India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Ranger

Hyderabad to Ahmedabad, Little Rann of Kutch, Dholavira and Great Rann of Kutch.

1 hour ago, sagar said:

December in Himachal will be a challenging task. Both for the drive and for us to withstand the climatic conditions. The chilled out weather and the snow is very harsh. We were almost numb for the time we stayed in Chitkul that night. Many of the locals in the village have migrated for the time being. It’s fun, adventurous and at the same time risky and extremely challenging emoji2.png

In that case my car would be filled with winter clothes 🤪 ..but once we can try doing that snow driving with the chains or something else on for the tyres..

• Like 5

In that case my car would be filled with winter clothes 🤪 ..but once we can try doing that snow driving with the chains or something else on for the tyres..

Snow chains during winter are a must and also 4x4 or AWD would be preferable
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, sagar said:

Snow chains during winter are a must and also 4x4 or AWD would be preferable emoji1.png

@Rangeris waiting for Jimny and renegade ... whatever he picks up should be good ... so let’s push him to get one of them asap ... if jimny not being launched in India then importing from Pakistan should do 😜..

10 hours ago, ksa171983 said:

@Rangeris waiting for Jimny and renegade ... whatever he picks up should be good ... so let’s push him to get one of them asap ... if jimny not being launched in India then importing from Pakistan should do 😜..

Just found that renegade is a no for India instead they launching something like a brezza and expect it around 2020/21. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sagar said:

Snow chains during winter are a must and also 4x4 or AWD would be preferable

Last year we managed without them.
Luckily, we did not encounter extreme snow fall. 

11 hours ago, ksa171983 said:

if jimny not being launched in India then importing from Pakistan should do

Haha, why complicated my life.  😁

We can take some self-drive Thar/Fortuner

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Haha, why complicated my life.  😁

We can take some self-drive Thar/Fortuner

Btw jimny is coming to India in 2020... 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, ksa171983 said:
Just found that renegade is a no for India instead they launching something like a brezza and expect it around 2020/21. 

I still have positive vibes that Renegade is gonna be launched in India by 2019. Can surely push @Ranger to get this :D 

• Haha 2

On 6/26/2018 at 2:15 PM, Ranger said:

Experience matters!

I'm sure you people will remember this part in the entire trip.

With group of friends, it will always fun into getting something like this.
Memories like these wont fade away because ..

if anyone talks about Gujarat, you will start your story. 😁

On 6/26/2018 at 8:32 PM, sagar said:

December in Himachal will be a challenging task. Both for the drive and for us to withstand the climatic conditions.

This is what we love right? 😍

Challenging roads..Adventure..but in a controlled manner!

• Like 4

Guest Shuvam

Awesome trip report and pictures.

I am planning a Kutch self-driving trip in February with family. Need some suggestions on the itinerary from the esteemed members here.

The planned itinerary is as follows :

Day 1 : Arrive at Ahmedabad in the morning (8-9am). Pick up rental car from Ahmedabad and drive to Little Rann. Drive through the LRK (enter from Bajana or Zainabad and exit through Palasava). Then to Dholavira and spend the night there. If time permits then see the Great Rann and/or the Harappan ruins.

Day 2 : See the rest of the attractions at Dholavira (whatever's not covered the previous day) and then drive to the Dhordo side. See the Great Rann on Dhordo side, may be Kala Dungar too. Attend the rann utsav musical programme and late evening drive back to Bhuj. Spend the night at Bhuj.

Day 3 : This day is not yet totally decided. I wish to visit the marine national park near Jamnagar and spend the night there. But if this is going to be a stretch then I may think of something else. Suggestions welcome.

Day 4 : Drive back to Ahmedabad and catch the evening flight. Is there anything on the way that is a must see?

Please let me know if the itinerary looks good. I realise it's probably on the tighter side but I would make an attempt unless it is absolutely crazy. 

Now for the questions :

- Do you recommend taking a guide to self-drive across the Little Rann? If so, where can I find one?
- Apart from the utsav related stuff (music, tent stay, etc.) is it necessary to see the Dhordo side of the Great Rann if I have already seen the Dholavira side?

