India-Drive
  • Welcome!

Welcome to India-Drive, Road trips and travel group. Please register to join us.

SK01

Day Light Projector Fog Lamps or Yellow Bumper Lights

Question

Recently I got my Ford Freestyle headlights upgraded to bi-xenon projector lights for better visibility and safe driving. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/indiadrive/931263420545568/?comment_id=931280210543889&reply_comment_id=931293200542590&notif_id=1566809833764757&notif_t=group_comment_mention)

Though I’m very much satisfied with the output compared to the stock lights, there are two areas where I’m still not satisfied. 

1) Visibility in pitch dark areas & when the oncoming traffic is on headlights

2) Driving in harsh weather conditions such as rain and fog.

The solution given for the first and second point right from the seller, installer to fellow Freestyle users was to upgrade to iPH bi-projector fog lights of 4700k range which are surprisingly powerful than the existing projector headlights. Though initially I was convinced, now I’m sceptical over how the day light projectors would perform during harsh weather conditions. 

Last week on on my way to Vijayawada from Hyderabad after having a delicious lunch at Bharateeyam organic restaurant, paritala. There was a heavy rain fall during which I missed the visibility my stock yellow lights offered. Also during my visit to Maredumilli on Friday, there was a heavy rain and the visibility was low. I turned on my headlights so that the oncoming traffic could see my car but all my way I was very much sceptical on how useful are those white headlights during fog and rainy conditions and how visible are they. Thankfully the journey was safe and enjoyable and thanks to my yellow stock fog lamps which were really visible to the oncoming traffic compared to the white headlights. 

Now comes the question, what should I take? I have in my mind Hella Rallye 1000 bumper lights which satisfies the point 2 but I don’t know how useful are they in satisfying point 1. Also my question is, how effectively yellow and white lights will perform together if at all I take bumper lights or yellow projector fog lights? Request suggestions from experts that solves both my problems since this vehicle is for both city and long drives. My budget is between 7-8k and both the lights are coming in that budget. Any alternatives, please suggest here. TIA. 

Edited by SK01
  • Like 3

6 answers to this question

I would suggest you to try LED fog lamps from AliExpress. 
They are cheap and work well. One of friends swift has them. Performance is good. 

• Like 1

Good one @SK01. Congratulations. Please share a few pictures and details on the forum too.. so that non facebook users would be able to access through :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sagar said:

Good one @SK01. Congratulations. Please share a few pictures and details on the forum too.. so that non facebook users would be able to access through :) 

Shared this on the FB group too. What suggestion would you give @sagar? Which lights would you suggest me to go with? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RajG said:

I would suggest you to try LED fog lamps from AliExpress. 
They are cheap and work well. One of friends swift has them. Performance is good. 

Thanks for the suggestion @RajG. But what I heard from few of my friends in the WhatsApp is that Projectors and LEDs combination doesn’t go well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SK01 said:

WhatsApp is that Projectors and LEDs combination doesn’t go well. 

I am not sure about that combination. 

Then only option is to go with projectors in the fog lamps. 
Buy them from AliExpress, you can get the setup at the good pricing. 

Can you share some night pictures of your projectors? 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 11:49 AM, RajG said:

Can you share some night pictures of your projectors

Yeah sure will do that

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ranger
      Finally got a chance to fix my bumper scratches.

Two weeks back I had small bumper damage.
      Minor bumper crack Broken clips Deep scratches

Visited showroom:
      Replace rear bumper  Repaint rear bumper Need to order bumper Insurance claim charges Three days time (once the bumper is available)  
      From the past 15 years,
      I never gave my car outside the showroom.
      All the repaint jobs are done at showroom.

Last weekend, I decided to explore lower Tankbund options.

I contacted my friend who live around that area,
      He said most of them does the work well.

We picked a shop that my friend visits for bumper repairs. 

Quote given was 1200/-
      I was in shock :p (my aim was to get it done under 2.5k)
      Price was too tempting to leave,
      I gave a go ahead without any bargain.

Steps
      Reached paint booth at 10AM They remove the fuel cap Took it to paint shop  Got the color premixed They applied some Patti Some rubbing work done Removed tail lamp Fixed the broken bumper clamp Tail lamp fixed back  
      It was like a war zone, 5 members working on it.
      He spotted few scratches on front bumper Asked me another 300/- to fix :o I gave a go ahead Masked all the parts They sprayed 4 different types of paints At 11AM it is done and I out  
      Pros:
      Cheap Quick 100% colour matching Cons:
      Long term reliability Not so professional Ideal for only bumper damages Finishing is not so great, I can feel some rough edges.  
      Ideal place to fix scratches for a 5+ year old cars.
      For new cars it is always better to claim the insurance and fix it. (If you need professional quality)

Removed the fuel cap to get the correct paint

Applied some patti

Removed the tail lamp to fix the bumper clamps from inside (to avoid external screws)
      Rubbing is done.

Had few bumper scratches at the front corner,
      Shop owner asked for another 300/- bucks to fix it, since the paint will be left over.
      I gave a go ahead. 

They sprayed around 4-layers

Let the pint dry

Final output : Front bumper

Rear bumper

Once I get time,
      I will click pictures in the sunlight for the analysis. 
  • Our picks