India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Trying to paraphrase Katrina Kaif's dialogue from 'Zindagi Milegi Na Dobara'........Driving is like meditation for me.....:P:P:P

Done with the cheezy bollywood dialogue reference for my first post, I must say I am extremely thrilled to have found a bunch of like minded folks in the 'India-Drive' Team. Looks like an awesome space to share your travel stories and road trip experiences. Some of the pics in the posts here are simply breathtaking. Kudos guys!!

Never knew there were so many places in and around “mana†Hyderabad that one can simply drive down to during the weekends. Now that I know where I can get great suggestions, I am sure my weekends will be way more fun than usual.

For my first post, I am going to share my most recent travelogue....its almost a month old. But, better late than never!!

P.S.: Not a great writer....so excuse me if anyone finds the language crude..:);) Also, a budding photographer...YES!!! I am one of those who thought buying an SLR would make me a PRO at it...But Hey!! I am trying to get better at it....I have tried to share my experience in as much detail as possible. Please feel free to suggest additions that I can make to my future posts (there will be a lot of them..)

Planning:

The month of September was coming to an end, and we all know what happens when some one says October 2nd - Gandhi Jayanthi!!...With all due respect to the "Father of the Nation" people now consider it just a public holiday. Some people stock up their bars before hand and some plan a quiet holiday with the folks at home.

So, I heard from one of our common friends that a bunch of guys from the India Drive team were planning a weekend getaway to Hampi. Interestingly, I was told that another group from India Drive was also driving down to the same place from Bangalore. Always, on the lookout for a great drive and meeting new people, I managed to join the folks at Hyderabad and decided to take this trip.

HAMPI, popular as a hitch hiker's dream destination, is famous for the ancient architecture and the innumerable ruins. Typical tropical climate and hot weather in the area makes the monsoons the best time to visit HAMPI. A visit to such historic places make you wonder how vastly rich and incredible our glorious nation once was. If only we all were fortunate enough to have lived in the Golden age.

Mind you, HAMPI still is a very beautiful place and connoisseurs of fine architecture will surely love it but you will be forced to think as to how much more beautiful and majestic it would have been in its prime.

Enough of the build up....I will get down to business now...  ;)

image_1771.jpg

When: October 2 - October 4 2015

Drive: Volkswagen Polo

Fuel: Diesel

Distance: Approx. 350 kms (One way)

Travel time: 7 hours including breaks

Mileage: Avg. 15 Kmpl

Accommodation: Hotel Rock Regency, Hosepet.

Price: 1850/- INR per night (A/C Deluxe room)

Routes:

There are a couple of other routes which one can take to reach Hampi. One of them keeps you on the NH7 much longer and takes you to Hampi via Kurnool, Guntakal and Ballari in that order. Still, I would suggest the Raichur road as the best one in spite of the bad batches as it saves you considerable time and also because it seems to a busy route with a lots of greenery around you on your way.

Route - 1: Hyderabad - Shamshabad - Mahbubnagar - Makthal - Deosugur - Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangavathi - Hampi

Route - 2: Hyderabad - Shamshabad - Jadcherla - Kurnool - Gooty - Guntakal - Ballari - Hospeta - Hampi

Route Taken:

Hyderabad - Shamshabad - Mahbubnagar - Makthal - Deosugur - Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangavathi - Hampi

Places to Visit:

1) Vittala Temple Complex

2) Underground Shiva Temple

3) Virupaksha Temple

4) Anegundi on the Tungabadra river

5) Hampi Bazar

6) Hemakunta group of temples

7) Many other ruins scattered around.

• Like 6

The drive down to HAMPI from Hyderabad was a relatively pleasant one. I caught up with the 'India-Drive' folks at 5:00 A.M. on the 2nd of October near Gachibowli. After a quick introduction and a cuppa, we were storming past the early morning traffic on the Nehru ORR and then onto the Bangalore Highway.

For people who haven't experienced it yet, the part of the NH7 connecting Hyderabad and Bangalore is an absolute driver's paradise. A four lane road so smooth, its like riding a cloud.. Unfortunately, we had to get off this route a little distance after Jadcherla and that is where our bliss ended.

We stopped by at a nice lil tiffin centre in Raichur for a quick bite. More of a feast, rather... The road from Mahbubnagar to Sindhanur is pretty ok with a few uneven surfaces and potholes springing up on your way from time to time. We still managed an average speed of over 80kmph. Once you reach Sindhanur, the road spreads out again into a delightful four way right up to Hampi. I am assuming its a newly laid road and I seriously hope it stays the same for the foreseeable future. I am a bit sketchy on the exact names of all the towns and villages we crossed as it has been over a month since the trip, but I have outlined the major towns and villages we crossed on our route.