Looking forward to your valuable inputs.

Best regards

12 hours ago, Guest Shuvam said:

Hi Shuvam, Welcome on board.

Considering your travel with family and the drive starting from Ahmedabad, the plan that you've drafted looks impossible to me..

It isn't possible to do both Dholavira and Little Rann of Kutch on the same day.

Your day 1 actually starts post 10 O clock starting from Ahmedabad and you would reach Little Rann of Kutch vaguely around 2 PM considering a food stop in between.

Your permits is for Little Rann won't consume much time but, Since you are travelling with family, I would recommend you to take a guide if your's is the only car doing the trip.

It is quite easy in this place to experience an adventure where you would have no humans, signals or anything for help as it is all deserted and a dried out lake. Since you are doing this with your family, I wouldn't recommend an adventure :) 

By the time you fall out and escape from little Rann, it will definitely pass 7 PM to sight any other place.

Let your day 1 include just Little ran of Kutch and your Day 2 and 3 can include the rest of the places you want to visit.

• Like 3

Guest Shuvam

Hi Sagar,

Thank you for your response. This is the kind of inputs I am looking at. So, do you think doing Dholavira (in the morning) and the Dhordo side of the Great Rann (in the evening) is doable on the second day? And even if I don't do anything in Dholavira on the first day, is the idea to drive until there and spend the night at Dholavira a good one? Or you would rather suggest staying overnight somewhere closer to the Little Rann? And if so, where?

Thanks again,

Shuvam

Your Day- 1 is going to be really hectic and no doubt about that, because the nearest place to both Dhordo and Dholavira where you get accommodation for families would be Bhuj and Gandhidham.

Gandhidham is more closer for you compared to Bhuj, to reach after your Great Rann of Kutch exploration on Day -1. 

For Day - 2, I would recommend you to do Dhordo and Great Rann of Kutch considering lesser crowd in the mornings especially during the Rann Utsav (Crowded) season. This place would also be extremely hot due to the salt marshy land in the afternoon. If you manage to fall out of Dhordo by noon, you can drive down to Dholavira and tour the Harappan and Mohenjadaro ruins (Indus Valley Civilization), Border line (Karni Temple) and get back to the Dholavira Salt marsh land to enjoy the Sunset.

• Like 3

Guest Shuvam

Thanks Sagar, much appreciated. I will get back to you if I have more questions. :)

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, Guest Shuvam said:

Hi Shuvam, My colleague has visited Kutch last week during the Christmas weekend. As per his update, The place was very crowded due to the Rann Utsav. Accommodations around the Rann Utsav area were very expensive. Do plan smartly and make your reservations well in advance.

• Like 2

I would suggest to do your trip after the Rann Utsav gets over. The place looks better with out crowd and much enjoyable. Between December to February, Kutch is heavily crowded because of the festive season.

• Like 1

Guest Shuvam

Thank you Sudhir and Raman. Appreciate your advice. I too is of the same opinion, though I would not be able to move the dates too much due to work commitments etc. That's why I am not planning to stay overnight at the Rann. I will stay until late evening and get back to Bhuj where accommodation is booked and decently priced.

Also from Bhuj, with the extra days I have I would be able to drive around to other places too, like the Great Indian Bastard Sanctuary. Any other ideas most welcome.

Nice travel log @sagar, @Ranger. This was in my list when I was in Delhi. But not able fulfill it. With your photos, I am cursing myself for not doing it. But will surely plan it in near future with information provided by you.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mit1682 said:

Nice travel log @sagar, @Ranger. This was in my list when I was in Delhi. But not able fulfill it. With your photos, I am cursing myself for not doing it. But will surely plan it in near future with information provided by you.

You should definitely do this drive. It has it's very own unique beauty laid all over this place. But, the sun is always soaring high being close to the equatorial region. Sun and Salt are a dangerous combination :D 

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Pulkit
      I am planning a trip to GOA from HYD by car next weekend.
      So anyone can suggest me the best route for that?

I am planning to leave around 2:00 AM from Hyderabad to Goa which way i have to take?
    • By Ranger
      Finally got a chance to fix my bumper scratches.

