:

https://goo.gl/maps/QDfaf6KLFR72  

It is located on the outskirts of Srirangapatna, about 16 Km before Mysore.
Where to Stay:

Both Mysore and Srirangapatna are convenient places to stay to visit the sanctuary. Besides, there are also home stays and farm stays away from the city, and near the sanctuary.
How to Reach:  

This sanctuary is 135kms (3 Hrs) from Bangalore on Bangalore-Mysore highway (NH275),Take a right turn after Srirangapatna (This road also connects to KRS and Coorg road)IMG_20170604_150421068.jpg.bed01f83f1c379c784bfa7d3040a19ad.jpg

IMG_20170604_162453020.jpg.297a93c6144ab740787a30fc13106c03.jpg

Price of Entrance and Boat ride:

The entrance Rs. 60 per person and for children it is Rs. 10 (Age-5 to 12 yrs). No charges for children below 5 years. 

The best way to see birds is to take a boat ride inside the sanctuary. The normal rate is Rs.60 per head, but these are short rides, with a boat load of people. A longer ride (Special boat service) costs around Rs. 1000, The experience is worth it.

IMG_20170604_162052767.jpg.386d31a50589ef0dcf8d1a1a5a1ca182.jpg

IMG_20170604_150639747.jpg.73656a88e29625e36b84e9673ee81ff3.jpg

Park Timings and Best Season:

The park timings are from 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Go early in the morning, or in the evening, just before sunset, for the best experience. Tourist footfall increases after 10 AM and continues through till 5 PM. The times just before and after are best for watching the most birds and enjoying the peace and solitude!The best season to watch birds is winter, but we can see birds here throughout the year. Which birds you see depends on the season though. 

IMG_9508.JPG.a60138b97884e32792e0bdb5d385bf61.JPG

Painted Storks

IMG_9581.JPG.a7d260e12bb2a7957a78a7f75cfd3bca.JPG

Egret in breeding plumage

IMG_9541.JPG.bb00a2b8e520477bec938204e066cd96.JPG

IMG_9562.JPG.d1f696a0672c1e63e6e04e78a3ed2118.JPG

Stone Plovers

IMG_9536.JPG.c966ca5d61df1b544ac78de9a9a9d9bc.JPG

IMG_9502.JPG.90d7f908f105de4a409980e2aa33dfb4.JPG

Crocodile- up close

IMG_9594.JPG.996da3864ce3643d570b39c0c8765ca2.JPG

View point

IMG_9627.JPG.4691b9a211bb5356b4d89e0054c5aa95.JPG

View of Lake

IMG_9376.JPG.5823de70d83c9109399ab965f6b48a79.JPG

IMG_20170604_173530023.jpg.e285deab2c77cde4dbe66e0bc924406c.jpg 

IMG_20170604_173312782.jpg.f3a890478ba69ef2c60d0a6460aeca8d.jpg

IMG_20170604_173351174.jpg.69ca1008f93322477afb97d88283469d.jpg

Tips:

While one day is more than enough for the entire circuit, if you are an ardent birdwatcher or wildlife enthusiast, you might enjoy staying somewhere near the sanctuary and making multiple visits.

The next destination was Balmuri Falls, Which is 11kms from this sanctuary.

Balmuri Falls:

Maps link

https://goo.gl/maps/mCYZfXJ15tk 

It is a popular picnic spot. In this area Cauvery river flows wide over a rocky bed.

IMG_20170604_182924537.jpg.fc7761a05a8c0fdedc0a2a3c2815d80f.jpg

This is basically a check dam runs across the river more like a wall trying to stop the flow.It is a man-made reservoir.When the check dam is filled to the maximum, water overflows in a neat long cascade.

IMG_20170604_190417726.jpg.fd549d71d1811ed68d15c546cf003dac.jpg

Youngsters and nature lovers adore the place because of its isolated location. One can bathe in the shallow waters of the fall.One of the major attraction is to get into the water where it cascades down. And then there is the seasonal boat ride. The scenery is great and the general ambiance is relaxing. So that makes its an ideal picnic spot.

There is a old and ancient Ganapati temple. This location is a popular backdrop for song scenes in many Kannada movies. The weak hearted can always use the bridge that is built across the river or sit on the ghat and enjoy the scenery. I couldn't capture more pictures as it was dark and raining.

IMG_20170604_190728792.jpg.a3c66d1b2f45223d7ccbfbda852711c6.jpg

IMG_20170604_190943554.jpg.14efca712b2ae65fe1e1cd3eaef07984.jpg

Note:The only annoying thing it seems are those cheeky monkeys ever trying to snatch food stuffs.

It is ideal one day trip from Bangalore. Total distance covered 2 way is 300kms.