My Polo poses by the Narihalla riverside in Sandur

image_1716.jpg

Devotees at this temple are strictly prohibited from entering without proper diving equipment...:D:)

image_1719.jpg

Virupaksha Temple

image_1715.jpg

image_1718.jpg

The Elephant GOD's messenger blesses you with prosperity....and does not ask for anything in return....

image_1717.jpg

image_1722.jpg

These paintings on the temple ceiling explain the whole Ramayana

image_1720.jpg

Ferry boats to take us all to the Monkey Temple

image_1721.jpg

When you find our dear friend NANDI calmly settled at one place and staring at someone in front of him.......

image_1723.jpg

......you should know that Lord Shiva is around...:)

image_1724.jpg

image_1715.jpg

• Like 3

We then walked to sight the Hemakunta group of temples on the hill

image_1731.jpg

Kadalekalu Ganesha temple has a gaint statue of Lord Ganesha which was carved out of a huge boulder on the Hemakunta hill.

image_1726.jpg

A view from a hill top.....not the sets for Bahubali 2....:D

image_1727.jpg

Seeing territories clearly marked....we stayed at a distance and observed....

image_1728.jpg

image_1729.jpg

image_1730.jpg

image_1736.jpg

image_1732.jpg

image_1733.jpg

This hill has some beautifully carved Gopurams and Mantapas scattered all around

image_1735.jpg

image_1734.jpg

image_1741.jpg

image_1737.jpg

We found a lot of open mantapas with yali columns scattered on the Hemakunta hill

image_1738.jpg

image_1739.jpg

The road which drives you to various ruins around Hampi

image_1740.jpg

• Like 5

Ancient market place in the Hampi Village

image_1743.jpg

Krishna Temple

image_1744.jpg

image_1742.jpg

We managed to get on top of the roof of the Krishna temple for a good view and some cool breeze...until...we were shooed away by the security...

image_1747.jpg

image_1754.jpg

image_1748.jpg

image_1745.jpg

Feeling like Bhallala Deva from Bahubali...:mad:

image_1746.jpg

The RED Swift....or like my friends from INDIA Drive called it..."The Red Pearl" which had joined us from Bengaluru....

image_1749.jpg

image_1750.jpg

Hampi bazaar along side the road to Virupaksha temple stretches upto 1 km with rows of shops showcasing the artifacts of the place.

image_1751.jpg

Ugranarasimha Temple is a huge monolithic about 6.7m high. All the arms of this Vishnu Dashavtar were broken now.

image_1755.jpg

Badavilinga Temple

image_1752.jpg

image_1753.jpg

image_1742.jpg

• Like 4

Gateway to the 'Underground shiva temple'

image_1760.jpg

Entrance to the temple which is submerged most times in the year.........

image_1758.jpg

With small fishes near our feet and bats near our heads....we felt like we were entering the Bat Cave...:)

image_1759.jpg

Lord Shiva...trying to go unnoticed in the dark....but our fones had LED torches....:D

image_1757.jpg

Gateway to the 'Hazararama temple'

image_1765.jpg

image_1764.jpg

image_1767.jpg

The interiors of the temple has beautifully carved stone pillars which explains the history of the place

image_1766.jpg

A la "The Brothers of Destruction"...;)

image_1771.jpg

...playing the Tourist Guide....

image_1770.jpg

The Lotus Mahal.....

image_1768.jpg

image_1769.jpg

Watch towers are seen common in the compound

image_1774.jpg

Elephants Stable at the sacred center of Vijayanagara

image_1773.jpg

Each of the 11 elephant pens has a uniquely designed roof . It as well has the living quarters for the elephant riders

image_1775.jpg

Queen's Bath

image_1776.jpg

• Like 5

'Mahanavami Dibba' is one of the most important ceremonial structures which rises to a height of 8 meters

image_1780.jpg

The customary group pic.....and I am always the crazy faced one....:P

image_1779.jpg

image_1778.jpg

This ruin was once a village which had ample raw material for huge massifs of rock sculpted to produce a unique architecture of the numerous temples and shrines scattered around

image_1781.jpg

This place 'Pushkarani' also called the 'Stepped bath' is one ornate tank in Hampi.....looks even more stunning when empty..

image_1784.jpg

Talarighatta gate welcomes you to the Vittala temple which has the iconic 'Stone Chariot'

image_1782.jpg

A mandatory one kilometer hike from the parking to the Vittala temple....

