India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

sagar

A long drive meet at the Nilgiris to rejoice the pre-monsoon showers. June 01 - 04 '17

'Drive to the Nilgiris to rejoice the pre-monsoon showers' (01-06-2016)

After a splendid night camping & star gazing drive meet last month at Koilsagar, 'India-Drive' now invites you to camp between the Tea plantations on the hill top for those who believe in self exploration while allowing in-depth discovery of the destination.

Let us drive in a union spirit to rejoice the pre-monsoon showers and continue this year on a cheerful note. So come out, join the convoy with 'India-Drive' and hunt down to our own piece of paradise.

When: June 1st - June 4th 2017

Where: Kotagiri, Tamil Nadu 

Start point - Gachibowli (ORR)

End point - Kotagiri 

Start time - 4:00 a.m.

Total Distance - ~900 kms (one way)

Objective - A short drive to enjoy the sudden drop in temperature and thank the pre-monsoon showers.

Places to be covered:

1) Bandipur forest reserve

2) Ooty, Doddabetta (4th highest peak in South India) 

3) Kotagiri 

4) Coonoor

Early morning drive into the Bandipur forest reserve 

tapatalk_1494659985279.jpeg

Beautiful Avalanche Lake, Ooty

tapatalk_1494660077646.jpeg

Overlooking the picturesque sight of Ooty at Doddabetta peak.

tapatalk_1494660130826.jpeg

Beautiful country side of the Kotagiri tea plantations.

tapatalk_1494660019381.jpeg

Destination description:

• Bandipur National Park is a forested reserve in the southern Indian state of Karnataka which is known for its small population of tigers. This was once a private hunting ground of the Maharajas of Mysore, the park also harbors Indian elephants, spotted deer, gaurs (bison), antelopes and numerous other native species.
  • Doddabetta is the highest mountain in the Nilgiri hills at 8,650 feet. There is a reserved forest area around the peak which is 9 kms from Ooty, on the Ooty-Kotagiri Road in the Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu. It is a popular tourist attraction with road access to the summit. It is the fourth highest peak in South India.
  • Coonoor is located at an altitude of 6,070 ft above sea level and is the second largest hill station in the Nilgiri hills after Ooty. It is an ideal base for a number of trekking expeditions leading into the Nilgiris.
  • Kotagiri is situated at an elevation of around 5,883 ft above sea level. It is supposed to have the best climate in Tamil Nadu.

Route:

Hyderabad (Gachibowli) --- Kurnool --- Bangalore --- Bandipur --- Ooty --- Kotagiri & Coonoor

Meet-up point : Gachibowli ORR entrance
Map location : https://goo.gl/maps/X5onups3Dxj

POC : 9849021091 / 9989745688

Plan:

Day 1 (June 01 - 2017):

4:00 AM - We start from off from the meet-up point towards Mysore. 
8:00 AM - Stop by for breakfast at Kurnool. 
1:00 PM - We stop by for lunch before we enter the Bangalore city. 
6:00 PM - We reach Mysore to break down for the day. (We shall try to cover Nandi hills en-route as per the members interest)

Day 2 (June 02 - 2017):

7:00 AM: We start from Mysore post breakfast towards Bandipur. 
9:00 AM: Start exploring Bandipur National park and Do a forest safari. 
1:00 PM: We stop by for Lunch while exploring the country side of Ooty.
4:00 PM: We reach our destination (Camp site on the hill top between the Tea plantations in Kotagiri). 
We settle down for the day and explore the Nilgiris at Kotagiri and close down for the night besides some fun at the Bonfire.

Day 3 (June 03 - 2017):

9:00 AM: We explore the whole day around the Nilgiris i.e, Ooty, Conoor and Kotagiri (Off beat loacations)
8:00 PM: We close down early at the night for an early start the next day towards Hyderabad.

Day 4 (June 04 - 2017):

4:00 AM: We start early to escape the Bangalore city traffic and proceed towards Hyderabad.

