India-Drive
suniljgbl

Can we sleep in car with AC turned ON

Hi all.

I went to a remote location where AC is not available.

So I want to use my car AC for whole night.

Can i use my car AC in neutral gear. What are the implications? Can i sleep in my alto 800 with switching on AC for whole night while the car is in idle?

• Like 2

Sure no problem at all in my opinion..
Engine should be in on position, don't run only blower, the issue is it drinks a lot of fuel :)

• Like 3

I slept in my swift for 5 hours in idle (road side), I did not face any issue.

Precautions to take :
1. Keep an eye on the temperature needle. Make sure it stays in the middle.
2. Park the car in open area, exhaust out let is very dangerous, If it sucks into cabin, it can cause death.
3. Close the windows completely and because open windows can suck exhaust gas.

If you have space, I would personally suggest you to sleep in open space and avoid car, unless it is must!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, etoor said:
Sure no problem at all in my opinion..
Condition is the engine should be in on position, the only thing is it drinks a lot of fuel

I thought u will definitely ask me.. why the engine should be in On position :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, suniljgbl said:

Is it that danger, if i used for 1-2 hrs. ?

As Uday suggested precautions are must.

Avoid closed parking at any cost.  Open areas are safe, If your exhaust is in good shape without any cracks and modifications.

Carbon monoxide gas (car exhaust output) is odour and tasteless, we would not known that we are being poisoned.

• Like 2

Generally all cars are designed in a way. Where exhaust cannot enter into the car.
And all ACs have filters.
Exhaust is rear side and the ac inlet Will be in the front.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, suniljgbl said:

Can you guys throw some light on car exhaust gas.
My car is just 20 months old. Hope it wont be an issue.

Carbon monoxide is released from car exhaust (smoke out let) both in old and new cars.

It could be called the “suicide gas”: each year thousands of people deliberately inhale it, usually in the exhaust fumes of their own cars.

But carbon monoxide (CO) has also caused more accidental deaths than any other poison in history – not just because it’s deadly, but because it slips under the radar of the human senses: you can’t see, smell or taste it, and it doesn’t irritate the skin or mucous membranes.

And it’s fast-acting. By the time you notice symptoms of poisoning, it’s often too late

Source : link

5 minutes ago, etoor said:

Generally all cars are designed in a way. Where exhaust cannot enter into the car.
And all ACs have filters.
Exhaust is rear side and the ac inlet Will be in the front.

Absolutely right.

But when you park in closed parking, exhaust fumes are sucked into AC. 
Parking in open space is always safer, when the car is idling for the longer periods. 

43 minutes ago, suniljgbl said:

In this case, it is even danger when we use it on drive

Not a problem, when you drive.
Problem is when you stay in closed areas, where the exhaust gas has no place to escape.

While driving we move ahead, leaving them in open air. 

11 minutes ago, suniljgbl said:

So a open place other than cellar would be fine.

Yes, It is fine as long as there is good air circulation.

Some cellars are too closed (under ground), avoid excess idling in them. 

• Like 1

If the mechanical functions of the car are not up to standard, the chances of a leakage of the car’s exhaust into the vehicle’s cabin while a person is snoozing could increase the risk of suffocation as it would decrease the oxygen level inside the car.

More information in below link..

http://goodyfeed.com/sleeping-in-a-car-with-its-air-con-on-will-kill-you-herere-the-facts/

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Sridhar Tandra
      Hyderabad to Coorg / Kodagu Exploration Drive - Pre-Monsoon drive meet up - July 07/10, 2018
      Start point - Gachibowli (ORR)
      End point - Coorg
      Start time - 5:00 am
      Total Distance - ~800 kilometers (one way)
      Objective - Drive to thank the monsoon showers and explore self while being in raw nature away from Luxuries

Participants:
      1) Tata Tiago (Expresso Brown)
      2) Volkswagen Polo (Red)
      3) Maruthi Suzuki Baleno
      4) Hyundai Creta (Star Dust)
      5) Hyundai Creta (White)
      6) Renault Duster (White)

Route Taken:
      Hyderabad (Gachibowli ORR Entry Point) ---Bangalore --- Mysore --- Coorg

Places covered:
      1) Tribal Style Stay in Coorg
      2) Irrupu waterfalls
      3) Mandalpatti Peak 

Plan:
      Day 1 (July 07th, 2018):

We start off from the meet up point (Gachibowli ORR Entry Point) towards Mysore 
      Stop by for breakfast at Food Pyramid, Kothakota 
      We stop by for lunch just before entering Bangalore at Amaravathi Gardenia, Devanahalli
      We reach Mysore to break down for the day