Two weeks back I had small bumper damage.
      Minor bumper crack Broken clips Deep scratches

Visited showroom:
      Replace rear bumper  Repaint rear bumper Need to order bumper Insurance claim charges Three days time (once the bumper is available)  
      From the past 15 years,
      I never gave my car outside the showroom.
      All the repaint jobs are done at showroom.

Last weekend, I decided to explore lower Tankbund options.

I contacted my friend who live around that area,
      He said most of them does the work well.

We picked a shop that my friend visits for bumper repairs. 

Quote given was 1200/-
      I was in shock :p (my aim was to get it done under 2.5k)
      Price was too tempting to leave,
      I gave a go ahead without any bargain.

Steps
      Reached paint booth at 10AM They remove the fuel cap Took it to paint shop  Got the color premixed They applied some Patti Some rubbing work done Removed tail lamp Fixed the broken bumper clamp Tail lamp fixed back  
      It was like a war zone, 5 members working on it.
      He spotted few scratches on front bumper Asked me another 300/- to fix :o I gave a go ahead Masked all the parts They sprayed 4 different types of paints At 11AM it is done and I out  
      Pros:
      Cheap Quick 100% colour matching Cons:
      Long term reliability Not so professional Ideal for only bumper damages Finishing is not so great, I can feel some rough edges.  
      Ideal place to fix scratches for a 5+ year old cars.
      For new cars it is always better to claim the insurance and fix it. (If you need professional quality)

Removed the fuel cap to get the correct paint

Applied some patti

Removed the tail lamp to fix the bumper clamps from inside (to avoid external screws)
      Rubbing is done.

Had few bumper scratches at the front corner,
      Shop owner asked for another 300/- bucks to fix it, since the paint will be left over.
      I gave a go ahead. 

They sprayed around 4-layers

Let the pint dry

Final output : Front bumper

Rear bumper

Once I get time,
      I will click pictures in the sunlight for the analysis. 
    • By KSK
      What is this BOCH: This group was created to provide a platform for Baleno owners from Hyderabad to share and seek information about various aspects like sales, service, warranty, insurance, accessories, modifications et al, and also to engage in frequent meet ups. These meets have helped immensely in knowing each other and also to strengthen the bond among group members. We hope to continue to organize these meet-ups as long as we can. Now the group's count is 160 plus members.

Prelude:
      After the 6th BOCH meet, we decided that we would be taking a long break and no more meetups anytime soon. That was in mid Novermber 2018.  But, as they say, men will be men, and rules are meant to be broken. And so we did exactly that in little over two month's time and completed the 7th meet on January 26, 2019.  And also, 8th meet is not too very far away, planning it in March. So this just goes to show 'the more that you resist the tide, the more it pulls you in'.  It is such an amazing Baleno group with enthusiastic guys who are always ready to meet and explore.

Preparation:
      Unlike our previous short meets, the 6th meet was a special one where we had spent the whole day in a resort. So the plan for the 7th meet was to stretch it for two days with overnight stay and return the next day.  While looking at options, a member shared the travelogue of India-Drive night camping at Koilsagar (done in 2017). Many members showed interest in this and we immediately put the plan into action. With date decided, I did a quick recce of the place. We calculated per-head cost if we take camp tents for rent and carry food. Everyone volunteered to share responsibilities. But the main concern and challenge was to organize night camping (especially with ladies and families involved) at an unknown lake with a large group. We had our apprehensions about permission, locals and security.  So we contacted India-Drive admins and took all the details of the organizer (Hyderabad Adventure & Trekker's club).  After discussing with HAT's club, they agreed to do our event and it proved to be a wise decision in the end. Though the pricing was a tad high but without them we could have lost and wouldn't have enjoyed the way we did. The package included T3 tents for 2 members, dinner, astronomy session and early morning trekking.  As a complimentary, they agreed to shoot our trip without any additional charge. Thanks to Mr.Dheeraj for wonderful arrangements.