Things to carry

• Please do carry your own water bottles and snacks which could be sufficient for 3 days and 4 nights.
  • Trekking shoes, track pants, T-shirts, winter wear and a rain coat.
  • Toiletries, Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Mosquito repellent cream and Glucose / Electrol (personal medical kit)
  • Camera kits and Telescopes if any star gazing enthusiasts or night photography enthusiasts.
  • Most importantly loads of energy and positive attitude.

Cost per head: 

3,500 INR  (Accommodation for one night at Mysore, 2 nights at Ooty)

We go dutch on the expenses at Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and misc.

***Note: Number of slots available are 16. 

Disclaimer:

Accepting to participate in this Drive, is an agreement that you have joined us voluntarily and you accept that organisers do not hold any responsibility for loss or damage of property (vehicle etc.). Also, you are responsible for your own safety and any act of negligence that endangers the safety of fellow passengers, guests or others.

Terms and Conditions:

1) Only cars are allowed.

2) No age/sex restrictions on joining the drive until the driver is licensed.

3) Your car must have all the necessary gear. (Spare tyre etc.).

4) You need to follow the designated convoy position and keep safe distance from the adjacent cars.

5) No compromise on safety at any time seat belts are a must!, always use indicators for lane change.

6) Kindly avoid 'free-play' and 'show-off' during the trip - follow the Marshal's instructions at all times.

7) Carry enough water / refreshments / drinks for self and passengers.

8) Driving members can bring up to 3 guests. We encourage families.

9) You are required to confirm compliance to the conditions for this trip before we can register your RSVP.

10) Acceptance of your RSVP is only notional, and the organizers reserve the right to select the final list of attendees.

11) The organizers do not hold any responsibility for loss or damage of property (vehicle, gear etc.).

If you are a long-drive enthusiast and visiting new places give you a high, YES, this group is just the one for you! Come join us and share your experience.

Let's Dream.. Drive.. Discover!

• Like 7

Confirmed List:

1) Sagar +2

2) Gowtham +1

3) Sruthi + 3

4) Varun + 1

5) Ashwin +1

• Like 2

Confirmed List:

1) Sagar +2

2) Gowtham +1

3) Sruthi + 3

4) Varun + 1

5) Ashwin +1
6) Kashyap+2

7) Raviteja+2

• Like 2

Confirmed List:

1) Sagar +2

2) Gowtham +1

3) Sruthi + 3

4) Varun + 1

5) Ashwin +1
6) Kashyap+2

7) Raviteja+2
8) Vamshi U K H+1

• Like 2

Confirmed List:

1) Sagar +2

2) Gowtham +1

3) Sruthi + 3

4) Varun + 1

5) Ashwin +1
6) Kashyap+2

7) Raviteja+2
8) Vamshi U K H+1

9) Prabhu +3

10) Rakesh sharma +1

• Like 3

Hi guys, As we have already mentioned as the number of slots are limited to 16 slots for this trip, We are dividing the members between the confirmed list and the waiting list as per RSVP prioritized order. Members who RSVP further will have to add themselves to the waiting list.

***Note: The members from the waiting list will be moved to the confirmed list if we have any drop outs from the existing confirmed list of members and the being prior to the same order will follow further.

Confirmed List:

1) Sagar +2

2) Gowtham +1

3) Sruthi + 3     (@Sruthi)

4) Varun + 1    (@varunchetluri)  

5) Ashwin +1    (@Asher)
6) Kashyap+2   (@Kashyap)

Waiting List:

7) Raviteja+2                    (@Ravi)
8) Vamshi U K H+1          (@Omik)

9) Prabhu +3                    (@prabhum)  

10) Rakesh sharma +1     (@sharma)

• Like 2

We have booked few more accommodations, here is the final list of members.

Confirmed List:

1) Sagar +2

2) Gowtham +1

3) Sruthi + 3

4) Varun + 1

5) Ashwin +1
6) Kashyap+2

7) Raviteja+2
8) Prabhu +3

If you guys know any interesting and offbeat locations in Ooty, please let us know.