Few more random pictures from our drive

IMG_20170604_131849413.jpg 

IMG_9601.JPG 

IMG_9625.JPG 

IMG_9561.JPG 

IMG_20170604_180113797.jpg

IMG_20170604_183117599.jpg

IMG_20170604_190747761.jpg

• Like 5

Brilliant pictures.
I have been to this place in 2012/2013, en-route to Mysuru.
It was small stop over, the walking path around the lake is very refreshing.

Crowd was very less during our visit, it is week day and little drizzle made the place look heavenly. 
We did not do any boating due to time constrain. 

16 hours ago, abhinay1189 said:

Crocodile- up close

We never knew about crocodile part. :o
We literally stood in water. 

• Like 2

Nice pictures [mention=616]abhinay1189[/mention], Could you throw more light on the location of this waterfalls and the distance from Hyderabad and Bangalore?

The waterfalls are 721 kms from Hyderabad(11 to 12hrs Journey time) and 145 Kms from Bangalore(3hrs journey time).

This waterfalls is not naturally​ formed but it is scenic waterfall stretch along a small dam. I can call it a ideal picnic spot .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using India-Drive mobile app

• Like 2

Brilliant pictures.
I have been to this place in 2012/2013, en-route to Mysuru.
It was small stop over, the walking path around the lake is very refreshing.

Crowd was very less during our visit, it is week day and little drizzle made the place look heavenly. 
We did not do any boating due to time constrain. 

We never knew about crocodile part.
We literally stood in water. 

I heard their are lot of crocodiles in water but people say it is safe to go inside water and crocodiles attacks here are rare.

• Like 2

Brilliant captures mate.
lovely pictures. 

I can see the mad Bangalore - Mysuru traffic in your picture.
It simply need multiple routes.

I felt like driving inside city limits. 

• Like 2

Brilliant captures mate.
lovely pictures. 

I can see the mad Bangalore - Mysuru traffic in your picture.
It simply need multiple routes.
I felt like driving inside city limits. 

Thanks Uday, Yeah Bangalore to Mysore traffic is terrible in weekends. Alternative route is via Kanakpura road which is scenic to drive but little long.

• Like 1

Lovely log @abhinay1189 I am shifting to Bengaluru next month, Will surely add this place to my check list one weekend. Please keep adding up a few more less known places as such so that i can cover up after my transfer :D TIA 

• Like 2

Lovely log [mention=616]abhinay1189[/mention] I am shifting to Bengaluru next month, Will surely add this place to my check list one weekend. Please keep adding up a few more less known places as such so that i can cover up after my transfer  TIA 

Sure Vivek, There are so many lesser known places. I need to make a list and will add in some days.

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By travel.rtc
      This trip happened  during Novemeber 1st week 2018 and November first being our 9th Marriage Anniversary - we wanted to celebrate it in Mysore hence drived down to Mysore and to Ooty .

Started 10:00P:M from Hyderabad and highway was little busy with all RTC and Private Buses towards Bangalore and different parts of Rayalaseema.....we stopped at Kurnool Toll Tax and then started again but started being on a working day after tiring office work has shown the tiredness and me being only driver for the entire trip took good breaks ...we stopped between Kurnool and Anantapur near some petrol bunk and after Anantapur in the early morning to take some power naps ....Reached Bangalore Outskirts by 7:30 ..

The Morning Mystic view of Nandi Hills and surroundings was awesome and Bangalore Highway is very very super road except few speed breakers else so much fun to drive straight road.
      -- We Stopped at Hotel Nandi Upachar : https://goo.gl/maps/LwP1NeFtZoG2 
      Hotel was very very Decent and Has Nice Rest Rooms and ample parking place  - had quick refresh and Nice break Fast and there was Some Minister Visiting the Hotel and traffic was halted ...we had to further wait for 30 more minutes and started at 9:30 A:M and it took us some time to cross Bangalore and Hit Mysore Highway - as usual Bangalore traffic took a toll on us and Mysore highway was little busy.

We Stopped at Kamath  for quick Lunch and then Started for Mysore .
      I have a friend who works in Travel agency in Bangalore , he generally takes care of hotel bookings or cab bookings if needed whenever we are around  he has booked a room for us in Mysore  at Hotel Vyshak Residency - Hotel was good and has Hot water Supply all the day  - This )hot water)  is one of the must for the Hotels around that place in Winters 

-- Next Day Early Morning we went for Chamundi Temple  - Chamundeshwari Devi -One of the ShaktiPeeta ,We had good Darshan and had some prasadam at their kitchen.

