India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Siju@Yeti

Mumbai to Hyderabad road condition and route updates

Road trip : Mumbai to Hyderabad.

Route:
Mumbai --> Pune --> Solapur --> Akkalkot --> Kalaburgai --> Sedam --> Parigi --> Chevella --> Gachibowli (Hyderabad)

Friends - here's a brief synopsis of the Mumbai to¬†Hyderabad¬†drive on 29th April.¬†Needless to say, @Ranger¬†directions and suggestions were spot-on! ūüĎć

1. Left Mumbai (Powai) at 5am - this was 30 minutes delayed from plan.
  2. By 5:45am, covered the 40km stretch to the start of the e-way.
  3. Khalapur @ 6am and Talegaon @ 7 am (123 kms from home).
  4. Bad traffic on the e-way with lots of heavy vehicles. It was a crawl in the ghats even without a single truck breakdown.
  5. exited the e-way at 7:20am.
  6. 8:15am & 172 kms - Pune city exit and start of NH 65. Drive through the Pune city section and through 235 kms of NH 65 can be trying because of cross traffic. 
  7. Lots of nurseries & eateries in this section till Solapur.
  8. At 188 kms, Suruchi Restaurant and many mini restaurants dot the area
  9. At 200 kms, Vithal Kamat. For the record, we did not eat at either of these restaurants
  10. Refuelling of the Yeti done at BPCL bunk @ 358 kms (10:45am)
  11. The only point of confusion was when I reached a fork where the signage indicated the left fork going towards Solapur. Enquired with a local and was told that I should be taking the right fork as that was the Solapur bye-pass
  12. The road from Solapur to Akkalkot was a single road with no divider for the majority part. A section of it was getting tarred and there was 1 KM that was particularly nasty.
  13. Hit the Moroom Akalkot road @ 445 kms at 12:20pm
  14. At 1:30pm and 524 kms away from home, entered Kalaburgai/Gulbarga - the land of toor dal.
  15. Pulled into Hotel Lumbini Grand (1:45pm and 532 kms) for lunch. Fantastic recommendation, Ranger!! Good food and neat washrooms.
  16. Post lunch at 2:45pm, hit SH10 - 2 divider-less lanes.
  17. 4pm and 670 kms fromMumbai, entered the state of Telangana.
  18. Road changes character and the smooth Karnataka roads transform into rough patches!
  19. We pass by Chevella at 5:10pm (690 kms)
  20. Finally, 747 kms later and at 6:35pm, we pull into our destination at Srinagar Colony.

Overall, a fantastic drive exposing one to newer facts of the Indian landscape. This trip was all the more brilliant thanks to Ranger razor sharp advice and suggestions . Shall update with toll details and a complete log in a few days. Return journey is yet undecided - it could be either Hyderabad-Bangalore-Mumbai or directly back to Hyderabad. Keep you all posted. Till the, ciao!

• Like 8

Note: Moved to a separate post.

Very good report @Siju@Yeti, excellent attention to details.
This report will be a guide many road trippers.

3 hours ago, Siju@Yeti said:

Fantastic recommendation

Neat washrooms are must when we travel with our loved ones.

we pull into our destination at Srinagar Colony.

Hope you have enjoyed the beautiful Hyderabad ORR.

Hyderabad-Bangalore-Mumbai

These are one of the best roads to drive in India, My favourite stretch is Hyderabad to Bangalore.

• Like 3

Helpful information.
Once solapur to Hyderabad road is completed, Mumbai to Hyderabad is going to be a stress free drive.

Would love to see some pictures of Skoda Yeti, please click them on the return drive.

Beautiful car which is neglected by Indian market.

• Like 3

On ‚Äé5‚Äé/‚Äé2‚Äé/‚Äé2017 at 1:11 PM, Ranger said:

Hope you have enjoyed the beautiful Hyderabad ORR

Absolutely!! Brilliant tarmac! Wish other cities can emulate this.

Meanwhile, as promised, the travel log along with toll details. Hope this helps!

Hyd Trip Log.png

Edited by Siju@Yeti
  • Like 6

On ‚Äé5‚Äé/‚Äé2‚Äé/‚Äé2017 at 1:15 PM, driveking said:

Would love to see some pictures of Skoda Yeti, please click them on the return drive.

Yeah, it is a lovely machine! Thanks!

Yeti.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Siju@Yeti said:

Meanwhile, as promised, the travel log along with toll details. Hope this helps!

I am wondering, how you can log so many minute details. :ph34r:
Love your attention to details.
Excellent work, Perfect guide even to the experienced. 

13 hours ago, Siju@Yeti said:

Yeah, it is a lovely machine! Thanks!

Lovely car.

• Like 3

I used to drive Hyderabad to Mumbai regularly, since last 5 years, I am taking train/flight.

Zoom car made things easy, I'm depending on it completely. 
Hyderabad to Solapur road is shame to the country. I don't understand how many years they take to complete it. 

Once it is completed, It will start doing road trips again. 