Waiting for your inputs. 👍

• Like 3

On 5/17/2017 at 3:56 PM, Varsha. said:

258531bf35bd5e40dd5142a6a9bf16ad.jpg

Doddabeta peak

Nice place.

Some times it is over crowded.(commercial)

We will try to visit this place depending on the crowd.

Some off the beat locations in our list

1. Cairn Hill forest reserve.

2. Porthimund Lake

3. Avalanche lake

4. Pykar river

5. Upper Bhavani (permission required)

Coonoor

•  Tranquilitea Gourmet 
  •  Rallia Dam

Kotagiri

•  Kodanad View Point

• Like 2

I have been to Ooty in April.
Traffic is very high due to Holiday season.

You guys wont face much of a problem as the schools will start soon.
Good part, long weekend only for Telangana state.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, uday said:

Traffic is very high due to Holiday season.

It is better to avoid Ooty in April and May.
One of my colleague was stuck in traffic for 5 hours, between Ooty and Coonoor.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2017 at 1:50 PM, nitin88 said:

I am in :)

After a long time, still travelling countries? 

Slots are full as of now. We acceded the accommodation limit.
If there are any drop outs, we will let you know by this weekend. 

• Like 1

One more week to go. :)

Things to do this weekend :

1. Check the wheel alignment and balancing.

2. Check the air pressure of your spare tire.
3. Check your brake pads. Cars that have driven more than 40k kilometers on stock brakes, need to be extra careful.
4. Move your umbrella or raincoat into the trunk.
5. Take out your winter wear and keep them ready.

How to drive in the hills?

1. Never overtake in the blind curves.
2. Always be considerate to heavy vehicles, fully loaded commercial vehicles are tough to maneuver in hills.

3. If there is any traffic jam, stick to your lane. Do not overtake from the wrong side and block the on coming traffic.
4. When you are driving down hill.

• Break early, Judge your speed.
  • Give a way to vehicle driving up hill.
  • If the road is narrow, plan a passage point and slow down early.
  • In case of brake failure, use engine braking by shifting into second or first gear and engage handbrake.
  • Stay in the lowest gear possible, don't go beyond 2nd gear in steep sections.
  • Use horn when you are tackling with blind curves, you can use dipper during night. 

5. Driving up hill.

• Stick to your lane. (left)
  • Don't ride the clutch, use clutch only to shift gears or while starting from zero on a steep section.
  • Don't shift early, keep your car in the lowest gear, which helps you to stay in the power band.

Motion sickness:

• People suffering from motion sickness, try to sit in the front seat.
  • Keep you medication handy. (Avomine) 

Weather report of Ooty on June-2nd and June-3rd.

• Rains are expected.
  • Fill your wiper washer.
  • Roads will be slippery, keep your speed in check.

Screenshot_20170526-104724.png

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ranger
      A quick drive to Hidden Castle.
      Place is located around 100 kilometers from Hyderabad.

Road condition:
      4-lane with very few diversions. Once you hit the highway, You will reach the destination in an hour.

Food options on highway:
      Enroute you can find Haritha food court.

• By KSK
      Intro Rant:

Summers are always tricky. Most people don't prefer to venture out on a trip in summer, for obvious reasons. So, when I bounced an idea off a trip to Warangal this summer, everyone went nuts. They even ridiculed that I'm not in my senses. But I did not want to drop the idea just because someone feels it to be stupid. I needed a break from my monotonous work life, so I was adamant. I know my wife also wouldn't agree; even if she does, she doesn't come considering the weather, but I have to do the customary - inform. My son's response, quick as a wink, was "Let's do it". Wonderful kid. It took some collective effort by me and my son to get the go-ahead from the home minister. Phew!

Plan and Preparation:

Being a Kakatiya University graduate myself, I regret not exploring enough of Warangal (capital of Kakatiya Dynasty) for long, which is known for its rich history and heritage. Though it is well within 150 km distance from my hometown and also from Hyderabad, I did not specifically travel to see some of its historical places. So, it's that time again - One-day trip!

