India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Sign in to follow this  
Pralay

Indian Cinemas: Can it play an effective role to promote Road Safety?

Before 3 idiots, most of us dint know about that beautiful lake at ladakh, did we? No wonder Indian cinemas (especially Bollywood) play a major role to spread awareness, culture etc. Though movies are being properly utilized to make people aware of culture, places, good or bad etc.(like movie "Kahani" to spread culture of Calcutta) However, I found that, neither Indian cinema industry nor the appropriate authority are utilizing Indian movies to reach out to the mass about the basic road safety.

Many times I observed that, they have added some extra scenes in between to promote some brands(like soft drinks, laptop, cellphone etc.). But there is hardly any initiative to promote the basic road safety features.

I sincerely believe cricket stars, Bollywood stars can reach out very effectively to common citizens than anybody else; this can be channelized to promote road safety.

Thats why, legendary sportsman Sir Sachin Tendulkar once made a statement that "I will never ever endorse any liquor brand not even cigarette, guthka because I know people follow me, people get inspiration from me, I dont want to spread any negative message to them."  On the other hand,  I will share some pictures from Bollywood movies where stars(the characters) riding bikes without helmet, which people will tend to follow..

Instead they could add an effective scene to insist (public) wearing helmet.  

KittyBestfriend.jpg

Whats your take on this guys? lets discuss!!

No harm to any stars, director, producer, politicians, authority, any person associated with Indian cinemas or any supporters/fans of them. Please take it sportingly. The post is not intended to harm anyone's image, rather the author respect each one of them for their immense contribution to our society, and expect a little extra to save people's live.

Cheers!

Pralay

• Like 6

In tollywood, actors/actress rarely use a helmet.

Yeah, trend should change.

In my opinion, it is all about infrastructure, awareness and governance.

If the population is the biggest issue.
How China is managing better(rules) than us?

90% of Indians don't strap on a helmet.
What is the use of helmet without a strap?

I know a guy, who use it for dust protect.

I know a guy, who earns 1 lakh per month and still buys a cheap helmet worth 500/-

I know a guy, who bought bikes costing 2 lakh+ and still bought a china helmet worth 300/-

I know a guy, who stops at the entrance of my office and straps on a helmet.
Because our office won't allow bikes without a helmet.

I know a guy, who doesn't use a helmet in summer.

I know a guy, who locks his helmet to the bike. When cops stop him, he shows the locked helmet to them.

We will try to spread as much awerness as possible.

But the ultimate awerness comes from better governance and infrastructure.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, driveking said:

But the ultimate awerness comes from better governance and infrastructure.

Completely agree with your point @driveking.

However Stars can induce such practices even without/with moderate infrastructure in our country. Take the example of pangong lake. 3 Idiots played a better role to promote the place than the appropriate authority did. And Infrastructure was nothing as compare to these days where we can find many businesses(Hotels, eateries etc) in and around that lake. :)

Cheers!   

• Like 4

I agree, movie stars and cricketers (&Mukesh Ambani ) can bring change in road safety

Virat Kohli endorses TVS, he could definitely teach some Road safety rather bragging about TVS' super bikes

Salman Khan SHOULD spread awareness so that nobody makes a mistake that his DRIVER made

Sent from my D2502 using India-Drive mobile app

• Like 5

Indian movies do promote unsafe riding. They think that its not cool as Indian movies depicts actors without safety gears. As if their visibility will be impacted. Though there are Indian laws against helmet-less driving in most of the situation they can easily get away by giving small “tip” to cops. Not just poor awareness, but also poor law enforcement. And it's high time they act responsible.

• Like 5

@sagar: True words mate. Instead of promoting road safety it promotes unsafe riding, See the pictures. One of the star is driving a bike not only without helmet but with an headphone, that too in a busy traffic at Mumbai..!!! Too much..

• Like 1

Very very important point made in the form of this post pralay. Brilliant point of view actually. True to your post bollywood or for that any film industry in India should strive to make road safety awareness among the citizens.

On the flip side, what do they (the producer of the film) get out of it? It is not a "commercial" element. Ranbir kapoor riding a top end expensive bike in movie is an indirect endorsement to the manufacturer and obviously they are paid to drive the particular bike and as far as wearing a helmet is concerned, that wouldn't allow the public to know that it is ranbir riding the bike.

Also, it is a our habit/birth right that we need constant monitoring. A traffic hawaldaar at a signal, otherwise people ignore a red signal. A manager at work, a watchman at a gate or for that matter an invigilator in the examination hall, all serve the same purpose 'monitoring'

It is our duty to mind our own safety, ask a person to wear a helmet whenever you see him/her not wearing a helmet, or remind them to wear a seat belt. I guess this is how awareness spreads. All this aside, may common sense prevail!

Sent from my iPhone using India-Drive

• Like 6

Very very important point made in the form of this post pralay. Brilliant point of view actually.

Thank you [mention=35]Ravi[/mention]. Hope this will help most our readers to observe safety everywhere, every single time!

that wouldn't allow the public to know that it is ranbir riding the bike.

Agreed, but how come John Abraham became famous after wearing helmet in most of the scene of "Dhoom". And most of us easily recognized that, actually john is riding that "hayabusa".. no hurdle was there in promotion, isnt it? 

On the flip side, what do they (the producer of the film) get out of it?

In India scriptwriters have got enough talent. I firmly believe, if they promote safety in an appealing way, then helmet companies will surely come forward for promoting their brand as a "safety" product in market. Correct me if I am wrong.

ask a person to wear a helmet whenever you see him/her not wearing a helmet, or remind them to wear a seat belt. I guess this is how awareness spreads.

Every time I Do it, but unfortunately some people will never change.. Though I could convince many of my friends, colleagues, neighbors.   

• Like 3

Excellent article Pralay.
Some one told me, 3/- rupee lemon trussed up to a number plate, has more effect than a seat belt and Helmet.

19 hours ago, Ravi said:

it is a our habit/birth right that we need constant monitoring.

Imagine a camera at each and every signal, clicks a picture of all violators and sends a fine amount on daily basis.
People will change. It is all about infrastructure and rules.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Ranger said:

Excellent article Pralay.

Thanks mate!  Hope this will help most our readers to observe safety everywhere, every single time

Some one told me, 3/- rupee lemon trussed up to a number plate, has more effect than a seat belt and Helmet.

Too much this is!!:D

It is all about infrastructure and rules.

I am not at all denying this fact.

But as I told earlier:-

On 4/7/2017 at 8:53 PM, Pralay said:

Take the example of pangong lake. 3 Idiots played a better role to promote the place than the appropriate authority did

Influential group/medias/people can play a major role to spread awareness. So my point is, till the time our economy/system affords camera or other infra, influential sections of our society may come forward to spread some good practice.

Hope it does not sound like I am arguing..:)

I am just discussing, every views are welcome!!:)

Best,

Pralay

• Like 4

Salman has already set a good example for the country. >:(
Where as few stars like Dhoni, Ajith etc are inspiring.
19ajith1.jpg

05_1428468603.jpg

• Like 3