Good that you guys found out an alternative route. Thank you for the detailed information @Siju@Yeti

• Like 4

Guest Srinivas Neralla

Dear Friends,

I have recently visited Hyderabad from Pune. As you all are aware, road from Pune to Solapur is excellent. However, from Solapur till we enter Karnataka (200 kms before HYD), the road is still under construction and you will see diversions. However, once you see the board "Welcome to Karnataka", you will have a sigh of relief, because it is newly laid four lane road until Hyderabad. It does have two tolls for 40 INR each. But the road is butter smooth with not even a single pothole.

I have been driving to Hyderabad from Pune for last 3 years and trust me, the road is lot better now, it's just 90-100 kms of patch which is still under construction.

Have a safe driving.

Regards,

Srinivas Neralla

On 5/5/2017 at 10:38 AM, Ranger said:

I am wondering, how you can log so many minute details. :ph34r:
Love your attention to details.
Excellent work, Perfect guide even to the experienced. 

Lovely car.

Apologies for the very delayed response, @Ranger!! Thanks so much for your kind words! I do try and keep a log as this way I can give back in my own small way to this wonderful group that we have! And my wifey is a very capable partner in crime for this!!

Edited by Siju@Yeti
  • Like 4

Guest Jitendra

I drove from Hyderabad to Kalyan back in 2007 and if I remember correctly, the stretch from ~ 70 Kms after crossing BHEL till Pune was not so great.

Too many diversions, roads were under construction and I see from the comments, it still is!!

God damn, so many years and still it is under construction!!!

Driving at Mumbai-Pune expressway felt like heaven after driving in Telangana and Karnataka.

Friends, it is time I make another Mumbvai-HYD-Mumbai drive. Wanted to check if anyone had specific updates on the road conditions. Am planning to take the Mumbai --> Pune --> Solapur --> Akkalkot --> Kalaburgai --> Sedam --> Parigi --> Chevella --> Gachibowli (Hyderabad) route. 

Suggestions/advice welcome!

Cheers!

Siju

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Siju@Yeti said:

Suggestions/advice welcome!

Solapur to Hyderabad route improved a lot.
I would suggest you to stick to NH, instead to taking Kalaburgai route.
Around 50~60 kilometres of bad road, rest all is excellent. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Siju@Yeti said:

Thanks, Ranger! Will do that! 

Great,Please update when you are done with the trip.¬†ūüėÄ

• Like 2

Guest Soumo

Hi, 

Planning to drive down from Mumbai to Hyderabad, can you please suggest which route to take ( depending upon the current road condition) 

Is the road ( NH 65) via Zaheerabad better now or i should stick to via Kalaburagi route. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Guest Soumo said:

Is theÔĽŅ ÔĽŅroad ( NH 65) via Zaheerabad better now or i shouldÔĽŅ stick to via Kalaburagi routeÔĽŅÔĽŅÔĽŅ

Stick to Zaheerabad road.

Roads improved a lot.

No need to take Kalaburgai route.

• Like 3

Hello everyone.

I like to share my experience of driving on NH65 to solapur in month of March 2018.

I am totally agreed with @Ranger .Stick to NH 65 Route.

1.TELANGANA-My starting point was Shamshabad Airport.

Taken ORR ,exit from ORR,and continued on NH 65. After ORR road is good but very busy and at some points I faced jam.But that was easy to maintain 80-100kmph.U will again get good tarmac near zaheerabad.Keep driving on it .

2.KARNATKA- cross zaheerabad enter karnataka.Very good-Good- Average road continues till Omerga.Actually in this route tolls are maintained by L&T group and it's very good.

3.MH/KR border & MH-

After driving on good roads, once u hit the poor or even average road it seems like someone pinched ur driving-soul and u starts yelling to self "Why India needs a Bullet train".?

BTW this rough average patch is somewhere around 70-80 km.I am exactly not sure about it .I think this border is disputed land b/w MH-KAR....No one is taking serious responsibility...But work is in progress.

Omerga to 10-15km before Solapur is this rough patch where u have to drive carefully.Please remain stick to GOOGLE MAPS as it will be helpful at diversions (I did the same).

Crossing this bad patch continued on NH65 till solapur.

P.S- In case of crisis or confusion , please remain glued to GOOGLE MAPS.Because whatever road condition might be  outside ,atleast u ll reach your destination finally.

REMEMBER- 'JourneyÔĽŅÔĽŅ¬†becomes successful,only when it complete."ÔĽŅ

HAPPY SAFE REVVING.THANKS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2018 at 1:04 AM, Guest Soumo said:

Hi, 

Planning to drive down from Mumbai to Hyderabad, can you please suggest which route to take ( depending upon the current road condition) 

Is the road ( NH 65) via Zaheerabad better now or i should stick to via Kalaburagi route. 