There was this understanding with my wife and me that any impromptu trip needs to be done and dusted same day. If it's feasible and possible then she and our daughter would also join. Otherwise, my only soul companion is my son on any given day. He can only match and endure my crazy schedule. But being peak summer, my wife was skeptical and worried about excessively hot weather. Only after explaining and reassuring about all necessary precautions taken, we were given the nod. I feel there is nothing like "perfect" time to travel. There is only convenient time. The more the amount of convenience the better. That's it. Peak season travel can bring expensive price tags, overcrowded tours, accommodation, parking and food problems etc. So sometimes off-season travelling could bring in some benefits. One such benefit is leisurely exploring the place in its entirety without hassle. In the end, it proved to be a wise decision as we could spend some quality time exploring the places (especially Laknavaram which is crowded during peak season).

Once the date (April 15th) was decided, it was only up to us on how many places we can cover in a day. We finalized 6 places. I've gone through Google maps for route and order of visit.

The Route:

Hyderabad -> Bhuvanagiri -> Yadadri -> Kazipet -> Warangal. 

This is the only route everyone takes from Hyderabad, but little did we know what was in store for us. The four-lane road is under construction from Yadadri (Yadagirigutta) to Warangal, and it is a 99-km section of National Highway–163 in Telangana. Lots of patches, diversions and traffic was allowed only on one side. It was a nightmare to drive with heavy oncoming truck traffic especially at night. It took nearly 4 hours to cover 145 odd KMs for return journey, excluding dinner time.

The Journey:

Below was the order of places we wanted to visit:

Bhadrakali Temple Warangal Fort Thousand-Pillar Temple Ramappa Temple Laknavaram Lake Pakhal Lake  
      Trip Details:

Total distance covered:  539 KM
      Total duration of the trip:  17 hours

Road Conditions:

NH163 - Yadadri to Warangal:  Quite a few diversions, patchy roads, potholes, and heavy truck traffic (at night). Other connecting roads are good to okay. If travelling to Pakhal lake from Laknavaram then do not blindly follow Google maps. It'll take you through some thandas.  We drove almost 6 KM through a thanda and got lost.  Just take left at Mallampalli and follow NH365 until Narsampet (Ambedkar statue), and then take left and follow Pakhal road till the lake.  
      Food Options:

Limited food options everywhere we visited except Warangal. At Laknavaram, food options available like lunch, but depends on the crowd. Better to carry home-made food to other places.  

Parking Facility:

Limited or no proper parking facilities at all places I visited. It'll be chaos at Laknavaram in peak season unless there is an alternative.  

• By sreeni
      Dear ALL,
      I am planning to travel to tirupati from Hyderabad by in a automatic car.
      Don't want to take bad roads. Can anyone please suggest the best route?
    • By travel.rtc
      This trip happened  during Novemeber 1st week 2018 and November first being our 9th Marriage Anniversary - we wanted to celebrate it in Mysore hence drived down to Mysore and to Ooty .

Started 10:00P:M from Hyderabad and highway was little busy with all RTC and Private Buses towards Bangalore and different parts of Rayalaseema.....we stopped at Kurnool Toll Tax and then started again but started being on a working day after tiring office work has shown the tiredness and me being only driver for the entire trip took good breaks ...we stopped between Kurnool and Anantapur near some petrol bunk and after Anantapur in the early morning to take some power naps ....Reached Bangalore Outskirts by 7:30 ..

The Morning Mystic view of Nandi Hills and surroundings was awesome and Bangalore Highway is very very super road except few speed breakers else so much fun to drive straight road.
      -- We Stopped at Hotel Nandi Upachar : https://goo.gl/maps/LwP1NeFtZoG2 
      Hotel was very very Decent and Has Nice Rest Rooms and ample parking place  - had quick refresh and Nice break Fast and there was Some Minister Visiting the Hotel and traffic was halted ...we had to further wait for 30 more minutes and started at 9:30 A:M and it took us some time to cross Bangalore and Hit Mysore Highway - as usual Bangalore traffic took a toll on us and Mysore highway was little busy.

