India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

I had a following conversion with my colleague.

4.jpg

Him: I got a full tank of bad fuel.
Me: What is the issue?
Him: Pick up is down and engine sound increased.

Me: Any jerking, smoke?
Him: Nope, only less pickup.
Me: Frankly speaking from the past 10 years, I was never able to distinguish the difference between fuel stations.
Him: You will understand, observe closely.
Me: I tried BP, HP, shell and Indian Oil, all performed same for me.

Him: Are you able to understand the difference between normal and Power petrol?
Me: No, I tried power petrol, felt it is not worth the money.

Him: You don't concentrate on your car while driving.
Me: :o

Frankly speaking, I never understood the difference between fuel qualities.

What is your opinion guys?

• Like 2

No man, I regularly use BPCL oil as the fuel station is just near my residence. Tried IOCL & HP couple of times on road trips. Never felt any difference. Even dint find any major difference when a fuel station poured "power petrol" on a road trip 

So it seems I don't concentrate on my car while driving either..!!:D

• Like 1

Even I don't understand the difference.

I used Shell petrol at Raidurgam after few years it was closed.
Now BP opened new outlet at the same location. Currently I switch between BP, Raidurgam and Indian oil, Hi-tech city .

Same route,same car, different fuel. I cannot catch any disparity in performance.

I feel power petrol is just to extract money.

May be, turbo petrol will perform better, For NA engines it is waste of money.

So it seems I don't concentrate on my car while driving either..!!:D

Hahah, even I don't concentrate.

• Like 3

I use IOCL XtraPremium for my SX4 and generally have found the pickup to be a little better than the standard fuel. It doesn't greatly improve the mileage though.

The manager/staff at the fuel station usually ask me (I have been a regular at that bunk since 1997 :) - beginning of my two wheeler days) if the mileage has improved after using the XtraPremium and my answer is a big 'No'. Then I question them back that how do I validate that this is premium fuel and not the standard one, couple of times they invited me to test it (somehow on those occasions I was in a hurry so didn't go ahead) otherwise usually its a big smile that I get in return :D 

Also had used the BPCL Turbo+ (or something like that) in 2006 - 08  for my Bajaj Avenger, it costed around INR 65 bucks when the normal fuel was around INR 47-48. It had really improved the engine performance and pick up.

The engine used to sound so smooth and refined after using that fuel. So I think the grade/quality of fuel does have an impact.

On long drives the usual problem is that over 98% of the fuel stations on highways are cheats and you will never get worth of what you pay them.    

• Like 3

On 3/2/2017 at 4:31 PM, vinz said:

On long drives the usual problem is that over 98% of the fuel stations on highways are cheats and you will never get worth of what you pay them

Agree on this, I had a very bad experience.
Few years back, I filled up at IOCL, it looked very old and filthy. It was midnight and we were short on fuel.

After driving about 100 kilometers, my car started to jerk at low rpms, it was very unpredictable. 

I suspected some issue with the car, We stopped at ford showroom, they asked us to wait till evening for analysis.
We headed few more kilometers and stopped at a road side garage, he straight away drained the fuel.

We got around 10 liters of fuel from the town and filled it,  jerking vanished after 2 kilometers drive.

He charged us 800/- and all the work done under 2 hours. 

• Like 2

That's a bad situation to be in. I think in long drives we should also plan where will re-fuel just as we plan for many other logistics for a comfortable drive.

3 hours ago, gowtham said:

I suspected some issue with the car, We stopped at ford showroom, they asked us to wait till evening for analysis.
We headed few more kilometers and stopped at a road side garage, he straight away drained the fuel.

We got around 10 liters of fuel from the town and filled it,  jerking varnished after 2 kilometers drive.

He charged us 800/- and all the work done under 2 hours. 

There is another trick that the attendants use in fuel stations, irrespective of the amount you ask them to fill up they will enter a pre-determined amount like Rs 500 and then feign ignorance saying they didn't hear you properly. The fuel vending units are adjusted to pump in fuel worth 400 whenever they set it for 500. They then don't reset it to zero and continue from 500 to the amount you stated. This fraudulent mechanism is used by most of the stations in highways. Faced it once on the Bangalore highway in an IOCL station after Kurnool.  

• Like 1

I always plan everything on a road trip. Be it chai break, fuel break or lunch break. On bangalore highway I fill up in BPCL COCO(Ghar Dhaba), gooty.

But you know, sometimes everything may not work as per your plan.!!

