India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Ranger

Hyderabad to Ahmedabad, Little Rann of Kutch, Dholavira and Great Rann of Kutch.

1 hour ago, sagar said:

December in Himachal will be a challenging task. Both for the drive and for us to withstand the climatic conditions. The chilled out weather and the snow is very harsh. We were almost numb for the time we stayed in Chitkul that night. Many of the locals in the village have migrated for the time being. It’s fun, adventurous and at the same time risky and extremely challenging emoji2.png

In that case my car would be filled with winter clothes 🤪 ..but once we can try doing that snow driving with the chains or something else on for the tyres..

• Like 5

In that case my car would be filled with winter clothes 🤪 ..but once we can try doing that snow driving with the chains or something else on for the tyres..

Snow chains during winter are a must and also 4x4 or AWD would be preferable
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, sagar said:

Snow chains during winter are a must and also 4x4 or AWD would be preferable emoji1.png

@Rangeris waiting for Jimny and renegade ... whatever he picks up should be good ... so let’s push him to get one of them asap ... if jimny not being launched in India then importing from Pakistan should do 😜..

10 hours ago, ksa171983 said:

@Rangeris waiting for Jimny and renegade ... whatever he picks up should be good ... so let’s push him to get one of them asap ... if jimny not being launched in India then importing from Pakistan should do 😜..

Just found that renegade is a no for India instead they launching something like a brezza and expect it around 2020/21. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sagar said:

Snow chains during winter are a must and also 4x4 or AWD would be preferable

Last year we managed without them.
Luckily, we did not encounter extreme snow fall. 

11 hours ago, ksa171983 said:

if jimny not being launched in India then importing from Pakistan should do

Haha, why complicated my life.  😁

We can take some self-drive Thar/Fortuner

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ranger said:

Haha, why complicated my life.  😁

We can take some self-drive Thar/Fortuner

Btw jimny is coming to India in 2020... 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, ksa171983 said:
Just found that renegade is a no for India instead they launching something like a brezza and expect it around 2020/21. 

I still have positive vibes that Renegade is gonna be launched in India by 2019. Can surely push @Ranger to get this :D 

• Haha 2

On 6/26/2018 at 2:15 PM, Ranger said:

Experience matters!

I'm sure you people will remember this part in the entire trip.

With group of friends, it will always fun into getting something like this.
Memories like these wont fade away because ..

if anyone talks about Gujarat, you will start your story. 😁

On 6/26/2018 at 8:32 PM, sagar said:

December in Himachal will be a challenging task. Both for the drive and for us to withstand the climatic conditions.

This is what we love right? 😍

Challenging roads..Adventure..but in a controlled manner!

• Like 4

Guest Shuvam

Awesome trip report and pictures.

I am planning a Kutch self-driving trip in February with family. Need some suggestions on the itinerary from the esteemed members here.

The planned itinerary is as follows :

Day 1 : Arrive at Ahmedabad in the morning (8-9am). Pick up rental car from Ahmedabad and drive to Little Rann. Drive through the LRK (enter from Bajana or Zainabad and exit through Palasava). Then to Dholavira and spend the night there. If time permits then see the Great Rann and/or the Harappan ruins.

Day 2 : See the rest of the attractions at Dholavira (whatever's not covered the previous day) and then drive to the Dhordo side. See the Great Rann on Dhordo side, may be Kala Dungar too. Attend the rann utsav musical programme and late evening drive back to Bhuj. Spend the night at Bhuj.

Day 3 : This day is not yet totally decided. I wish to visit the marine national park near Jamnagar and spend the night there. But if this is going to be a stretch then I may think of something else. Suggestions welcome.

Day 4 : Drive back to Ahmedabad and catch the evening flight. Is there anything on the way that is a must see?

Please let me know if the itinerary looks good. I realise it's probably on the tighter side but I would make an attempt unless it is absolutely crazy. 

Now for the questions :

- Do you recommend taking a guide to self-drive across the Little Rann? If so, where can I find one?
- Apart from the utsav related stuff (music, tent stay, etc.) is it necessary to see the Dhordo side of the Great Rann if I have already seen the Dholavira side?

Looking forward to your valuable inputs.

Best regards

12 hours ago, Guest Shuvam said:

Hi Shuvam, Welcome on board.

Considering your travel with family and the drive starting from Ahmedabad, the plan that you've drafted looks impossible to me..

It isn't possible to do both Dholavira and Little Rann of Kutch on the same day.

Your day 1 actually starts post 10 O clock starting from Ahmedabad and you would reach Little Rann of Kutch vaguely around 2 PM considering a food stop in between.

Your permits is for Little Rann won't consume much time but, Since you are travelling with family, I would recommend you to take a guide if your's is the only car doing the trip.

