India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

I had a following conversion with my colleague.

4.jpg

Him: I got a full tank of bad fuel.
Me: What is the issue?
Him: Pick up is down and engine sound increased.

Me: Any jerking, smoke?
Him: Nope, only less pickup.
Me: Frankly speaking from the past 10 years, I was never able to distinguish the difference between fuel stations.
Him: You will understand, observe closely.
Me: I tried BP, HP, shell and Indian Oil, all performed same for me.

Him: Are you able to understand the difference between normal and Power petrol?
Me: No, I tried power petrol, felt it is not worth the money.

Him: You don't concentrate on your car while driving.
Me: :o

Frankly speaking, I never understood the difference between fuel qualities.

What is your opinion guys?

• Like 2

No man, I regularly use BPCL oil as the fuel station is just near my residence. Tried IOCL & HP couple of times on road trips. Never felt any difference. Even dint find any major difference when a fuel station poured "power petrol" on a road trip 

So it seems I don't concentrate on my car while driving either..!!:D

• Like 1

Even I don't understand the difference.

I used Shell petrol at Raidurgam after few years it was closed.
Now BP opened new outlet at the same location. Currently I switch between BP, Raidurgam and Indian oil, Hi-tech city .

Same route,same car, different fuel. I cannot catch any disparity in performance.

I feel power petrol is just to extract money.

May be, turbo petrol will perform better, For NA engines it is waste of money.

So it seems I don't concentrate on my car while driving either..!!:D

Hahah, even I don't concentrate.

• Like 3

I use IOCL XtraPremium for my SX4 and generally have found the pickup to be a little better than the standard fuel. It doesn't greatly improve the mileage though.

The manager/staff at the fuel station usually ask me (I have been a regular at that bunk since 1997 :) - beginning of my two wheeler days) if the mileage has improved after using the XtraPremium and my answer is a big 'No'. Then I question them back that how do I validate that this is premium fuel and not the standard one, couple of times they invited me to test it (somehow on those occasions I was in a hurry so didn't go ahead) otherwise usually its a big smile that I get in return :D 

Also had used the BPCL Turbo+ (or something like that) in 2006 - 08  for my Bajaj Avenger, it costed around INR 65 bucks when the normal fuel was around INR 47-48. It had really improved the engine performance and pick up.

The engine used to sound so smooth and refined after using that fuel. So I think the grade/quality of fuel does have an impact.

On long drives the usual problem is that over 98% of the fuel stations on highways are cheats and you will never get worth of what you pay them.    

• Like 3

On 3/2/2017 at 4:31 PM, vinz said:

On long drives the usual problem is that over 98% of the fuel stations on highways are cheats and you will never get worth of what you pay them

Agree on this, I had a very bad experience.
Few years back, I filled up at IOCL, it looked very old and filthy. It was midnight and we were short on fuel.

After driving about 100 kilometers, my car started to jerk at low rpms, it was very unpredictable. 

I suspected some issue with the car, We stopped at ford showroom, they asked us to wait till evening for analysis.
We headed few more kilometers and stopped at a road side garage, he straight away drained the fuel.

We got around 10 liters of fuel from the town and filled it,  jerking vanished after 2 kilometers drive.

He charged us 800/- and all the work done under 2 hours. 

• Like 2

That's a bad situation to be in. I think in long drives we should also plan where will re-fuel just as we plan for many other logistics for a comfortable drive.

3 hours ago, gowtham said:

I suspected some issue with the car, We stopped at ford showroom, they asked us to wait till evening for analysis.
We headed few more kilometers and stopped at a road side garage, he straight away drained the fuel.

We got around 10 liters of fuel from the town and filled it,  jerking varnished after 2 kilometers drive.

He charged us 800/- and all the work done under 2 hours. 

There is another trick that the attendants use in fuel stations, irrespective of the amount you ask them to fill up they will enter a pre-determined amount like Rs 500 and then feign ignorance saying they didn't hear you properly. The fuel vending units are adjusted to pump in fuel worth 400 whenever they set it for 500. They then don't reset it to zero and continue from 500 to the amount you stated. This fraudulent mechanism is used by most of the stations in highways. Faced it once on the Bangalore highway in an IOCL station after Kurnool.  

• Like 1

I always plan everything on a road trip. Be it chai break, fuel break or lunch break. On bangalore highway I fill up in BPCL COCO(Ghar Dhaba), gooty.