• Like 2

Agree.. not everything can be planned but having an idea and gathering feedback might make a lot of difference :)

• Like 2

Yeas.. That's what we ensure every single time out on a road trip. We both study the entire route almost about everything..!!!

• Like 1

Looks like even I don't concentrate on my car while driving

The only best practice I follow is to tank up in early hours before 5:00 AM.

• Like 2

I had a following conversion with my colleague.
4.jpg

Him: I got a full tank of bad fuel.
Me: What is the issue?
Him: Pick is down and engine sound increased.

Me: Any jerking, smoke?
Him: Nope, only less pickup.
Me: Frankly speaking from the past 10 years, I was never able to distinguish the difference between fuel stations.
Him: You will understand, observe closely.
Me: I tried BP, HP, shell and Indian Oil, all performed same for me.

Him: Are you able to understand the difference between normal and Power petrol?
Me: No, I tried power petrol, felt it is not worth the money.

Him: You don't concentrate on your car while driving.
Me: 

Frankly speaking, I never understood the difference between fuel qualities.

What is your opinion guys?

I generally don't prefer power/speed petrol..
But once got to fill speed petrol at Somajiguda HP STATION.
Observed one kmpl extra mileage on my harley (on an avg) dunno if it was for the driving conditions or the fuel played its role. Will check once again on a highway and update
  • Like 3

As per the present urban circumstances in the country, I think all cars are designed just to work on regular fuel and there will no benefits taken of the so called premium fuels unless our credit card is giving us a 15% rebate on every rupee spent. xD As per my knowledge, only cars or bikes that are designed for a certain purpose say racing can deserve the premium fuel as they have a higher octane number which helps in resistance to detonation such as rattling or getting knocked down... 

So, a normal unleaded good fuel which not necessarily have to be a premium one serves well for our cars. :)

• Like 2

Hey guys, I have heard from a lot of people that Reliance and the Essar fuel stand on a better hand to give the vehicle a better mileage and a smoother run. Is that so? will any additives be added to the fuel for this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramuc said:

Reliance and the Essar fuel stand on a better hand to give the vehicle a better mileage

I'm not sure about Essar, but Reliance is catching up now.
Their fuel stations are neat and have good washrooms.
Lately, I am seeing few advertisements, stating lesser fuel cost than market price.

• Like 3

Even I was surprised at the fact that people saying Reliance was giving more mileage. But, From my experience, I felt considerate increase of mileage on my bike with Reliance petrol. I haven't noticed any performance difference though. Or is it because Reliance stations have more accurate meters is what I felt

• Like 2

This is something I learned. Always fuel up at COCO stores only.

From my experience Shell~IndianOil > HP > BP

Shell fuel is the best (which I used to get in Bangalore but not in Hyderabad anymore). However, in India Shell purchases fuel from Indian Oil and sells it (with 1rs more premium).

I wouldn't fuel up anywhere else unless it's emergency. Even in those cases, I top up with 10-15Ltrs so that I can reach COCO station.

Rapid and Vento has around 60L fuel tank capacity so usually I can do trips around 800-1000kms without worrying about where to fill.

• Like 4

Shell in nanakaramguda did some fraud, they installed some remote control, which will control the fuel during a full tank.

It came in news, later it was removed completely.

COCO stores are any day better than private pumps.

• Like 2

Best fuel station in Hyderabad is Civil Supplies Petrol Pump (HP). This is the government run petrol pump and you can expect good quality fuel.

Timings:8.30 am to 8.30 pm (Sunday holiday)

Place: Central Secretariat, Khairatabad.

https://goo.gl/maps/imeghzg6ixw

Note: Their will be Que at this place. Be prepared and wait for your turn.

• Like 2

Bumping this thread.

Can anyone tell me best fuel station for Petrol and which variant of Petrol fuel is suggested?

I am looking for Octane 97 fuel however I can't find in Hyderabad from Internet so far.

Speed 97 seems to be available in all metro cities including Hyderabad. Couldn't find where? :(

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nitin88 said:

Speed 97 seems to be available in all metro cities including Hyderabad. Couldn't find where? :(

Speed 97 is available in Manikonda.

Sharing the Google maps link:

Bharath Petroleum
Old Mumbai Hwy, Chitrapuri Colony, Manikonda, Hyderabad, Telangana 500008

https://goo.gl/maps/N1Zj5gNCwVD2

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ranger
      A quick drive to Hidden Castle.
      Place is located around 100 kilometers from Hyderabad.

Road condition:
      4-lane with very few diversions. Once you hit the highway, You will reach the destination in an hour.