It is quite easy in this place to experience an adventure where you would have no humans, signals or anything for help as it is all deserted and a dried out lake. Since you are doing this with your family, I wouldn't recommend an adventure :) 

By the time you fall out and escape from little Rann, it will definitely pass 7 PM to sight any other place.

Let your day 1 include just Little ran of Kutch and your Day 2 and 3 can include the rest of the places you want to visit.

• Like 3

Guest Shuvam

Hi Sagar,

Thank you for your response. This is the kind of inputs I am looking at. So, do you think doing Dholavira (in the morning) and the Dhordo side of the Great Rann (in the evening) is doable on the second day? And even if I don't do anything in Dholavira on the first day, is the idea to drive until there and spend the night at Dholavira a good one? Or you would rather suggest staying overnight somewhere closer to the Little Rann? And if so, where?

Thanks again,

Shuvam

Your Day- 1 is going to be really hectic and no doubt about that, because the nearest place to both Dhordo and Dholavira where you get accommodation for families would be Bhuj and Gandhidham.

Gandhidham is more closer for you compared to Bhuj, to reach after your Great Rann of Kutch exploration on Day -1. 

For Day - 2, I would recommend you to do Dhordo and Great Rann of Kutch considering lesser crowd in the mornings especially during the Rann Utsav (Crowded) season. This place would also be extremely hot due to the salt marshy land in the afternoon. If you manage to fall out of Dhordo by noon, you can drive down to Dholavira and tour the Harappan and Mohenjadaro ruins (Indus Valley Civilization), Border line (Karni Temple) and get back to the Dholavira Salt marsh land to enjoy the Sunset.

• Like 3

Guest Shuvam

Thanks Sagar, much appreciated. I will get back to you if I have more questions. :)

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, Guest Shuvam said:

Hi Shuvam, My colleague has visited Kutch last week during the Christmas weekend. As per his update, The place was very crowded due to the Rann Utsav. Accommodations around the Rann Utsav area were very expensive. Do plan smartly and make your reservations well in advance.

• Like 2

I would suggest to do your trip after the Rann Utsav gets over. The place looks better with out crowd and much enjoyable. Between December to February, Kutch is heavily crowded because of the festive season.

• Like 1

Guest Shuvam

Thank you Sudhir and Raman. Appreciate your advice. I too is of the same opinion, though I would not be able to move the dates too much due to work commitments etc. That's why I am not planning to stay overnight at the Rann. I will stay until late evening and get back to Bhuj where accommodation is booked and decently priced.

Also from Bhuj, with the extra days I have I would be able to drive around to other places too, like the Great Indian Bastard Sanctuary. Any other ideas most welcome.

Nice travel log @sagar, @Ranger. This was in my list when I was in Delhi. But not able fulfill it. With your photos, I am cursing myself for not doing it. But will surely plan it in near future with information provided by you.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mit1682 said:

Nice travel log @sagar, @Ranger. This was in my list when I was in Delhi. But not able fulfill it. With your photos, I am cursing myself for not doing it. But will surely plan it in near future with information provided by you.

You should definitely do this drive. It has it's very own unique beauty laid all over this place. But, the sun is always soaring high being close to the equatorial region. Sun and Salt are a dangerous combination :D 

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Rajagopal
      Hi guys,

Mid of April month,
      I am Planning to have a Shirdi trip from Lingampally(Hyderabad),

Route :
      Lingampally - Naldurg - Tuljapur - Terkhed - Jamkhed - Ahmednagar - Shirdi
      return with same route.

Would like to know the current road condition of the above route.

Thanks,
      Rajagopal
    • By Shekar
      This is about June 2016 travel to Tadoba Tiger reserve from Hyderabad. 

In Jan-2016 I had traveled Chopta and Munsiyari  in Uttarakand with another three new travelers met first time at Delhi. One of them Mr. Pandey is from Nagpur and he asked me to come down to Nagpur for visiting Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve and booked safari a couple of months before for 12th June 2016 . Till then I had no experience of any forest safary and I was excited to see many wild animals. Mean time our travel friends planned for Ladakh tour in the last week of June, 2016 (25-06-2016). It was one of the dream destination and I know it will be difficult and expensive if I go alone and said OK and booked flight/train to Delhi and back. Then started thinking  it will be hectic for two tours in two weeks. But Pandey who is also coming for Ladakh trip did not agree and made me to visit Tadoba.   

Day 1
      On 11th June we started at 5.00 Hrs in my car from Hyderabad. My wife and son were with me. We are two drivers and had a back seat to sleep if needed. We reached Nirmal by 8.00 Hrs entered town leaving NH44 and had breakfast at Hotel Mayuri. Breakfast was good but when we had lunch next year, it was very bad. We joined NH44 through old NH7 road. Reached Nagpur by 13.00 Hrs and Pandey's home by 13.30. 