image_1787.jpg

....or you can also chose to ride the bus or the electric cart.........

image_1786.jpg

Ruins of a 'Lake Temple'

image_1790.jpg

image_1788.jpg

As the epicenter of Hampi's attractions, Vittala Temple is the most extravagant architectural showpiece of Hampi

image_1785.jpg

image_1789.jpg

The major feature in the complex is a chariot of granite whose stone wheels lifted off from the ground are actually capable of revolving around their axles

image_1791.jpg

Perspective view of the iconic 'Stone Chariot'

image_1795.jpg

Vittala temple despite its ruined state represents the highest achievement of the Vijayanagara art.

image_1793.jpg

We managed to get a couple of decent rooms in the Rock Regency Hotel near Hospet as the ones in Hampi were either unavailable or a bit over priced for our budget. But accommodation in Hospet is also not a bad idea as the distance between Hampi and Hospet is just over 30km and can be covered in like half an hour.

Our stay for the trip.. 'Hotel Rock Regency'

image_1792.jpg

View of the Tungabadra dam from the hill top......

image_1794.jpg

The return journey was also a pleasant affair. Back on the same route that we had taken earlier, I wished I could have stayed back a little longer amidst the quite, serene surroundings of HAMPI to escape the Monday morning blues. But the weekend was coming to an end and I had to get back. We were caught up in some severely heavy showers near Raichur on our way back. It did not hamper our schedule in anyway as the showers lasted for a brief period only.Hope this post proves helpful to fellow travelers and road trip enthusiasts.

A special mention to the 'India-Drive' folks.....Keep this forum alive and kicking guys....its a great initiative.

• Like 8

Planning to do Hampi from past 3 years but it has never been finalised.

Now your picture tell me it is worth a drive.

Log is very informative for the first timers.

• Like 4

Great write-up and amazing photolog. You just put it the way we had done it. Looking forward for another drive together this December :)

• Like 3

Great narration ,I like the way you started up the write up with an exiting Bollywood dialogue and the way you have given a story about the drive .

By the way the pics are breathtaking ..Kudos ......:D

Edited by sagar
  • Like 3

Fantastic photography and excellent description Kumsi. Nice post pal. I been to Hampi recently and we took Route 2 and the road condition near ballari was very disturbing and the weather in Hampi gave us free tan for 5 years:p. But the place was amazing and worth visiting though.

• Like 3

Thanks guys......a lot of holidays coming up.....Must take full advantage and have some fun again...;);)

• Like 3

Kumsi said:
Thanks guys......a lot of holidays coming up.....Must take full advantage and have some fun again...;);)
Driving is like meditation for me

Many people find it stressful but for us it is other way around. :cool:

• Like 2

gowtham said:

Many people find it stressful but for us it is other way around.

Cannot agree more with you on that bro.....There are very few things that come close to the "pleasure" you get :idea: from a drive in a good car on an awesome road...

• Like 2

etoor said:
Whats vivid triplog with stunning captures mate.

Thanks buddy. I am planning a trip towards the end of this month....Not finalized the itinerary yet. hope to come up with some even more exciting stuff.

• Like 2

It's been quite a while since I visited Hampi... the roads leading to the place were in terrible state when I visited.. May be the tourism department can look into it to make it more accessible..

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By travel.rtc
      *** Even Though this Travel is done back in march ,  by Sleeper Bus and Flight - I think its eligible to get into this Section as I would post pictures  of Road and Few Places of interest. ***

Well The Most Asked Question either in ID whatsApp or Facebook  - Which Route is Best from Hyderabad to Goa and Back.
       -- Teaser Pic

This was done in March and my friend  had to attend an Meeting in Goa - He booked ticket for me But I have  missed out the flight from Hyderabad became blessing in disguise .
       I have booked  VRL travels Sleeper coach Bus to reach Goa the Next day where I could enjoy the journey and being a road enthusiast I preferred sitting in Cabin and Enjoy instead of the sleeper Berth - somehow i felt the sleeper berth cramp and bumpy 
      Bus was scheduled at 19:00 hrs Departure and boarding was at Lakdikapul , where a mini bus took all of us to Aaramgarh , Reached Aaramgarh by 19:00 , but had to wait about half-an hour for the Bus to arrive   .
                      Bus was almost Full and it is due to they have adjusted passengers who booked AC  Seater bus into here   - Where as I have paid 1700+ for sleeper Bus and people who booked 800Rs Ticket were fortunate enough to get into sleeper Bus
      - Picked up a passenger in between , near Shamshabad and slowly Bus picked up and reached a Dhaba Near Jadcherla  for Dinner Break - I had food packed from home and as per fellow passengers food was pathetic and hotel was just OK.
      -- Bu Stared from Jadcherla and took Mahabubnagar road  and below route was taken
        MahabubNagar - Raichur - Madgal - BagalKot- Belgaum - ChorlaGhat - Goa
      -- Below was the Road condition
      Hyderabad - MahabubNagar : Road was Good
      MahabubNagar - Raichur : Road works were on then and little diversions too
      Raichur - Madgal - Bagalkot : Its double road and we have to get down whenever an bigger vehicle or 4 wheeler came from opposite end  and Needless to say while in Karnataka Expect many speed breakers too ..
      Bagalkot - Belgaum : Road was good .. Reached early in the Morning - Hence it was easy to cross Belgaum