Food options on highway:
      Enroute you can find Haritha food court.

• By KSK
      Intro Rant:

Summers are always tricky. Most people don't prefer to venture out on a trip in summer, for obvious reasons. So, when I bounced an idea off a trip to Warangal this summer, everyone went nuts. They even ridiculed that I'm not in my senses. But I did not want to drop the idea just because someone feels it to be stupid. I needed a break from my monotonous work life, so I was adamant. I know my wife also wouldn't agree; even if she does, she doesn't come considering the weather, but I have to do the customary - inform. My son's response, quick as a wink, was "Let's do it". Wonderful kid. It took some collective effort by me and my son to get the go-ahead from the home minister. Phew!

Plan and Preparation:

Being a Kakatiya University graduate myself, I regret not exploring enough of Warangal (capital of Kakatiya Dynasty) for long, which is known for its rich history and heritage. Though it is well within 150 km distance from my hometown and also from Hyderabad, I did not specifically travel to see some of its historical places. So, it's that time again - One-day trip!

There was this understanding with my wife and me that any impromptu trip needs to be done and dusted same day. If it's feasible and possible then she and our daughter would also join. Otherwise, my only soul companion is my son on any given day. He can only match and endure my crazy schedule. But being peak summer, my wife was skeptical and worried about excessively hot weather. Only after explaining and reassuring about all necessary precautions taken, we were given the nod. I feel there is nothing like "perfect" time to travel. There is only convenient time. The more the amount of convenience the better. That's it. Peak season travel can bring expensive price tags, overcrowded tours, accommodation, parking and food problems etc. So sometimes off-season travelling could bring in some benefits. One such benefit is leisurely exploring the place in its entirety without hassle. In the end, it proved to be a wise decision as we could spend some quality time exploring the places (especially Laknavaram which is crowded during peak season).

Once the date (April 15th) was decided, it was only up to us on how many places we can cover in a day. We finalized 6 places. I've gone through Google maps for route and order of visit.

The Route:

Hyderabad -> Bhuvanagiri -> Yadadri -> Kazipet -> Warangal. 

This is the only route everyone takes from Hyderabad, but little did we know what was in store for us. The four-lane road is under construction from Yadadri (Yadagirigutta) to Warangal, and it is a 99-km section of National Highway–163 in Telangana. Lots of patches, diversions and traffic was allowed only on one side. It was a nightmare to drive with heavy oncoming truck traffic especially at night. It took nearly 4 hours to cover 145 odd KMs for return journey, excluding dinner time.

The Journey:

Below was the order of places we wanted to visit:

Bhadrakali Temple Warangal Fort Thousand-Pillar Temple Ramappa Temple Laknavaram Lake Pakhal Lake  
      Trip Details:

Total distance covered:  539 KM
      Total duration of the trip:  17 hours

Road Conditions:

NH163 - Yadadri to Warangal:  Quite a few diversions, patchy roads, potholes, and heavy truck traffic (at night). Other connecting roads are good to okay. If travelling to Pakhal lake from Laknavaram then do not blindly follow Google maps. It'll take you through some thandas.  We drove almost 6 KM through a thanda and got lost.  Just take left at Mallampalli and follow NH365 until Narsampet (Ambedkar statue), and then take left and follow Pakhal road till the lake.  
      Food Options:

Limited food options everywhere we visited except Warangal. At Laknavaram, food options available like lunch, but depends on the crowd. Better to carry home-made food to other places.  

Parking Facility:

Limited or no proper parking facilities at all places I visited. It'll be chaos at Laknavaram in peak season unless there is an alternative.  

• By sreeni
      Dear ALL,
      I am planning to travel to tirupati from Hyderabad by in a automatic car.
      Don't want to take bad roads. Can anyone please suggest the best route?
    • By travel.rtc
      This trip happened  during Novemeber 1st week 2018 and November first being our 9th Marriage Anniversary - we wanted to celebrate it in Mysore hence drived down to Mysore and to Ooty .

Started 10:00P:M from Hyderabad and highway was little busy with all RTC and Private Buses towards Bangalore and different parts of Rayalaseema.....we stopped at Kurnool Toll Tax and then started again but started being on a working day after tiring office work has shown the tiredness and me being only driver for the entire trip took good breaks ...we stopped between Kurnool and Anantapur near some petrol bunk and after Anantapur in the early morning to take some power naps ....Reached Bangalore Outskirts by 7:30 ..