We Stopped at Kamath  for quick Lunch and then Started for Mysore .
      I have a friend who works in Travel agency in Bangalore , he generally takes care of hotel bookings or cab bookings if needed whenever we are around  he has booked a room for us in Mysore  at Hotel Vyshak Residency - Hotel was good and has Hot water Supply all the day  - This )hot water)  is one of the must for the Hotels around that place in Winters 

-- Next Day Early Morning we went for Chamundi Temple  - Chamundeshwari Devi -One of the ShaktiPeeta ,We had good Darshan and had some prasadam at their kitchen.

While returning, at the Parking Lot My mother overheard some one saying Ooty from Here is 160 kms - She immediatley said to me its 160 kms which means like Hyderabad - Nizamabad [Nizamabad being my Native]
      She asked me ,Shall we go to Ooty too.
      Who can deny an drive down to Ooty and I said immediately OK and haven't said anything about Road -,she was not aware of Ghat road and being traveled  on Butter smooth Roads from Hyderabad till Mysore she expected it to be same straight roads....but later she was scared to the max after Gudalur when it was pitch dark and raining and Ghat Road Started

We had a quick visit to Shri Ganapathi Sachidanda Ashram and started for Ooty at 2:30 P:M  - if any one has this in bucket list when they visit Mysore and wants decent stay they can ask for room in Ashram campus and it is pretty less compared to outside while returning  to Hyderabad we have to stay in Mysore as it was night when we returned to Mysore from Ooty and we asked an room for accommodation as  it falls left while entering Mysore and they gave us a Big room was charged 500 Rs - all facilities were provided indeed 

Took little while to cross Mysore , later we had took some time to find an ATM to get cash and has to look for ATMs in NanjanGud , the Route taken was Via :
      NanjanGud  - > Gundlupete ->Bandipur -> Gudalur -> Ooty

---- Took Right turn after GundluPete  and went 11+ kms to visit Gopalaswamy Betta ....But now cars are not allowed to be driven till the temple and one must Take Karnataka Tourism Buses ...and those will be plied till 4:000 P:M By the time we went there its was 4:00 and we dont has an Option and it started getting dark  and we started back , returned to Gundlupete and reached Bandipur
      Same friend of mine booked a Room for us in  3 Star Hotel - Hotel Preethi Classic http://www.hotelpreethiclassic.com   which was closer to city center and had quick tour of Tea Factory , Botanical gardens did shopping at Tibet Market - Finding Good food in Ooty is little tough and we had our breakFast at A2B and its pretty decent and good .

Return Journey was Simple - Stopping here and there for few clicks and my car being Wagon R and people cautioned about clutch issues generally occur in that route and asked me to take some breaks and give some time for car and then start ...slowly reached Gudalur and it took sweet 4 hrs including photo breaks and tea breaks , Reached Mysore by 8:00 P:M  ,me being no mood to drive  wanted a break and i thought of starting next day early morning , and went to Ganapathi Sachithananda Aashram  -

They allotted a room  , we went to near by restaurant and had dinner - Next Day Morning after a good nap and fresh-up started at 5:30 A:M to Bangaore- Hyderabad , Had Break fast at A2B Food Court after Mysore on Bangalore Highway [Excellent and Neat rest Rooms] 
      Crossed Bangalore in midst of heavy traffic and being Monday it was very very tedious to cross Bangalore - Had stop after Bangalore at Shell Bunk and topped up the fuel ,they have checked the car and i took their engine oil and they did the oil change in quick time and started for Hyderabad . Bangalore Highway is one of the best roads i have driven and being day time we can find less traffic on Roads and one can certainly get bored too ...went into Anantapur town in search of a good mess for Lunch but traffic made to change our plans and we stopped at Dhaba some where in between Anantapur and Kurnool  highway .

After having Some Rotis started for Hyderabad which was Straight Road with speed breakers here and there 
      \

\

• Gandikota meetup on January 26 and 27th