Thanks

You can continue to take the NH65 Soumo.. The road work is under progress but a lot better than before. I'm expecting it to be less than 50 kms of road construction work which is not bad either ways as it has small diversions.. And I would recommend you to start early to avoid the Truck traffic. Atleast 5:00 AM would be an ideal time to start the drive.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:24 AM, Aaditya said:

After driving on good roads, once u hit the poor or even average road it seems like someone pinched 

Thanks a lot for the latest update on the current status of the NH65 @Aaditya. Your inputs as per your recent experience has been very clear for anyone to confidently take the suggested route :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sagar said:

You can continue to take the NH65 Soumo.. The road work is under progress but a lot better than before. I'm expecting it to be less than 50 kms of road construction work which is not bad either ways as it has small diversions.. And I would recommend you to start early to avoid the Truck traffic. Atleast 5:00 AM would be an ideal time to start the drive.

Yes bro. Truly said.

Actually I started at 3.30 pm from RGIA airport(due to some office work) .And reached destination by 10.15 pm around .So if anyone has to drive on this route please start as early as possible.Its better for you.

Thanks

Edited by Aaditya
  • Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ranger
      A quick drive to Hidden Castle.
      Place is located around 100 kilometers from Hyderabad.

Road condition:
      4-lane with very few diversions. Once you hit the highway, You will reach the destination in an hour.

Food options on highway:
      Enroute you can find Haritha food court.

• By KSK
      Intro Rant:

Summers are always tricky. Most people don't prefer to venture out on a trip in summer, for obvious reasons. So, when I bounced an idea off a trip to Warangal this summer, everyone went nuts. They even ridiculed that I'm not in my senses. But I did not want to drop the idea just because someone feels it to be stupid. I needed a break from my monotonous work life, so I was adamant. I know my wife also wouldn't agree; even if she does, she doesn't come considering the weather, but I have to do the customary - inform. My son's response, quick as a wink, was "Let's do it". Wonderful kid. It took some collective effort by me and my son to get the go-ahead from the home minister. Phew!

Plan and Preparation:

Being a Kakatiya University graduate myself, I regret not exploring enough of Warangal (capital of Kakatiya Dynasty) for long, which is known for its rich history and heritage. Though it is well within 150 km distance from my hometown and also from Hyderabad, I did not specifically travel to see some of its historical places. So, it's that time again - One-day trip!

There was this understanding with my wife and me that any impromptu trip needs to be done and dusted same day. If it's feasible and possible then she and our daughter would also join. Otherwise, my only soul companion is my son on any given day. He can only match and endure my crazy schedule. But being peak summer, my wife was skeptical and worried about excessively hot weather. Only after explaining and reassuring about all necessary precautions taken, we were given the nod. I feel there is nothing like "perfect" time to travel. There is only convenient time. The more the amount of convenience the better. That's it. Peak season travel can bring expensive price tags, overcrowded tours, accommodation, parking and food problems etc. So sometimes off-season travelling could bring in some benefits. One such benefit is leisurely exploring the place in its entirety without hassle. In the end, it proved to be a wise decision as we could spend some quality time exploring the places (especially Laknavaram which is crowded during peak season).

Once the date (April 15th) was decided, it was only up to us on how many places we can cover in a day. We finalized 6 places. I've gone through Google maps for route and order of visit.

The Route:

Hyderabad -> Bhuvanagiri -> Yadadri -> Kazipet -> Warangal. 

This is the only route everyone takes from Hyderabad, but little did we know what was in store for us. The four-lane road is under construction from Yadadri (Yadagirigutta) to Warangal, and it is a 99-km section of National Highway‚Äď163 in Telangana. Lots of patches, diversions and traffic was allowed only on one side. It was a nightmare to drive with heavy oncoming truck traffic especially at night. It took nearly 4 hours to cover 145 odd KMs for return journey, excluding dinner time.

The Journey:

Below was the order of places we wanted to visit:

Bhadrakali Temple Warangal Fort Thousand-Pillar Temple Ramappa Temple Laknavaram Lake Pakhal Lake  
      Trip Details:

Total distance covered:  539 KM
      Total duration of the trip:  17 hours

Road Conditions:

NH163 - Yadadri to Warangal:  Quite a few diversions, patchy roads, potholes, and heavy truck traffic (at night). Other connecting roads are good to okay. If travelling to Pakhal lake from Laknavaram then do not blindly follow Google maps. It'll take you through some thandas.  We drove almost 6 KM through a thanda and got lost.  Just take left at Mallampalli and follow NH365 until Narsampet (Ambedkar statue), and then take left and follow Pakhal road till the lake.  
      Food Options:

Limited food options everywhere we visited except Warangal. At Laknavaram, food options available like lunch, but depends on the crowd. Better to carry home-made food to other places.  

Parking Facility:

Limited or no proper parking facilities at all places I visited. It'll be chaos at Laknavaram in peak season unless there is an alternative.  

• By sreeni
      Dear ALL,
      I am planning to travel to tirupati from Hyderabad by in a automatic car.
      Don't want to take bad roads. Can anyone please suggest the best route?
  • Gandikota meetup on January 26 and 27th