Belgaum to Start of the Ghat Road - it was double road and being early morning there was some truck traffic and also travel buses reaching Belgaum , Many people were doing walking /jogging by the side of the road and seen some people doing Yoga too  
      Needs to be careful while driving at the stretch
      --- Once reaching the start of the Ghat Bus has stopped at decent Hotel for Bio Break and it was around 6:00 A:M in the Morning.
      It took around 3 hours to reach Goa [Private Buses Parking Yard] as road was through Ghats  , Some rural villages and little delay at check posts - Being Morning time encountered little traffic reaching Goa ]

Stayed a Hotel Govia Homes Near Candolim Beach - Hotel was home stay kind and had good swimming pool - Able to tour only Candolim and Baga Beaches and a guided tour with mini bus provided 
       All beaches that i have toured were well maintained maximum care is taken to avoid plastic - even though boozing is not allowed at sea shore near by Beaches but i could see few people doing that 

Goa is Pretty costly and Bargain is the funda works here - never hesitate to bargain if you are shopping in the shops road by and Near beaches too
      Food is pathetic and costly especially people from Telangana and Andhra would find food not so good , me being vegetarian has less options to chose and my friends who took non veg said its pathetic and not for spice lovers ..I have seen few people from TS and AP getting Induction stoves and cooking as they found food very very waste in taste .

-- I think there is very much to explore in Goa Beyond Beaches and Booze , something that always pulls back to the place may be its weather , people  or its picturesque locations and Beautiful Beaches   - that might be the reason people  always wants to make it despite of the hard roads and other reasons like cost and stay options - There is always something more left to explore in Goa as per the conversations with people and foreigners who were visiting for nth time who are always finding a new place and Goa wears  different colors accordingly to the different seasons

• By ADITYAAA
      Here's my query regarding the road trip from Hyderabad to Goa in a car.
      I need suggestions of the routes and any stop by places or spots to visit.  
      Helpfully with food places to have breakfast, lunch and dinner ( which probably may be in Goa)  and since this will be in July 2019
      I need some latest suggestions please.

TIA
    • By RoyallyAditya
      Need route information from Hyderabad to Kanyakumari.
      Planning to  include Arunachalam, Pondicherry, Rameshwarm,Madhurai. etc

Please share your inputs and route plans. 
    • By Musafir
      We recently had a trip from Hyderabad to Bidar. Me with my wife and two other friends started at morning 6  o'clock and returned to Hyderabad by 6:45 pm. 

Trip Details:
      Date: 29 June 2019
      Places Visited: Bidar Fort, Rangeen Mahal, Guru Nanak Jhira Sahib
      Route: Madhapur - Chanda Nagar - Zaheerabad - Bidar Fort
      Distance Covered: 266.4 km

There was plan to visit Bidar along with Gulberga but we canceled Gulberga as we wanted to have a one day trip without hassle. Its just start of monsoon so weather was cool and while returning it rained little. So overall it was a nice trip. Attaching few pictures taken.

Inner Ring Road, Bidar

Bidar Fort and Rangeen Mahal

Gurudwara Nanak Jhira
      Bahamani Tombs

Hazrath Multani Baba Dargah

Breakfast: At Hyderabad Delight Restaurant. They have all south indian items like idli, dosa, puri. Food was tasty and good. Irani tea was awesome. Car parking is available. 

Lunch: At Royal Anmol Deluxe Family Restaurant. We had Dum Biryani and Chicken Drumstick. Good ambiance and food quantity but taste was average. There is a small car parking but you have to park on road side if you are travelling on weekends.

For info about upcoming trips follow us.
      instagram: musafir_ds

Hope you have liked our topic.
      Thanks
      Musafir
  • Our picks