Day 2 (July 08th, 2018):

We start off from our Mysore accommodation towards our Resort in Coorg 
      Have breakfast en-route and reach Evergreen County Resort, Virajpet, Coorg
      We will check in into our resort, explore the resort and places around, Camp Fire & Dinner and break down for the day

Day 3 (July 09th, 2018):

Coorg exploration drive, check out Irupu Waterfalls
      Drive back to Mysore by End of the Day and break down for the day

Day 4 (July 10th, 2018):

We start early to escape the Mysore - Bangalore traffic and proceed towards Hyderabad

Things to carry: 

1) Carry umbrella and rain coat (Must)
      2) Toiletries, Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Mosquito repellent cream and Glucose / Electrol (personal medical kit)
      3) Camera kits and Telescopes if any star gazing enthusiasts or night photography enthusiasts
      4) Most importantly loads of energy and positive attitude

I will let pictures speak more than words from here on, watch and enjoy!

Evergreen County Team welcoming India - Drive Team:

Exploring the Resort, It is a treat to eyes and nestled in to Nature!

We have planned to explore Irupu falls after exploring the resort, we understood from the locals that there is a huge Tea Estate on our route to Irupu Falls, Couple of cars went ahead to check it out (Polo & Tiago) and we were the only one's to look at this beautiful View! We had to go back to the convoy with a bad news "Visitors are not allowed"

We continued our drive towards Irupu Falls, One should not miss this falls in Monsoon! Reach the falls, close your eyes and surrender yourself to the Mother Nature!! ❤️

We have reached back to the resort by the time light faded and gone for the Nature walk around the Resort and had a wonderful time with India Drive Members introducing themselves at the Camp Fire session followed by delicious Dinner at the Resort Restaurant (Secret Spices, Rest O cafe)!

After a Sumptuous Breakfast and an unforgettable Morning Coffee (Pictures Below) we checked out of the resort and headed towards our exploration drive towards Mandalpatti Peak (Heaven, I call this after exploring the place). We came across a Landslide en route Mandalpatti and we could not take our cars any further, for a moment it was a disappointment but that's when we got to know from the locals that we have to hire 4x4 vehicles to be able to reach Mandalpatti Peak. Without wasting any time, we parked our cars, hired those beasts and started enjoying some pure off roading fun and reached the Heaven!! We have spent considerable amount of time exploring the place with literally zero visibility and clicking pictures. We have reached the car parking location back by about 5 pm with a super Maggi break (Special Thanks to our Instant Chef Bhargav) and started our drive back too Mysore!

Like all the other Drives, we had to end this Drive too wishing if we could have continued it for another Infinite number of days!! 

Aideu from Sridhar Tandra until next Drive Meet!!❤️❤️
    • By Pinaki
      If there is a reading meter in the market to gauge what I always love the most in nature ,  the scale will always be reading 100 % for beaches. Probably I didn't go to the right mountains in the right season and never fancy to get lock down inside a  room after sunset since then. AND then this magic happened! After few trips to same Chirala and burning out my fuel of love and passion for beaches , probably I didn't want to see that place again . I packed my bags in summer and risk my preference for once and all changed ; Coornoor just flushed off my insensible attraction towards mountains to a desire for exploring more , loving more, tripping more in mountains. 

After Bengaluru traffic beaten us badly , we speed up well through Mysuru highway, quickly took a tea break at my favourite spot @Gundlupet , we managed to cross all 31 hairpins of Ooty and its awful traffic at city centre. It was almost dark and up above the world so high... Moon was shining like a diamond in the sky! Before you reach Ooty, beautiful Bandipur and its forest life always cheesecake your life with taste of beautiful nature. 

Our Resort was another 14 kms from Udagamandalam. It was an offbeat homestay with lake at one side, tea estate on both sides of the homestay, valleys and mountains all around us. The beauty of mountains, tea estate,azure sky, lively greenery around the stay was just a luxury you cant afford to miss! The gentle breeze and the freshness is so far away from the hustle bustle of city life and recycled air at home.  On our way to the stay, we did spot quite a few bisons and wild deer. It was quite thrilling stay since we had no one around the venue though everything was quite safe and secure. The homestay has two bedrooms, well furnished with furnitures, bed, mattresses, pillows, glass windows every where, sofa, dinning hall and a kitchen will refrigerator , gas connection, spice , utensils everything. The food was arranged by the local guide himself for us during our stay and it was very economical. 

Next day, the first thing on our agenda was to explore the property, tea estate and the road towards the lake. It was so so different for me for I have never explored mountains, tea estate with so much enthusiasm. 

