India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

Hyderabad to Vijayawada road trip guide   

2 members have voted

1. 1. Food option between Hyderabad to Vijayawada

• Village Aharam : Malkapur
    • Highway 9 Restaurant : Nalgonda
    • Hotel Vivera : Nalgonda
    • Maa palle ruchulu : before suryapet
    • Hotel 7 : suryapet
    • Numerous hotel in Suryapet.(local options)
    • G-hotel : Suryapet
    • Once you cross Suryapet, you won't find any proper hotels, though you can find many road side dhabas.
  2. 2. Hyderabad to Vijayawada Toll details

• Toll gates : 4
    • Toll price : 295/-

I regularly commute on Hyderabad to Vijawayada highway, almost once in a month from the past 10 years.

Hyderabad to Vijayawada distance :275 kilometers

Year :2006 

• It is a single lane road, not enough to fit 3 vehicles at a time.
  • It used take me 7 hours to travel from Hyderabad to Vijayawada.
  • Blind curves.
  • Highest accident ever occurred in the country.
  • One of the busiest, mostly filled with trucks.
  • Worst road condition, filled with unlimited potholes.
  • Driving at night is a suicide.(zero visibility with those high beams)
  • Some overtakes used to take me at least 15 minutes, Imagine 10 trucks trailing each other with no space between them, on a single lane!
  • No proper hotels and washroom
  • Worst fuel quality
  • But I used to enjoy the drive, it is challenging and fun.

Year :2017(after a decade)

• Now it has a 4-lane road, truck lay by lanes, emergency lanes and bridges across villages.
  • It is taking me 4 hours from Hyderabad to Vijayawada. I am saving 3 hours. :o
  • Many good hotels available, no issues with washrooms.
  • Toll road, with road assistance and standby ambulance for safety.
  • Continues patrol across the highway, last year a huge industrial truck was stuck on highway while taking u-turn. Patrol guys arrived within 15 minutes and took the situation under control.

Hotels between Hyderabad to Vijayawada

1. Village Aharam :  Malkapur 

First decent hotel on the highway

2. Highway 9 Restaurant : Nalgonda

Good for break fast

3. Hotel Vivera : Nalgonda

Recomended, If you are planning to diver towards Nalgonda.

4. Maa palle ruchulu : before suryapet

Village style hotel, don't expect luxury.

5. Hotel 7 : suryapet

Best in quality, very good washrooms. Recommended for families.

6. Numerous hotel in Suryapet.

You get all types verities over here.

7. G-hotel : Suryapet

8.Once you cross Suryapet, you won't find any proper hotels, though you can find many road side dhabas.

Please correct If i miss anything.

Fuel stations 
You can find then in every 20 kilometers radius.

Tolls
It is a complete toll road, elevated 4-lane, on an average you pay around 1 rupee per kilometre, so it should be under 250/-

• Like 7

Excellent Report

Hotels:

Hotel 7 is my favourite.

Coffee day:

Now a days I can see many coffee day outlets on the highway.

Tolls:

Fast-Tag is available between Hyderabad to Vijayawada. If you don't want to wait in those long ques.

Speed limit:

Official speed limit of the highway is 80 kilometers per hour. 

100 km/hr could have been more realistic.

New speed limiters around Nalgonda. WhatsApp forward.

2fc70712e4b80b50f3329f8b172a8ae5.jpg

Heavy fog during winter.

ccb7a3a8a3535026e7725088c76c8c07.jpg

Some times, visibility is so poor.

7efebe802ca42bf62090bdd85500cf3c.jpg

My recent experience with speed guns around Suryapet.

Idiots deployed two interceptors near 40km/hr boards.

Almost every vehicle is doing above 40km/hr.( deserted stretch)

According to them highway speed limit is 80km/hr and near u-turns and small villages it is 40km/hr

I felt it is waste arguing with them, paid 200/- and left.

• Like 5

Nice report guys.

Don't forget about Sankranthi chaos.

It is worst at toll booths.
Cutting lanes and becoming impatient.
Tailgating at 100+ speeds, what not!!

On long weekends try to start as early as possible to avoid toll waiting.

It is going to be another Bangalore-mysure highway soon. Worst road manners and traffic.

• Like 4

Awesome report guys!

