India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Hyderabad to Ooty road trip guide   

3 members have voted

1. 1. Best places to visit in Ooty

• Upper Bhavani Lake
    • Emerald Lake
    • Avalanche Lake
    • Botanical Gardens
    • Doddabetta Peak
    • Cairn Hill
    • Bandipur forest safari
    • Kotagiri
    • Coonoor
  2. 2. Hyderabad to Ooty route

• Route for cars : Hyderabad -- Ananthapur -- Bangalore -- Mysuru -- Bandhipur -- Masinagudi -- 36 hairpins -- ooty
    • Route for heavy vehicles : Hyderabad -- Ananthapur -- Bangalore -- Mysuru -- Bandhipur --Gudluru -- ooty
  3. 3. Hyderabad to Ooty food options

• M Food court, Balanagar
    • Food Pyramid, Kothakota
    • Hyderabad chef, Ananthapur
    • Nandi Upachar, Devenahalli
    • NH7 Refuel, Bangalore outskirts
    • Bangalore to Mysuru : Milestone 67, KFC, CCD, Indradhanush restaurant ( group of hotels)
    • Mysuru to Ooty : Pugmark hotel
  4. 4. Hotels in Ooty

• Sinclairs Retreat Ooty
    • The point
    • Accord highland

Snowfall in Ooty
Pictures shared by Prabhu, 9/1/2018

IMG-20180110-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180110-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20180110-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20180110-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20180110-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20180110-WA0011.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ranger said:

Snowfall in Ooty

Snow in ooty...No wonder! Amazing pictures....

I stayed in Bandipur forest in Aug 2017. We stayed in that night surrounded by thousands of Deers, peacocks,  wild boars.....Its wonderful experience. We spotted these animals near our stay while going for dinner @9pm. Heard that these animals come and stay at the safari office place in fear of tigers/panthers.

Edited by sahil
  • Like 3

Lovely pictures @prabhum. Is this the beginning of the Ice age now.. Lol~ Quite amused to see the snow fall in a place which hasn't experienced it anytime before.

1 hour ago, sahil said:

I stayed in Bandipur forest in Aug 2017. We stayed in that night surrounded by thousands of Deers, peacocks,  wild boars.....Its wonderful experience. We spotted these animals near our stay while going for dinner @9pm. Heard that these animals come and stay at the safari office place in fear of tigers/panthers.

Awesome @sahil. I have experienced a leopard's chase on a deer and how the forest animals reacted to the situation conveying a hunt for other preys during the safari. It was an exciting experience too. Can you share the name of the place or resort where you have stayed in Bandipur ?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sahil said:

its at Safari office guests houses.

Rooms are OK types. 

Bandhipur is a fantastic place.
Lately traffic has became pain on the forest road.

It is tough to stopover for animal spotting.
Even If you find a place to stop, heavy fines are imposed on the vehicles. 

Around 2009, traffic is very less.
We used to stop where ever we want.
Forest rangers used to tell us not to stop for long periods. 
Now the situation is changed completely.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sahil said:

http://bandipurtigerreserve.in/BTRBooking/#/login its at Safari office guests houses.

Rooms are OK types. 

But the Staying in the night is amazing experience. They have small restaurant which provides basic dinner, breakfast and some snacks. Not many options though. Food is tasty.

We did 2 safaris one in the evening and the other in the morning. Some guys behind our vehicle spotted panther. There was a rain during that night and the next day morning safari is really fabulous. And the driver took us to interior places. 

3 hours ago, Ranger said:

Now the situation is changed completely.  

That's True. You shouldn't stop on the Road. There are sign boards for the same. Some times if you are lucky, elephants will cross the road and all the traffic will be stopped!

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, Ranger said:

Avoid Ooty during weekends/long weekends.
Place is completely spoiled by commercial tourists.

Any offbeat places to do around Ooty which are left unexplored?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, hsudhir said:

We are keeping it low on drive meets due to the soaring summer heat. Will keep the forum updated about the upcoming drives. Stay tuned!

Edited by sagar
  • Like 3

On 1/10/2018 at 11:27 AM, sagar said:

Can you share the name of the place or resort where you have stayed in Bandipur ?

I have been to Bandipur too and we stayed at the Windflower Bandipur (https://www.thewindflower.com/bandipur/resorts-hotels.html). This place is a little expensive but the stay / Rooms / Food / Campfire / Spa and the list goes on and on... One of the best places that I have had a stay so far!!! Right in the forest, surrounded by all possible wild life around your cottages, yes you heard that right, you are not allowed to step out of your cottages after a certain time since this resort is amidst forest!!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hsudhir said:

You can try Waynad, Kabini river lodge, Nagarhole forest. etc. Ive not been to these places yet.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hsudhir said:

You should try exploring Kotagiri which is next to Ooty. I would say, staying in an exotic location in Kotagiri would give you more peace rather than spending a day in Ooty amidst the commercial crowd.