Roads up to Adilabad were excellent. Four lane work and Underpass works at Hingenghat (about 30 Kms) not completed and have to change lanes and pass through the villages. Road at places in this section also not good. After that till Nagpur roads are good. 

One more travelmate Mr. Jagtap from Betul (MP) who is mine safety officer in Western Coal Fields (WCF) and a native of Nagpur was supposed to join us with his family in his car. But due to some fire accident in a coal mine he could not join us. 

Our plan was to reach  WCF guest house at Murpar which is about 15 Kms away from Navegaon Gate of Tadoba Reserve and stay overnight and reach the gate early in the morning. 

We started from Nagpur at about 17.00 Hrs and reached Murpar by 19.45 Hrs. While entering Chandrapur district at Umred check-post, local police stopped our car for checking and found one whiskey bottle in our luggage which was kept by Pandey.

The police told me that alcohol  is banned in chandrapur district and we can not carry. I said I am from Hyderabad and I do not the local rules and never imagined that a particular district will have a ban.

He looked at Pandey in the car and asked he is from Maharashtra and how come he do not know. I said he does not know about it and i brought it my self. Some how he took away the bottle and allowed us to proceed further.  

So those who are travelling to Tadoba please do not carry alcohol. 

By the time we reached Chimur which is a little bigger town close to Navegaon Gate, it started drizzling and when we took right turn at Khadsangi for Murpar, heavy downpour started and visibility was hardly 20 mtrs in head lights. Left turn at Khadsangi will lead to Navegaon gate. Mr. Jagtap booked the guest house at WCF mine area, Murpar. We found one Telugu cook in the guest house and when we told him about Umred check post incident, he said we are too lucky to be let off, otherwise they arrest and harras for carrying alcohol. When we asked about dinner he said other than non veg, he will prepare any thing. Non Veg has to be brought from Chimur some 12 Kms away and it is not possible at that time and that too in heavy rain. We ordered roti, dal and sabji with omlets. 

Mean time me and pandey went to Khadsangi in the rain and enquired about safari vehicles. we were told that there is no need to book in advance and Gypsy cars will be available at the gate as per the serial and as many as permitted for the day/session. We had dinner and had good sleep. 

Day 2 

We got up early and reached Navegaon gate before 5.30 Hrs. We found only one car before us at the gate. We went to gate office and booked a safari car and engaged a Guide. Safari car is for Rs. 600 and Guide Rs.350 (That's what I remember). Sky is clear and we found water of previous night's rain on the roads pot holes. We entered the forest by 5.45. Our guide said it is always advantage of more sightings if your car is first and it proved correct. 

Myself with wife and kids of Pandey

The first site before entering the core area

Second sighting a glimpse of bear  

Then a Jackal 

There were lot of birds and I could not shoot them as I do not have a proper lens. 

The same bear came out of the forest and crossed our path. 

We were told that Tiger will come here but after waiting enough time he did not turned up. 

There are many deers and Neelgai

Obviously not happy with our presence

Canter from Moharli gate 

Now many jeeps arrived and waiting at a water hole for the arrival of the Big Cat. 

But it did not show up and the our morning session ended. Little disappointed and our guide was telling us that people make more than six safaris and go back without seeing a Tiger. We had a booking for afternoon safari also. With a little hope we returned to our guest house. 

On the way back from morning safari

Padey with our Driver and Guide. 

Will continue with after noon Safari.. 
    • By Krishnan
      I am planning for a south India road trip in late April- 2019.

I will be starting from Hyderabad and would like to cover madurai, rameswaram, kodaikanal, kanyakumari and anything else across the same route. 

Need your expert guidance for this trip. I will be travelling with my wife and 7 yr old kid on Tata Nexon. 
       I need help in the best route to follow, hotels to stay etc..

Thanks.
      Krishna
    • By Ranger
      Go-Karting tracks in Hyderabad

1. Chicane Circuit (Leonia Shameerpet)

Length :
      1.2 kilometers (600 meters recreational : 1200 meters professional) 

Timings:
      Weekdays: 10 AM to 12 Midnight Weekends: 10 AM to 12 Midnight Monday Holiday  
      Pricing
      Baby Kart - 8 Laps INR 280/- Level 1 - 7 bhp - 12 Laps INR 370/- Level 1 - 7 bhp 10 mins INR 540/- Twin Kart - 7 Laps with Max of 5 Mins. INR 530/- Micro Max Kart INR 660/- Level 2 - 16 bhp 10 mins INR 1050/- Level 3 - Rotax (7 laps) INR 900/-  

• Gandikota meetup on January 26 and 27th