Even I commute from Hyderabad to Vijayawada twice a month. This journey is the biggest stress relief for me.

I too faced the similar situation with speed guns, I was just at 83 on a 80 limit belt and they stopped me because of over speeding. However, XUV & other Audi at 120+ were ignored (>:()

I personally feel the most dangerous part in the entire journey is Nandigama stretch where villagers show too much attitude towards vehicles passing on highway. It would be great if GMR can come up with a fly-over to avoid this village, but I think it is practically not possible.

• Like 9

Awesome report guys!

Even I commute from Hyderabad to Vijayawada twice a month. This journey is the biggest stress relief for me.

I too faced the similar situation with speed guns, I was just at 83 on a 80 limit belt and they stopped me because of over speeding. However, XUV & other Audi at 120+ were ignored ()

I personally feel the most dangerous part in the entire journey is Nandigama stretch where villagers show too much attitude towards vehicles passing on highway. It would be great if GMR can come up with a fly-over to avoid this village, but I think it is practically not possible.

Awesome report guys, I accept with the fact about nandigama, gets really dangerous when we enter onto a village from high speeding highway..
  • Like 4

I too faced the similar situation with speed guns, I was just at 83 on a 80 limit belt and they stopped me because of over speeding. However, XUV & other Audi at 120+ were ignored ()

90% of cars will be doing more than 100+

40km/hr zone is a disaster.

• Like 4

Very informative post!!
Hotel 7 is our breakfast stop every month while traveling to my hometown!!
Good quality food and apt service.

Roads are really good that we could reach Vijayawada in just 4hrs!!

Guys Please start off early especially during festival time!! You will reach 2hrs late if you are lazy enough to start early in the morning!!

• Like 5

On 2/4/2017 at 6:56 PM, shammy said:

Guys Please start off early especially during festival time!! You will reach 2hrs late if you are lazy enough to start early in the morning!!emoji12.png

Exactly, we need to start early to enjoy a traffic free pleasant drive.

I prefer fuelling up at HP petrol pump once we get down from ORR, there are few Reliance petrol pumps on the way, did anybody try them? Do they sell petrol(or only Diesel)? What is the quality of the fuel(I heard it is superior to normal pumps)? Any price difference?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, sai86 said:

Exactly, we need to start early to enjoy a traffic free pleasant drive.

I prefer fuelling up at HP petrol pump once we get down from ORR, there are few Reliance petrol pumps on the way, did anybody try them? Do they sell petrol(or only Diesel)? What is the quality of the fuel(I heard it is superior to normal pumps)? Any price difference?

Now-a-days I am using only reliance on Highways, they have both petrol and diesel, I don't have any issues with their fuel quality
Price is some times less/more than market price. Margin is under 2/-, it is worth the service.

They have best washroom. Most of the times, I travel with family(kids), I don't need to worry about washrooms.

Try it out next time, I think they are back in business. 

• Like 3

I used to love the old Vijayawada highway, it used to be single lane, drive was challenging. Now it is boring to drive.

Safety, drive time and hotels improved a lot. Never expect a 4-lane road can bring so much development. 

• Like 2

I have seen speed cameras as in pic shown on my recent trip. Realistic limit should have been 100kmph. Yet to see speed guns.

Another update on fuel, filled in for 60.66/ litre diesel in the last week of March in Reliance.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sbhamidi said:

Realistic limit should have been 100kmph.

100kmph makes sense. 
90% of cars are doing above 100, they make a quick buck.

I got caught twice, they are around Suryapet. I am doing around 110 km/hr in 80 km/hr zone. 
According to them 80kmph is the highest limit from Hyderabad to Vijayawada.
Fine amount is 400/-

• Like 4

100kmph makes sense. 
90% of cars are doing above 100, they make a quick buck.

I got caught twice, they are around Suryapet. I am doing around 110 km/hr in 80 km/hr zone. 
According to them 80kmph is the highest limit from Hyderabad to Vijayawada.
Fine amount is 400/-

Thanks this info is helpful. Gave challan?

Sent from my iPhone using India-Drive
  • Like 2

Guys new update.

Speed cameras are installed near all the toll booths between Hyderabad and Vijayawada.

I found around 6 cameras.

Speed limit is 80 km/hr.

There is a mobile court, so if you cross 80km/hr.

