India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

uday

Hyderabad Road accidents

Road accidents:
36de30c46674415cd5ad9e793789111f.jpg

My analysis on the Mercedes road accident in Hyderabad. 

Car in question : Mercedes  AMG G63

When: On may 10th this tragic took place.

Screenshot_20170510-104922_01.png

What could have went wrong on that day?

1. Rain

Yes it rained moderately on the day of accident, less traction and poor visibility. 

2. Metro Pillars
It is absolutely L & T metro design fault. How on earth are they using pillar as a divider without any protection.

100's of cabs and private vehicles ply on those roads at high speeds, during night time.
Most of the cabs lack the basic facilities like ABS and Airbags.
I can safely say a direct hit (Pillar) at 70~100 km/hr may kill all the occupants. 

IMG-20170510-WA0009.jpg

3. Night drive
I would suggest one to avoid late night drives without proper rest, My assumption is that the driver dozed off at the wheel.

3AM is a very critical time.

4. Over speeding
Driver was over speeding, no doubts. 
But I hate to see the media quoting 210 K/hr, seriously?

I know it is an AMG version of G series but take a look at the road before judging.
On that curve no SUV can do more that 70km/hr.
So my assumption of speed is around 120 ~140 k/hr, that is the maximum.
2.JPG

During hi-speed accidents, dials may not be stable as they change due to impact.
IMG-20170510-WA0027.jpg

Driving at 120 km/hr at 40 km/hr zone is a crime, but driving at 150km/hr at 120km/hr zone may happen with many of us. So stop judging with those ORR runs.

Show me a single well powered car which has not crossed 120 km/hr on ORR.
IMG-20170510-WA0028.jpg

Few more pictures of the car, after it moved from the crash site

IMG-20170511-WA0001.jpg

Some people said, buckling up may have saved his life but, take a look at the cabin and judge yourself.
Steering is touching the roof.

No car is immortal with seat belts and airbags in such cases.
Always belt up and stay in limits. Over speed kills.

2.jpeg

RIP both driver and passenger.
I am happy that the car ended up at pillar else some innocent would have lost his life.

Lessons:

• No car is safe at insane speeds.
  • One of my colleague did not buy with airbags. Reason: I drive in city only. This proves him wrong!
  • Avoid late night drives as much as possible when you are tired.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, sushil said:

He is not a normal guy s/o minister and richest tax payer in andhra pradesh

@sushil I guess the discussion here is purely about the car and how it broke down. I think the above statement makes no sense.

• Like 4

The map you showed is totally wrong. Look in the my screenshot. Accident happened at the point I circled in red. It is a straight road and no wonder anyone could drive at the a speed more than 150 kmph

accident.PNG

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Harish said:

The map you showed is totally wrong. Look in the my screenshot. Accident happened at the point I circled in red. It is a straight road and no wonder anyone could drive at the a speed more than 150 kmph

accident.PNG

This is the correct spot.

You can easily do 100 km/hr in that area during late night.

There is a minor curve at pillar no 9.

Clearly he dozed off at the wheel. No skid marks or symptoms of loosing control.

• Like 3

I was actually about to start the topic.. glad that, @uday started the discussion. Yesterday I went to the spot just to analyse what exactly went wrong that night. I went to jubilee hills check post and stared driving towards the accident spot, (as correctly shown by @Harish.) According to the media, the car was coming from jubilee hills check post. @Ranger is correct,, even if he started from a standstill(jubilee signal)  an AMG can easily reach 100+ KM/h in my opinion.(In fact, it might happen, that jubilee check post signal was green ; then doing 100+ is rather easy I guess).

Look at the visuals of the accident:-

My analysis is he might dozed off. Facts to support my claim:-

1) As per some news he was coming from a meeting(possibly tired),

2) It was quite late night(sleeping time!)

3) The city received thunder storm just an hour before(cozy weather & slippery road or aquaplane) the accident.