But, Where ever you stay around other towns in Ooty, and are interested in savouring the handmade choclates for what Ooty is famously known for, You should do this only at Modi's hand made chocolates in Ooty. I would say he stands tall in providing the best in taste, quality and spread in his store.

• Like 2

beautiful pics.. one of a helluva drive it is..

I did the drive from Hyd-Blore-Mysuru-Bandipur-Ooty in 2017..

Stayed at Mysuru for 1 day and 1 day at Bandipur.. Ooty was not in my to-visit as I was unsure about the hairpins and the way the borrowed corolla Altis's condition..

After the stay at Bandipur was just driving without any destination in and around Bandipur, Saw a board which said Ooty-80KM.. and thought to myself "came so close and one should not miss Ooty".

Went ahead and enjoyed the hairpins honestly and the Corolla Altis surprised me with it's ease of Maneuvering. We just had lunch in Ooty as it was not in our schedule.. Had some nice oxygen time :) .

Drove down back to Bandipur-Mysuru-Blore(stay over) and then Hyderabad.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2018 at 5:02 AM, sagar said:

You should try exploring Kotagiri which is next to Ooty. I would say, staying in an exotic location in Kotagiri would give you more peace rather than spending a day in Ooty amidst the commercial crowd.

But, Where ever you stay around other towns in Ooty, and are interested in savouring the handmade choclates for what Ooty is famously known for, You should do this only at Modi's hand made chocolates in Ooty. I would say he stands tall in providing the best in taste, quality and spread in his store.

Kothagiri is just beautiful.. I can vouch for that.. On a personal note I prefer Kothagiri to Ooty.

The home made chocolate boxes ranging from 25 to 100 rupees .. mouthwatering..

I will be more than happy to do Kothagiri again and again ..

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ksa171983 said:

Kothagiri is just beautiful.. I can vouch for that.. On a personal note I prefer Kothagiri to Ooty.

The home made chocolate boxes ranging from 25 to 100 rupees .. mouthwatering..

I will be more than happy to do Kothagiri again and again ..

Very true @ksa171983. I would prefer Kotagiri to Ooty too. When I usually travel, I don't want to be surrounded by crowd and would rather choose to stay closer to nature in solitude. Kotagiri offers such lenience in this case. :)

• Like 3

Ooty hair pins are fun to drive.
Now a days it is getting over crowded. 
Finding an off beat location is getting tough.
There is crowd at every other place 🤐

Kotagiri is a much better option. 

• Like 3

I stayed at "The Windflower, Bandipur" in August 2014. Expensive place but I do not have words to explain how beautiful this place is, food here is. This place is inside the forest literally, no fencing etc., you see deers roaming around your cottages and you are not allowed to open your cottage doors after 9/10 pm after dinner, Resort guys said wild animals roam around your cottages since they do not have any fencing around the resort. It was one super duper experience, I was disappointed since I could not find a Tiger in the safari but my luck shined on the day we were checking out. I was relaxing in the pool and I spotted a Leopard right in front of me just about 0.1 kilometers away, it looked at me as I looked at it and started to walk and that's it, I ran behind it with my camera with the resort guy since my nature walk was due and could only find its foot prints at the water pond just about few meters away from where I saw it!! Just missed, it was one hell of an experience that morning

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sridhar Tandra said:

I was relaxing in the pool and I spotted a Leopard right in front of me just about 0.1 kilometers away, it looked at me as I looked at it and started to walk and that's it, I ran behind it with my camera with the resort guy since my nature walk was due and could only find its foot prints at the water pond just about few meters away from where I saw it!! Just missed, it was one hell of an experience that morning

Now, that's an experience to tell people about :) During my safari in Bandipur, we waited for almost an hour after knowing that the Leopard was up for a chase. All the birds and other animals in the forest were giving signs to one another about the danger ahead for their survival. Process of watching this from birds like peacocks and animals like Deers was an interesting experience. We waited and waited and left the place.

13 hours ago, Sridhar Tandra said:

I stayed at "The Windflower, Bandipur" in August 2014. Expensive place but I do not have words to explain how beautiful this place is, food here is. This place is inside the forest literally, no fencing etc.,

This is something that has to be experienced. Is that place open to every one for staying (commercial) or a private property? If so what was the price charged? Any pictures to share?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sagar said:

place open to every one for staying (commercial)

Yes it is an open place (commercial) / Resort, one can make bookings online on their website! I am not too sure of the price, but I remember spending about 24 - 26 k for 4 days and 3 nights accommodation. Pictures.... I will be able to share it once I am back from Tirupathi this weekend, I remember I have them on my Desktop / External HD. Meanwhile, you can look out for more information about this place on their website 👇

https://www.thewindflower.com/bandipur/resorts-hotels.html

• Like 2