While returning, at the Parking Lot My mother overheard some one saying Ooty from Here is 160 kms - She immediatley said to me its 160 kms which means like Hyderabad - Nizamabad [Nizamabad being my Native]
      She asked me ,Shall we go to Ooty too.
      Who can deny an drive down to Ooty and I said immediately OK and haven't said anything about Road -,she was not aware of Ghat road and being traveled  on Butter smooth Roads from Hyderabad till Mysore she expected it to be same straight roads....but later she was scared to the max after Gudalur when it was pitch dark and raining and Ghat Road Started

We had a quick visit to Shri Ganapathi Sachidanda Ashram and started for Ooty at 2:30 P:M  - if any one has this in bucket list when they visit Mysore and wants decent stay they can ask for room in Ashram campus and it is pretty less compared to outside while returning  to Hyderabad we have to stay in Mysore as it was night when we returned to Mysore from Ooty and we asked an room for accommodation as  it falls left while entering Mysore and they gave us a Big room was charged 500 Rs - all facilities were provided indeed 

Took little while to cross Mysore , later we had took some time to find an ATM to get cash and has to look for ATMs in NanjanGud , the Route taken was Via :
      NanjanGud  - > Gundlupete ->Bandipur -> Gudalur -> Ooty

---- Took Right turn after GundluPete  and went 11+ kms to visit Gopalaswamy Betta ....But now cars are not allowed to be driven till the temple and one must Take Karnataka Tourism Buses ...and those will be plied till 4:000 P:M By the time we went there its was 4:00 and we dont has an Option and it started getting dark  and we started back , returned to Gundlupete and reached Bandipur
      Same friend of mine booked a Room for us in  3 Star Hotel - Hotel Preethi Classic http://www.hotelpreethiclassic.com   which was closer to city center and had quick tour of Tea Factory , Botanical gardens did shopping at Tibet Market - Finding Good food in Ooty is little tough and we had our breakFast at A2B and its pretty decent and good .

Return Journey was Simple - Stopping here and there for few clicks and my car being Wagon R and people cautioned about clutch issues generally occur in that route and asked me to take some breaks and give some time for car and then start ...slowly reached Gudalur and it took sweet 4 hrs including photo breaks and tea breaks , Reached Mysore by 8:00 P:M  ,me being no mood to drive  wanted a break and i thought of starting next day early morning , and went to Ganapathi Sachithananda Aashram  -

They allotted a room  , we went to near by restaurant and had dinner - Next Day Morning after a good nap and fresh-up started at 5:30 A:M to Bangaore- Hyderabad , Had Break fast at A2B Food Court after Mysore on Bangalore Highway [Excellent and Neat rest Rooms] 
      Crossed Bangalore in midst of heavy traffic and being Monday it was very very tedious to cross Bangalore - Had stop after Bangalore at Shell Bunk and topped up the fuel ,they have checked the car and i took their engine oil and they did the oil change in quick time and started for Hyderabad . Bangalore Highway is one of the best roads i have driven and being day time we can find less traffic on Roads and one can certainly get bored too ...went into Anantapur town in search of a good mess for Lunch but traffic made to change our plans and we stopped at Dhaba some where in between Anantapur and Kurnool  highway .

After having Some Rotis started for Hyderabad which was Straight Road with speed breakers here and there 
      \

\

• By sbhamidi
      Hello all,
      Planning to go to Bengaluru in a while from now. Any recommendations on the route or places to stop, precautions etc.

Bangalore highway:

• By Kumsi
      "Lost and alone on some forgotten highway - Travelled by many, remembered by few"
      Every December, it has become a ritual for us to go an long drive over 4000 kilometers. This year after multiple discussions and drop outs, every one agreed to drive down South.
      For me it is always the drive that matters and I was never particular about the destination.
      No matter where we go, our ultimate goal is to end up in Goa to celebrate new year.

Day 1: Hyderabad to Chickmagaluru
      Day 2: Chickmagaluru local sight seeing
      Day 3: Chickmagaluru to Gokarna to Goa
      Day 4 : Goa
      Day 5 : Goa
      Day 6 : Goa to Hyderabad.

We split into two teams in two cars. Creta and Polo.

• By Ranger
      Sharing a message posted by @ram97 for the benifit of other memebers 

We are planning a trip to Kanha national Park in December. 
      Do you agree that the best route from Bangalore to Kanha is via Hyderabad and Nagpur. We have never really driven past Hyderabad and was wondering, if you would know that if the roads are good all the way upto Balaghat (Passed Nagpur).

Was planning on staying in Hyderabad for the night as I have been told that the roads till Hyderabad are fantastic and can be covered in 6hrs.
       if you keep a decent pace of around 120km/hr. 
      I was just worried if the Hyderabad to Kanha stretch is too long or do you believe it can be done easily in day. 
      We have frequently done Bangalore - North Goa in under 10hrs and its a similar distance so was wondering if it would take about the same time. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Warm Regards,
      Ram
  • Our picks