Itinerary:
      Reach M Food Court (1st meeting point) located around 75 km from Hyderabad and 13 km after Raikal toll plaza by 2:00 pm. Reach Deverakadra and stop for drone shooting. Reach Koilsagar and search for camp site and sunset shoot. Introduction of members and organizers. Pitch tents and campfire. Followed by Dinner, BBQ, astronomy session and star gazing. At 6:30 am, early morning trekking to nearby hill By 9:30 am, return journey to Hyderabad.  
      How Things Went:
      The day before the meet, Hyderabad city had plunged into gloominess with not so good weather forecast the next day. We were worried about rain at the venue and it may play spoilsport to the event. To our dismay, it started to downpour on the meetup day as soon as we reached outer ring road. So we thought the trip is going to be a dampner.  Luckily, it stopped raining as we were out of the city though it remained gloomy till 1st meeting point.  All the members reached M Food Court before 2 pm (thanks to all for being punctual), but organizers were nearly 45 min late to arrive. We could only continue our journey from M Food court towards Koilsagar at 3:15 pm as opposed to itinerary time 2:15 pm.

Around 4:30 pm, we reached Deverakadra mandal and for about 30-40 min we had drone shooting, line up of Balenos and photo session. We reached camp site at 5:30 and scouted for a nice place to pitch tents and park our big convoy. There were some places already occupied by some others, but we managed to find a decent place. Everything went as planned after that like campfire, BBQ, astronomy session and star gazing, dinner followed by surprise activity with our Balenos, other shoots and of course lots of fun.  Many members were awake till 3 to 5 am (I slept at 3 am) with everlasting discussions.  Luckily, there wasn't a single drop of rain until the next day and we were so relieved for that.

Next morning, by the time we completed our trekking to a nearby hill, it was nearly 9:30 am and it started to drizzle. A few members had fun drifting their cars for 10 minutes in those wet conditions, and finally we bid adieu to Koilsagar - what was a memorable trip!

What We (and I) Missed:
      We could not shoot with drone at camp site because of low light. Forgot to take group pics though we had some pics taken during introductory session. I could not take my Baleno to the trip as our colony road dug up for laying new drainage pipes.😡  
      I let the pictures speak the rest:

Dark clouds looming overhead with rain:

Line up of Balenos at M Food Court attracted quite a few eyes:

Stopped at this straight scenic road of Deverakadra for drone shoot:

Classic line up shot using selfie stick:

Balenos parked Balenos in an arc at camp site:

Meanwhile, kids were having their own fun time:

Something you don't often find in cities:

Priceless expression:

Kids with kids ☺️:

Aesthetic Sunset:

A Baleno soaking in the sun:

Sublime Safari (a member came in this as their count was more than 6):

Another member came in his new Ignis (he's got Baleno and S-Cross too) 😎:

Behold the beauty of the sunset:

In the lap of beautiful nature:

Introductory and Interactive session:

Beautiful sight with camps in light:

Astronomy session and star gazing:

Half moon and its beauty, captured using 600 mm lens:

With chilling weather outside, campfire warmth was comforting:

BOCH members sans family and friends:

Intriguing photoshoot of Baleno headlights:

Woke up to this gorgeous view:

Hill that was trekked:

That conquered feeling:

Picture-perfect picture of the campsite:

Majestic view of Koilsagar:

An enthusiast's drifting:

The little one with its elder sibling:

One final line-up shot:

Final group pic of members before parting ways:

Being a part of this wonderful BOCH group and leading it was quite a learning experience for me.  Needless to mention, it enabled me to meet other Baleno owners and avid car lovers from different walks of life. I hope our bond becomes even more stronger as we grow bigger as a group, and embark on many more journeys.
      Hope you liked this short travelogue. Keep traveling and happy motoring!
    • By Ranger
      Hyderabad to Sikkim road trip :
      Four  BTech friends,
      Proper reunion after a decade.

Crossed two borders, (Nepal and Bhutan)
      Drove around 5.5k kilometres.

Hanging around with old friends and saying "Remember when..."(15 days of memories)

Trusted steed

Menu
      Day 1 : Hyderabad to Vishakapatnam
      Day 2 : Vishakapatnam to Puri
      Day 3: Puri to Kharagpur
      Day 4:Kharagpur to Malda
  • Gandikota meetup on January 26 and 27th