The local guide, take us around a lot of beautiful off beat places -Palada, Adikaratti,  Nonsuch Tea estate, Archiesden, Dolphin Point and Lambs Rock. In One day we did cover a lot of points for photography and short breaks. While you continue driving across small villages, you do notice the beauty of ghat roads, tea estates, factories, vegetable washing machines , beautiful railway tracks for toy trains, trees filled with colorful flowers etc. 
      Archiesden is a peak point close to an eculaptus oil factory . Heard you can spot leopard after the sunset at this point. You need to hike for five ten minutes to reach this scenic beauty. You can see mountains, roads, life all around from the top as if you are the lord of the world and appreciating the beauty of your own creation. Clouds can touch you and go if you hike here early morning or in winters.

We did stop at a chinese restaurant for lunch though we wanted to try local Biriyani from a small outlet. The outlet was closed and we decided to go to a decent restaurant.  
      A must try - Honey Lemon Tea at TanTea stall in Coornoor. I did drink two cups myself . It is an awesome point for drinking tea and enjoy the sunset. The gentleman brew the tea in front of you in a carefe and serves you hot refreshing tea in a glass made cup and saucer. 

You can drive around the military zone in Ooty for its beauty stretching across the golf course to Statues of National Leaders . Incase you are a coffee lover, sip a coffee from Bossoms coffee cafe in Ooty. Its really cool. 

The local guide later took us at the top of a road close to Mahindra Holiday club resort for a scenic view of OOty from the top of the peak under full moon night! Its heaven. The pearl of lights all over just can kill you with its beauty. The lights across the small homes across the mountains, the moving traffic , the beauty of trees and moon playing hide and seek -is so so thrilling, probably one has to be on the spot someday to experience it. The place has so much of tranquility to offer , you wont feel like stepping out of the place till you are ready to go back home. I wish I had a bed there itself to experience the sunrise next day. 

We decided to have dinner at the spot itself and was served with excellent dinner and a great hot tea after the dinner. 

It was a long day for us and we drove back to the resort through the forest and ghats at night!.

The short trip was not only beautiful, it was a kind of a change for me too. It did change my outlook towards mountain, made me found a place where I sat and saw from the top of the peak both morning and night in two different beauties. I didn't miss sea for a second! Only thing that was missing from my list was -  wrong opinions about mountains.

• By Vikram_i10
      Hello Guys,

We always used to travel Hyderabad to Bangalore by car, it was very nice travelling experience.
       4-lane highway NH44, pretty good roads with lot of foody options on route.
      But the toll tax is on the expensive side, around RS: 680/- one side.  
      Airport to airport journey hours is just 6hrs. 

Once i tried travelled on bike (discover 150F) it was successful ride and I am very happy with the trip.

So car vs bike on Bangalore highway are completly two different experiences.
      Which one would you prefer? 

• By Pralay
      Graciaas!! So, you got the shiny new car which is eager to hit the road! But wait, what about the permanent registration? You can always rely upon your dealer to this favour, of course against some money, but you can save few hundred to thousand bucks if can do it yourself. In this write up I would like to share my experience of car registration in Kondapur , Hyderabad.

So, first thing first, what are the papers/documents required?
      Form 20 (In Duplicate if you have Finance and signed by the Finance company/bank) Form 21 provided by the dealer Form 22 provided by the vehicle Manufacturer Photocopy of a valid Insurance Certificate Tax invoice from the dealer Temporary Registration Certificate Life Tax Receipt Photo ID Proof (Govt provided) Address Proof (Ration Card, Electricity Bill, Passport, BSNL Telephone Bill...) Aadhar Card PAN Card.   Just in front of the first counter.. as on 18.08.2015