But you know, sometimes everything may not work as per your plan.!!

• Like 2

Agree.. not everything can be planned but having an idea and gathering feedback might make a lot of difference :)

• Like 2

Yeas.. That's what we ensure every single time out on a road trip. We both study the entire route almost about everything..!!!

• Like 1

Looks like even I don't concentrate on my car while driving

The only best practice I follow is to tank up in early hours before 5:00 AM.

• Like 2

I had a following conversion with my colleague.
4.jpg

Him: I got a full tank of bad fuel.
Me: What is the issue?
Him: Pick is down and engine sound increased.

Me: Any jerking, smoke?
Him: Nope, only less pickup.
Me: Frankly speaking from the past 10 years, I was never able to distinguish the difference between fuel stations.
Him: You will understand, observe closely.
Me: I tried BP, HP, shell and Indian Oil, all performed same for me.

Him: Are you able to understand the difference between normal and Power petrol?
Me: No, I tried power petrol, felt it is not worth the money.

Him: You don't concentrate on your car while driving.
Me: 

Frankly speaking, I never understood the difference between fuel qualities.

What is your opinion guys?

I generally don't prefer power/speed petrol..
But once got to fill speed petrol at Somajiguda HP STATION.
Observed one kmpl extra mileage on my harley (on an avg) dunno if it was for the driving conditions or the fuel played its role. Will check once again on a highway and update
  • Like 3

As per the present urban circumstances in the country, I think all cars are designed just to work on regular fuel and there will no benefits taken of the so called premium fuels unless our credit card is giving us a 15% rebate on every rupee spent. xD As per my knowledge, only cars or bikes that are designed for a certain purpose say racing can deserve the premium fuel as they have a higher octane number which helps in resistance to detonation such as rattling or getting knocked down... 

So, a normal unleaded good fuel which not necessarily have to be a premium one serves well for our cars. :)

• Like 2

Hey guys, I have heard from a lot of people that Reliance and the Essar fuel stand on a better hand to give the vehicle a better mileage and a smoother run. Is that so? will any additives be added to the fuel for this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramuc said:

Reliance and the Essar fuel stand on a better hand to give the vehicle a better mileage

I'm not sure about Essar, but Reliance is catching up now.
Their fuel stations are neat and have good washrooms.
Lately, I am seeing few advertisements, stating lesser fuel cost than market price.

• Like 3

Even I was surprised at the fact that people saying Reliance was giving more mileage. But, From my experience, I felt considerate increase of mileage on my bike with Reliance petrol. I haven't noticed any performance difference though. Or is it because Reliance stations have more accurate meters is what I felt

• Like 2

This is something I learned. Always fuel up at COCO stores only.

From my experience Shell~IndianOil > HP > BP

Shell fuel is the best (which I used to get in Bangalore but not in Hyderabad anymore). However, in India Shell purchases fuel from Indian Oil and sells it (with 1rs more premium).

I wouldn't fuel up anywhere else unless it's emergency. Even in those cases, I top up with 10-15Ltrs so that I can reach COCO station.

Rapid and Vento has around 60L fuel tank capacity so usually I can do trips around 800-1000kms without worrying about where to fill.

• Like 4

Shell in nanakaramguda did some fraud, they installed some remote control, which will control the fuel during a full tank.

It came in news, later it was removed completely.

COCO stores are any day better than private pumps.

• Like 2

Best fuel station in Hyderabad is Civil Supplies Petrol Pump (HP). This is the government run petrol pump and you can expect good quality fuel.

Timings:8.30 am to 8.30 pm (Sunday holiday)

Place: Central Secretariat, Khairatabad.

https://goo.gl/maps/imeghzg6ixw

Note: Their will be Que at this place. Be prepared and wait for your turn.

• Like 2

Bumping this thread.

Can anyone tell me best fuel station for Petrol and which variant of Petrol fuel is suggested?

I am looking for Octane 97 fuel however I can't find in Hyderabad from Internet so far.

Speed 97 seems to be available in all metro cities including Hyderabad. Couldn't find where? :(

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nitin88 said:

Speed 97 seems to be available in all metro cities including Hyderabad. Couldn't find where? :(

Speed 97 is available in Manikonda.

Sharing the Google maps link:

Bharath Petroleum
Old Mumbai Hwy, Chitrapuri Colony, Manikonda, Hyderabad, Telangana 500008

https://goo.gl/maps/N1Zj5gNCwVD2

• Like 1