You need to pay 1500/-

They will type the car number online, it will fetch both car speed and picture.

It sucks to drive in 80km/hr

Sent from my iPhone using India-Drive

• Like 3

I recently went on that road and I'm sure I would have crossed the speed limits.

How do I check if I've got any speed tickets?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, sbhamidi said:

Does this mean they are tracking the distance and time to cover between tollbooths N levy this??

No they have installed these cameras near toll booths.
2fc70712e4b80b50f3329f8b172a8ae5.jpg

So if you cross the speed limit, your vehicle and speed details are logged (cloud) in with images.

They have mobile a court, they will stop your car and will punch your vehicle number to check the speed.
They have records of all your drives. Even if you did not get caught for the first time. You can be charged during your next drive.

20 minutes ago, vjeevan said:

How do I check if I've got any speed tickets?

Even I am not sure about it. Need to do some research about it. 

80 km/hr is too slow, 100 km/hr would have been good. 

• Like 3

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SK01
      Roadtrips... long drives... holiday to the hills driving our car, gives a high to all the drivers. Driving to the beaches or to the unexplored hills with our family or friends is an all-time favorite activity. Driving is fun, but a single error makes it a disaster.

All drivers know the feeling - a frightening realization behind the wheel of the car when a wave of drowsiness hits, that you may be too tired to go on. A blink of an eye is all it takes for one to end up trapped inside a toppled car or a badly mangled car in the opposite lane.

20% of the accidents on Indian Highways are caused by driver fatigue says a survey. It all happens in seconds, as said above, in a blink of an eye. Drowsiness is extremely dangerous.

Pushing yourself beyond the limits, just to make it on time or just to boast to your friends of your achievements of "non-stop 800kms drive" is the last thing you would want to do.  

You Can’t Afford to Drive on Through Fatigue

Fatigue is a serious concern for everyone on the road. Feeling sleepy makes a driver, less attentive, and affects the driver’s ability to make quick decisions. You need to be able to navigate, merge safely, respond to unpredictable drivers, accidents, potholes or even the sudden appearance of a cattle. 

Delayed reaction time can mean the difference between life and death – for you, or another person on the road. A tired mind also has more trouble concentrating, making it difficult to judge speed and distance. 

Entering a trance-like state while driving is a trait we notice quite often while driving on highways at a constant speed, at constant cabin temperature. This is known as Highway Hypnosis. Becoming attuned to your body and its need for rest and sleep will make you a safer driver.

Warning Signals that It’s Time to Get Off the Road

Driving requires your undivided attention. If you notice one or more of these signs, it is time to get off the wheel and rest.

Frequent yawning & fidgeting   
      Frequent lane changes without knowing  
      Tailgating  
      Erratic Braking  
      Inconsistent speed  
      Delayed reaction time  
      Missing on turns and signboards  
      Missing to check on ORVMs IRVMs  
      Missing to use indicators   
      Rolling down the window for fresh air  
      Blurred vision or frequent blinking  
      5 Tips to Combat Fatigue

1. Surveys show that a short nap can increase alertness and significantly lower the risk of driver fatigue. Take a short twenty-minute nap, preferably before you become too sleepy.

2. Avoid medications that may induce drowsiness. 

3. Eat a healthy and balanced meal at regular intervals. Lack of proper food leads to a drop in blood sugar levels which makes us drowsy. Also, heavy meals make us lazy and sluggish increasing the drowsiness. 

4. Coffee, smoking, turning up the volume on the radio and fresh air only work for short periods of time. Do not rely on them to keep you alert. (Personal experience, play those songs that give you a good feeling. Not too loud and not too much music. Play it at a medium volume, this will help you cruise at a constant speed making you feel attentive.) 

5. Stay hydrated and also keep switching between ‘recirculating’ and ‘fresh-air’ modes on the air-con. A change in temperature helps you stay more alert. (Personal experience, roll down the window and allow fresh air and those traffic sound to enter the cabin. Hearing those makes us attentive and lets us drive till we find a good tree to rest under.)