If you see the video minutely, it showed there was absolutely no effort to negotiate the curve. Yes it was high speed, yet one should have tried to negotiate the pillar, isn't it? But the car just hit the pillar as if there was no bend at all. (no, that was not brake light it was tail light, braking will leave some skid marks as rightly told by @Ranger, no media reported so till date) As I said, I went to the spot yesterday & tried to analyse the case. I came two times from Jubilee check post to the spot. Road quality is not bad, and this is the first bend after half a km straight road from jubilee crossing, chances are he just went straight ahead with that speed and missed the curve, thinking the road is rather straight.

Another thing can also happen that, he tried to negotiate, and instead of break he pressed the gas pedal.

Another possibility is, if you see the footage, two bikes were going almost on the middle of the road before the car reached the spot, may be he tried to negotiate them & sadly hit the pillar.

Be whatever it was, the car was clearly over speeding. It was surely doing around 120Km/Hr in my opinion.( 200+ km seems to be impossible). Which is way beyond to control such a monster car in that stretch. High centre of gravity(G63 is fairly high GC car) will make it even worsen to tackle any curve which is very normal in city limits. Even if a car is fully equipped with all the safety features nothing is beyond the science! After all, its a container of a steel we are sitting in. Any insane speed will surely kill its occupants. I mean look at it, the intensity was such huge that, the backside of the car went up to that height!!! Too much..

Lesson learnt. 

1) No car is safe car, unless you drive safe. Better be in your limits. Be under control

2) I said it earlier as well, avoid night driving as much as possible, night is our sleeping time & surely not a time to behind the wheels)

RIP both. May the strength be with their family to overcome the situation.

Be safe guys!

Pralay

• Like 5

That's great analysis guys, It seems to be very much right to me as well that he must have dozed off after seeing the lack of minimal effort to take a turn in the video footage.

It is always good to be at a safer speed especially when you are in the city limits and not being a reason to any innocent's death.

Also, the time during which the drive has happened was also during the devil's hour during which everyone might be more inclined towards falling asleep.

RIP and Drive safe guys!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pralay said:

this is the first bend after half a km straight road from jubilee crossing

200+ km seems to be impossible

This is media hype for sure.

the backside of the car went up to that height!!!

Good point.

Newton's third law!
If it is a normal divider or a wall, car could have pushed it.

Here there pillar is so strong that it did not even observe 1% of energy from the car.

It is similar to crash test videos that we see at 60 km/hr.

Pillar should be have some some protection.
It is too sharp in corners, a biker could loose his leg, if there is simple lapse in his judgement.
It will be a disaster for late nigh cabs, hope the government authorities wake up and install some protection. 

IMG-20170510-WA0009.jpg

• Like 4

Video is a clear indicator, car's back wheel went up to 60 degrees high. We can imagine the intensity of the hit(it is a 2.8 ton vehicle).

From the day one my question about Hyderabad metro remains intact: Does Hyderabad really need a metro?

With strict rules and better roads one can easily solve city's traffic issues.

Even if metro come into operational government has to push on using public transport, but it is doing in the other way. SRDP project encourages use of private vehicles making a way for more such accidents during construction phase.

Ultimate lesson learnt: When there is poor visibility be ultra careful, don't underestimate anything.

L&T has to install LED bulbs for better visibility of pillars during night times.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, sai86 said:

L&T has to install LED bulbs for better visibility of pillars during night times.

There are still some flaws in the design.

If you check the pillar, it has many sharp edges.

It is lying on the center of roads, thousands of vehicles pass that pillar.

If it is another country, government/people must have sued metro guys by now.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ranger said:

There are still some flaws in the design.

If you check the pillar, it has many sharp edges.

I don't see any logic to discuss about the design flaws of the pillar. In most of the cities, metro pillars are having sharp edges, Even if it is not having any sharp edge, will it ensure any safety for this kind of event, certainly not. Its very clear if you see the video, the only & only reason for this tragic incident is going beyond the limits. There's no point to find some flaws in designs when cars are pushing nearly 150 km/hr in jubilee hills.

It is lying on the center of roads, thousands of vehicles pass that pillar.

