Hyderabad to Kolkata
Shared by India-Drive member Dishari De
From a friend who recently Travelled to Kolkata from TS to be with his family due to urgency.. He drove non stop to kolkata.
He penned down few details who are planning to travel now..
For people trying to reach Kolkata from Hyderabad.
OK here is the summary.
please see how this can be pinned for everyone.
First things first:
1. This is ONLY for people who have their own arrangements for car.
2. Self-driven is the best as they were most helpful and asked lesser questions.
3. Exit pass from TS with supporting documents
4. Entry pass for WB with the same reason and supporting documents
5. Mention the reason which suits best and also you have maximum proofs of. Carry all of them
6. Try to carry hard copies of all proofs. They are not keeping anything with them, so 2-3 copies would do, but they are insisting on paper copies and not phones. They are not going to touch your documents and/or your phone. I carried all my documents in clear zip lock bags. I went to Patancheru for photocopies as shops are open there till 6 PM.
7. Please DO NOT plan to cross ANY state border between 6 PM to 6 AM. The senior officers may leave and then it is completely on the whims of the people there. AP border police clearly mentioned that they were closing at 830 PM. I started at 1 PM from Hyderabad, Reached AP border at 4 PM, drove all night and reached Orissa border at 6 AM. WB border was around 2 PM. Reached Kolkata at 7 PM.
8. At each border, except WB, please go and inform to the office that you are just passing through. There are separate counters/tables for people passing through and it was almost empty at both AP and OD. We did not know of then and wasted time standing in the general queue to enter the state at AP border.
9. TS had 4 check points between Miyapur to TS border. Everywhere, except the TS border show your TS exit pass from inside the car by placing it on the window. They are reading it and letting go if there are no questions. At TS border you need to get down and register your and the vehicle details. There is a HP petrol pump right over there and you should fill your tank up.
10. At AP border you have to mandatorily get off the road, they have created a huge parking area where you need to park and go to the counters to register yourself. They may be announcing that anyone with any reason other than medical cases would not be allowed into the state. Please do not argue with them, they are very helpful and are working extremely hard for us in this tremendous heat. Just tell them you are passing through and show the WB entry papers as proof. Show your original ID (everyone has to produce including the driver) and anything else they may ask and if they approve they will give a tiny bit of paper which says which AP border you crossed. You need to preserve it till you exit AP. It is extremely tiny, so be extremely careful. We started from AP border at 5 PM. There were 11 checkpoints within AP where we were stopped and asked to show our papers. We showed the TS exit letter, the WB entry letter and the small chit we got from the AP border. Except 2 places, we did not have to get down from the car. Please note that there were several more check posts which were empty which must have been active during the day. Please plan accordingly.
11. At OD border they have made elaborate arrangements. Again, please mention upfront that you are passing through to WB and they will take you details at a separate counter and issue you a hand written pass which is valid for OD. Please ensure that the date, vehicle number and no of persons travelling is mentioned correctly in the pass, if not get a fresh one, please do not get it scribbled and corrected upon. It took me 20 mins at the OD border to get the pass and I was the only one asking for a through pass at that time, please imagine how much time it will take when there are many people. At OD exit, they will ask you to get down and register details. Within OD were asked to show the OD pass at 3 places, nothing else was asked for.
12. Finally at WB border there will probably be a huge queue. Please park and go ahead and show your documents. EVERY person WILL be screened for fever and several questions will be asked, including swab test. If they have any kind of doubts, they will ask you to go for the test. They have a full hotel there being used as a quarantine center and doctors are available there. Please do not argue with anyone as they have the final say.
13. Special mention: MH and DL registered vehicles are NOT being allowed to enter WB.
14. After all checks, if approved, WB will give you a certificate with vehicle details and details of all the passengers in your car. Please check it for all correctness. We found an error after we were 20 KMs inside and had to go back again to get a fresh one. It took us over 2 hours there, but we found people waiting there for half a day too because of document or other issues.
15. We saw them sending people in any public transport like busses, trax, tempo travelers, cycles, walking, rickshaws, vans to a separate queue, not sure what more was done there with them, so cannot comment. People thinking of any other mode of transport other than personal cars should enquire more.
16. After that there are checkpoints in Debra and Uluberia, how the WB entry pass and the WB border pass to go beyond.
17. Please note that the police and doctors are working to help us, so do not misbehave with them or argue or shout. They will consider every case, so please be patient.
18. Most roadside hotels, dhabas and restaurants were closed. So please carry enough food with you to last you for 2 days. I stopped at reliance pumps for their clean bathrooms which they said they were regularly disinfecting (we witnessed one) and clean cold water. Carry enough bottles to refill. Do not throw away empty bottles and litter the roads.
19. I do not think that any hotel will let you stay for the night or take rest, so please plan to drive all the way. I had thought of taking rest in the fuel pumps if I feel tired or sleepy, but I did not have to, so I cannot comment on whether they will allow you to park and rest. Saw a couple coming from Bangalore taking rest in of the pumps. Always go to the bigger pumps who have better facilities. Do not let your fuel tank run low, many pumps, especially in the cities were closed at night after 6.
20. Last but not the least, please travel only if genuine reason is there, if they stop you at the WB border and do not allow, you will be left in the middle of the field to fend for yourself