Above all, never forget to take naps at regular intervals. It's not only beneficial to you, but also to your car, its engine, and tires.  If you are really tired, never attempt to drive beyond the limits. It's your maturity and safe driving habits that ultimately call you a good driver, not your "800kms non-stop achievements". 
    • By Santa86
      Trip Query: Hyderabad to Kolkata Road Trip (Hyd - Vizag - Bhubaneswar - Kolkata) , travelling on 21-Dec-19 Accommodation recommendations: Looking for accommodation in Vizag and BBSR (night halts). Highway food joint recommendations: Any suggestions on lunch point between the following: Hyderabad to Vishakhapatnam Vizag to Bhubaneswar Bhubaneswar to Kolkata No. of days: 2 nights and 3 days (onward) Vehicle : Duster RXS 85PS Places to visit: Planning to cover the below places on the way: Chilka Lake (onward) Dhabaligiri (onward) Konark Temple. (return)
    • By LoneRanger
      Precursor to the Trip: 
      Mr.Daddy calls me up on Oct 2nd in the evening. 

Daddy : I had to work today , who the hell works on Gandhi jayanthi? They don't even sell Liquor today. 
      Me : Chill Macha , we chose this job. And have to take everything it throws at us. 
      Daddy: I need some relaxation , plan something for the weekend. 
      Me : Hmm, lets go to Bhuvanagiri Fort, I have been meaning to trek that fort since childhood. 
      Daddy: Done. 

The plan has been made , but could not be executed the Dussehra weekend, due to the obvious reasons. Our Wives would let us go on a trek on a festival day. And i totally forgot about it , till 12th When Mr.Daddy messages to ask me if i'm available to do the trek on 13th (Sunday). I said yes , and the trip was on. 

Hill Fort of Bhuvanagiri: 
      If you have ever have traveled to Warangal by road or by train you would not miss this small fort on top of the hill. I remember watching the hill for the first time as a kid, from a train window, on my way to Hyderabad. Since then i was always fascinated by this small fort and it was my long lasting desire to trek to the top of it.  

The fort is constructed in the 10th century A.D by Tribhuvanamalla Vikramaditya VI. That makes this fort atleast 1000 years old. In contrast Golconda fort is 400 years old. And Since it is built by Tribhuvanamalla , the fort is called Tribhuvanagiri , Which latter became Bhuvanagiri and with the Persian and Urdu influence of the local kings became Bhongir. The fort was built on a small egg shaped hill, and there were small steps cut into the rock to climb up to the fort. 

Drive To The Fort:
      I started at 8:30 A.M on Sunday morning , and started towards Mr.Daddy's home in Manikonda, Hyderabad. I picked him up and on the way we stopped at Organic hotel to have breakfast. After having quick breakfast we took the ORR to reach Warangal Highway.
      (Organic Hotel , where we had or break Fast) 

As there was no hurry , we mostly drove in the middle lane at 80KMPH max speed, The ORR charged us 140/- to get down at Warangal high way, And soon after that we had to pay another toll on the highway, We took a to and fro pass for 140/- and went on our way. The toll has dedicated lanes for fastag , and if you still don't have one Get one ASAP. 

As soon as you cross the toll gate and proceed further , you see something like this (Image is taken from Wiki) 
      With the help of google maps we reached the entry point of the fort. There are two gates to get into , one for regular tourists and another for rock climbing school in the premises. There is ample space to park 8-10 cars. We parked our car , proceeded to the shop next to the ticket counter bought ourselves a water bottle & moved to ticket counter to buy our tickets. Ticket cost for Adults is rs: 10/- per head.

The Rock has steps cut into it , which looks fairly a recent addition to the 1000 year old Hill Fort. We started our climb from this point. 

The weather forecast for Bhongir on that day was partially cloudy and with intermittent rains. But Sun god has different plans for us. It was hot and the rock reflected the heat. After a brief walk , we ended up at the first gateway to the fort. There was some shade and i sat there for a couple of minutes. 
      (The first gateway , where you will find some shade.) 

After the first rest stop , there is enough tree cover and it was a little cloudy , we reached the second Gateway in some time. 

The distance between the second and third Gateway is not much , but there is a increase in elevation. We soon reached the third gateway , and the the view looked like this after crossing the third gateway. 

From here there is no tree cover , and to my bad luck there is no cloud cover either.  From here ,  if you walked towards right from the path , you would find some ruins. This signifies that you have reached level 1. From here the path goes on to the top of the hill. We kept on walking and discussing on how ingeniously the architect of the fort has constructed multiple Dams to conserve rain water. 