Oh C'mon, In most of the cities metro pillars/ over bridge pillars are in the middle of the road. I feel, as a citizen of the country our responsibility is to drive safe & bear this growth pain.

If it is another country, government/people must have sued metro guys by now.

Because of an incident clearly for over speeding(4-5 times than the speed limit of the area)?

Please don't take it personally,:( its just for the discussion. Hope you understand.:)

Cheers!  

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Pralay said:

Please don't take it personally,:( its just for the discussion. Hope you understand.:)

I would love to discuss about it for the whole night. 
But my wife gave a weird look when I fired up my laptop. :D

I don't see any logic to discuss about the design flaws of the pillar.

I agree that it is 100% drivers fault.

I stand on my words, pillar design/road divider design is pretty bad.

I drive on this road late in the night, at least three times a week.
After the accident, I started observing that particular curve.

I see late night cabs passing that particular pillar (Inches away) above 70 km/hr.
A small lapse in judgement or tire burst could kill the driver instantly.

I am more concerned about it due to fast curve. 

Oh C'mon, In most of the cities metro pillars/ over bridge pillars are in the middle of the road.

Divider should be running along the corners.
IMG-20170510-WA0009.jpg.4452e7c900f082e659b5d6e1b721b46a.jpg
This is a proper design.
Capture.JPG

Because of an incident clearly for over speeding

I'm talking about the pillar design. :ph34r:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ranger said:

I would love to discuss about it for the whole night. 
But my wife gave a weird look when I fired up my laptop. :D

Hey Hey.. I really dont want to hurt anybody. Please!

Namaste Bhabiji.!!:D   (Just kidding)

This is a proper design.

Brilliant example, I completely got your point & 100% agree with you. This may reduce fatal incidents also no abrupt road crossing by the pedestrians(though in the pics, still pedestrians are trying to cross the road ; seriously:D)

But again, I guess, this safe design could not help in this incident either. 150/hr is too much in that area. Simple rule: Drive Safe! 

Cheers!

• Like 3

I feel that no matter how the pillar is.... There have to be traffic barriers (crash barriers/armco barriers/guard rails) in place..

Plastic/metal/concrete anything. .

These barriers also makes sure the vehicles are kept within their roadways in case an accident happens.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using India-Drive mobile app

• Like 1

Btw guys. . Fun fact: Some of the barriers in the USA are crash tested with a 2 tonne pickup truck travelling at 100kmph colliding with the rail at a 25deg angle..

Source: Wikipedia, Traffic barrier stiffness

Sent from my ONE A2003 using India-Drive mobile app

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vjeevan said:

Fun fact: Some of the barriers in the USA are crash tested

This shows our backwardness in infrastructure.
Heck even our cars not properly crash tested. 

• Like 1

Surprisingly there is no comment from the car Manufacturer.

Do they accept the failure of safety equipment in the car or they just don't want to comment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sai86 said:

Surprisingly there is no comment from the car Manufacturer.

He is doing around 150 km/hr, No car will survive a direct hit at those speeds.

Pillar is so strong that it did observe any energy.

2 hours ago, sai86 said:

Do they accept the failure of safety equipment in the car or they just don't want to comment.

If Mercedes involves in the investigation, they will give us actual speed of impact.
Our government don't want those details.You know the reasons. :D

Interesting video of a crash test at 200 km/hr

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ranger said:

Our government don't want those details.You know the reasons. :D

Volvo will release a investigation report for every major accident reported.

May be this time it is big people so that is keeping Mercedes from making the report public. I am sure they might have done the analysis.

• Like 3

One more accident on ORR.

Actor died on stop.
1.jpeg.82b66dc1bc32afc711d6d6e52db42436.jpeg

Speedometer is stuck at 140 km/hr.
Looking at the car tells us, it is an high speed accident. 

According to the news, truck which broke down and was parked on the left most lane without any indications. 

Truck did not have rear crash guard. Skoda has directly took the impact on the A pillar.

ani-twitter.jpg

• Like 2