How do I prepare myself, how to deal with RTO officers?
      Well, RTO officers are very friendly here in Kondapur. You just need to be well informed and all the documents should be perfect. Some people around there are really helpful (personally we got help from a stranger!), so don't worry, just do the below things before you head to RTO for permanent registration of your brand new car.
      Verify if you have all the copies of the documents mentioned above. Carry a pen, small pencil & eraser. You need to sign on form 20 at 2-3 places (IIRC) and do a pencil trace.(eraser is , in case if you could not do the pencil trace properly.) Refer your owner's manual or ask the dealer where the Chassis number is punched or engraved properly on the body. Usually there is a plate provided which has the chassis number. But some car is provided VIN no. or chassis number in more than one place. Find out which one can do the pencil trace. You need to do that on Form 20(IIRC) wherever RTO officer asked to do so. Please practice couple of times on a A4 paper so that you can do the same smartly over there without wasting your valuable time! check yourself whether you can comfortably reach this place and take pencil trace of the number Remember, chassis number should be visible properly on the required papers. It’s always better to reach early to get familiar with the environment. 10.30 AM is the opening time, be there around 10 AM. You might even find some friendly agent who will verify the document order without a fee.  
      Anything else? Valuable tips or something?
      Of course.. I am outta here! No worries. Just do take care of the following things while you made up you mind that you will DIY registration of your brand new car!
      Some people like me done full mat floor cover as soon as they get their new car. Its really good and helpful thing unless you know the chassis number is engraved below the full mat cover! Well, just check up where exactly the chassis number is engraved for pencil trace. Make sure you haven't covered the area with the full mat until the registration. In my case, I had done my full mat just a week after I got the car. I checked up for chassis number and found that chassis number is on the door panel of Grand i10 which is easy to do the pencil trace. But wait..kahani mein twist hai. the moment we started doing pencil trace to get the chassis number, we realised that it's not that much engraved. In Hyundai Grand i10 chassis number is properly engraved in the chassis itself, just pull the drive's seat to extreme back, you will find below to that the chassis number properly engraved for pencil trace and guess what.. I insisted to fix (semi-fix actually) the mat to the chassis (by adhesive) in order to avoid misplacing the mat while driving (which is good otherwise IMO). Hence, we had to cut the mat for that place & repair it again to get those precious letters & numbers!! Thankfully the guy dint charges a single penny for the cutting & repairing. I heard, some cars like Maruti have their chassis number engraved under the bonnet. Owner of those cars will not have tough time in this regard. I have seen in Honda Jazz, in the right side of the driver's seat, but again, if you cover it up, be prepared to cut it! So this type of car owners be careful.  
      I Dint notice that, floor mat is covering the chassis number
      Take 3-4 copies of Form 20 from the dealer (or take photocopies) and get it endorsed from the finance banker. Extra copies will ensure keeping documents for every agency including you. Arrange all the set of documents in line with the RTO guideline at home, so that you will not block the queue at the RTO for setting up the docs. Better do not go on Fridays & Mondays to avoid rush  
      Hmm.. reached early at RTO office. Whats next?
      After entering the RTO park your car in the designated place and come to the registration counter with papers/documents. It's on the right side after you entering the RTO office. You will find some Xerox shops etc. which are behind this counter. As you have already made your set of documents at home in the order specified in the list, just give it at the New Registration Counter.

The clerk verifies the documents; he will guide you to put sign on 3-4 places on Form 20 or/& any other doc if required and ask you to put sign on a digital signature pad. He will issues a fee receipt after collecting the prescribed fee of Rs 635/- (Application Fee - Rs 200, Service Charge - Rs 200, Smart Card Fee - Rs 200, Postal Charges - Rs 35) and another 620/- or so for HSRP charges (High Security Registration Plate). Make sure only owner signs on the digital pad. After that you need to go the next counter in left side to join another queue for photographs, finger print & eye scan (This photo will appear on the RC). Then you need to go the vendor shop for HSRP (extreme left point if you stand before the counter), where you need to show the receipt of Rs 1235/-(approx)

That vendor will give you the time & date when you need to come there again to fix the HSRP(After getting the Reg number), but before going there make sure to call him @ 9963908679, (please do cross verify the number again),

Then you have to take the pencil trace of the Chassis number. If you have finance, then there will be two copies of Form 20, you have to take pencil trace on both the copies.(On the bottom edge of the first page of Form 20 IIRC, otherwise ask the inspector seating there). You bring all documents, receipts along with your car to the vehicle inspector who sits in the open small shed, beside a tree near the receipt counter. He will ask you or his chela to read out the chassis number while he verifies on the Form 20. Gives you a copy of the receipt and voila you have done with the registration process!!

The entire process took us only 40-45 minutes (max an hour) and it is not at all difficult. The RC smart card will come to the address as mentioned in the RC by post.(You can get it by hand next day by giving 300/- to anybody from those Xerox shops behind the receipt counter; but I would suggest to take it through post) Your Registration number will be updated on the RTA website by the same day evening. You can search using your Temporary Registration Number.

After a couple of days you visit RTO office again to fix the number plate (make a call before going), you need to show your HSRP receipt or tell your number, they will take out the number plates & ask you to put sign on their register (proof of received I guess) . 

They may ask you to give tips of 100/- to 200/-. Now it's up to you whether you will pay or not!! However, they had done the job perfectly.

So, Finally our "white knight" is getting the number plate!!
      That's it.. Congratulations! Your car finally got the permanent number plate!!
      PS: The process mentioned here is as on 18.08.2015 ; Kindly visit RTO for any update in this regard.
  • Mobile App downloads