The Morning Mystic view of Nandi Hills and surroundings was awesome and Bangalore Highway is very very super road except few speed breakers else so much fun to drive straight road.
      -- We Stopped at Hotel Nandi Upachar : https://goo.gl/maps/LwP1NeFtZoG2 
      Hotel was very very Decent and Has Nice Rest Rooms and ample parking place  - had quick refresh and Nice break Fast and there was Some Minister Visiting the Hotel and traffic was halted ...we had to further wait for 30 more minutes and started at 9:30 A:M and it took us some time to cross Bangalore and Hit Mysore Highway - as usual Bangalore traffic took a toll on us and Mysore highway was little busy.

We Stopped at Kamath  for quick Lunch and then Started for Mysore .
      I have a friend who works in Travel agency in Bangalore , he generally takes care of hotel bookings or cab bookings if needed whenever we are around  he has booked a room for us in Mysore  at Hotel Vyshak Residency - Hotel was good and has Hot water Supply all the day  - This )hot water)  is one of the must for the Hotels around that place in Winters 

-- Next Day Early Morning we went for Chamundi Temple  - Chamundeshwari Devi -One of the ShaktiPeeta ,We had good Darshan and had some prasadam at their kitchen.

While returning, at the Parking Lot My mother overheard some one saying Ooty from Here is 160 kms - She immediatley said to me its 160 kms which means like Hyderabad - Nizamabad [Nizamabad being my Native]
      She asked me ,Shall we go to Ooty too.
      Who can deny an drive down to Ooty and I said immediately OK and haven't said anything about Road -,she was not aware of Ghat road and being traveled  on Butter smooth Roads from Hyderabad till Mysore she expected it to be same straight roads....but later she was scared to the max after Gudalur when it was pitch dark and raining and Ghat Road Started

We had a quick visit to Shri Ganapathi Sachidanda Ashram and started for Ooty at 2:30 P:M  - if any one has this in bucket list when they visit Mysore and wants decent stay they can ask for room in Ashram campus and it is pretty less compared to outside while returning  to Hyderabad we have to stay in Mysore as it was night when we returned to Mysore from Ooty and we asked an room for accommodation as  it falls left while entering Mysore and they gave us a Big room was charged 500 Rs - all facilities were provided indeed 

Took little while to cross Mysore , later we had took some time to find an ATM to get cash and has to look for ATMs in NanjanGud , the Route taken was Via :
      NanjanGud  - > Gundlupete ->Bandipur -> Gudalur -> Ooty

---- Took Right turn after GundluPete  and went 11+ kms to visit Gopalaswamy Betta ....But now cars are not allowed to be driven till the temple and one must Take Karnataka Tourism Buses ...and those will be plied till 4:000 P:M By the time we went there its was 4:00 and we dont has an Option and it started getting dark  and we started back , returned to Gundlupete and reached Bandipur
      Same friend of mine booked a Room for us in  3 Star Hotel - Hotel Preethi Classic http://www.hotelpreethiclassic.com   which was closer to city center and had quick tour of Tea Factory , Botanical gardens did shopping at Tibet Market - Finding Good food in Ooty is little tough and we had our breakFast at A2B and its pretty decent and good .

Return Journey was Simple - Stopping here and there for few clicks and my car being Wagon R and people cautioned about clutch issues generally occur in that route and asked me to take some breaks and give some time for car and then start ...slowly reached Gudalur and it took sweet 4 hrs including photo breaks and tea breaks , Reached Mysore by 8:00 P:M  ,me being no mood to drive  wanted a break and i thought of starting next day early morning , and went to Ganapathi Sachithananda Aashram  -

They allotted a room  , we went to near by restaurant and had dinner - Next Day Morning after a good nap and fresh-up started at 5:30 A:M to Bangaore- Hyderabad , Had Break fast at A2B Food Court after Mysore on Bangalore Highway [Excellent and Neat rest Rooms] 
      Crossed Bangalore in midst of heavy traffic and being Monday it was very very tedious to cross Bangalore - Had stop after Bangalore at Shell Bunk and topped up the fuel ,they have checked the car and i took their engine oil and they did the oil change in quick time and started for Hyderabad . Bangalore Highway is one of the best roads i have driven and being day time we can find less traffic on Roads and one can certainly get bored too ...went into Anantapur town in search of a good mess for Lunch but traffic made to change our plans and we stopped at Dhaba some where in between Anantapur and Kurnool  highway .

After having Some Rotis started for Hyderabad which was Straight Road with speed breakers here and there 
      \

\

• Gandikota meetup on January 26 and 27th