(Level 1 ruins towards the left of the picture and Check Dams to conserve towards the right of the Picture) 

From here the walk way is very steep , one has to be careful. And this can be slippery during rains. 

(Steep Walk way , with stairs cut into the rock, Rails installed in the modern era for support, Another Check Dam towards right and Mr.Daddy gauging on how far we have to go)

After this i was completely exhausted , and stopped at every 5-10 minutes on the pretext of taking pictures 😛 ,  Approximately after an hour we started , we reached the top of the fort. 
      (Celebratory pic of climbing the hill, My smile will tell you how happy i was on the top, the cannon at the back might be a late addition to the fort , as they were developed only in 15th century) 

There are three structures at the top of the Hill , one ruined old fort , and two other government buildings , with Cellular tower on top of one. The other building was build on top adjacent to an old well. (The Pic of the fort). 

The views from the top of the hill are simply amazing. Google maps told us that we were 1000 meters above MSL. Below are a few pics of the views from the fort. 

(You can spot Bhongir Railway station , from where i first saw this magnificent Hill Fort. Also , at the bottom right , notice how Dams were constructed to save water.)

(Another pond , and the fort wall at a distance)

We explored the whole place for an hour , found a small entrance and a staircase, just out of curiosity i went in and started climbing the stairs , and Mr.Daddy followed me. 
      The stairs took us to the top of the fort. There is no higher point in Bhongir Than this.  

(The fort view from behind)

(Me after conquering the fort, instead of a sword i posed with an Umbrella, modern day weapon to fight the soldiers of the nature) 
      By 2 o clock we were hungry and decided to descend, as soon as we thought of of it , we could see dark clouds manifest out of no where and weather became cloudy and pleasant.  I wonder where these clouds were when i was climbing up the hill.   

We climbed down, and there were 6 other cars parked in the parking. We went to the shop next to ticket counter had another bottle of water. Went to a nearby restaurant in Bhongir and had our lunch. After and uneventful lunch , we started back to Hyderabad , and it started raining just as we were ready to leave Bhongir. 
      Tips for Trek to the Top : 
      Carry your own water one bottle per person. Carry an umbrella , Sun or Rain it will help you a lot.  Avoid Summers , It was tiring to climb in October Sun. Imagine April Sun beating down on you.   
      Suggest to go in groups, Half of the time i was engrossed in deep conversations with Mr.Daddy , and didn't feel the tiredness. 
      Wear shoes and avoid Slippers and Flip flops at all costs

PS: For those who are wondering , why i call him Daddy , You can find the explanation in my previous write up

• By Ranger
      Hi all,

This is the Pune-Bangalore road condition as on 14th Oct 2019.

This is a detailed explanation and a long post so kindly read it at your leisure.

A stretch of almost 870 kms from Pune.  Until Hubli you dont have to fall down under. It is a beautiful highway to drive on. Your patience is taken for a toss from Hubli. Your real journey starts now :p After Hubli, almost close to 150-200 kms, you have to deal with some rough patches of the road because a lot of construction activity is in progress. May be two years down the line it will be the best highway. After the trouble with all the rubble, here comes the best stretch of the highway which is the last two hundred kilometres where you feel you are in heaven. You can easily touch speeds upto 130-140 kmph with ease and it is a 6-Lane highway. In most parts of the highway until Kolhapur or may be little further you will find some shoddy white strips (refer video) which spread across hundred metres before you cross every village. These are nasty, so you may want to speed up a bit; instead of travelling at 40 or 60 kmph, travel at speeds of nearly 80-100 kmph so that you don't feel these jerks. However, be careful of two wheeler and pedestrians crossing the roads in these villages.  After Hubli, you may not find too many food options so carry lot of snacks with you. Especially, when you are travelling with kids ensure that you take decent quantity of food. However, here and there you might find small outlets which are just average. But if you are looking for some good options you will have to wait until the last 100 to 130 kilometres stretch towards Bangalore. Last but not the least, as far as possible, avoid driving in the night in this stretch from Hubli because in certain places you will not find diversion symbols near construction areas, you wont see shoulder line markings, lane markings in most of the places thus making it a difficult drive during nights. Both the driver and navigator have to be really careful to ensure that everyone is safe   
      by Praneeth Palakodeti
  • Our picks